HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:54 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2012
194 Posts
Question
Trying to decide on repairing a PCM10X or buying a used module based Tx

I currently have a DX8, but I'd like another Tx that uses modules so I can use frsky ppm and also things like dragonlink for FPV eventually.

I have the option of sending in a PCM10X a friend gave me to repair an issue with the touch screen or buy a used radio.

I have no idea how much the repair would be on the 10X (or if the screens are even still available) but I'm guessing $200+

Is it worth getting this one repaired (since it might happen one day again) or should I buy a 9303/9503 or is there another good Tx with modules in the back in the 200-300 range?
DaMaDo is offline Find More Posts by DaMaDo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:10 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,631 Posts
From memory the PCM 10x was THE Rolls Royce of radios when it came out, so it might be worthwhile; do you know how old it island if it's had a hard (glow/diesel/petrol models) or easy (gliders/electric) life? If it was the latter and in good condition other than the screen I'd be inclined to enquire how much a repair wold be at least.
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My OpenTX Taranis templates...
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:51 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2012
194 Posts
Yeah I like the feel of the radio and it looks unused. My friend used it back in 2003 or 2004 or somewhere around there to fly scale airplanes.

I contacted horizon and they said they couldn't give me a quote until I sent it in. It costs $40 for them to just look at it and the shipping round trip from Fl to Ca will probably be around $30 total.

Whole repair could end up costing over $300 once all added up.

Such a nice radio it's hard to decide.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 05:43 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,504 Posts
You can do what I decided in this thread, using an even venerable version of this radio, a PCM10Z: switch it to an alternative advanced 9X board, which coupled with the er9x firmware and the formidable hardware of JR, will give you a radio doing more than anything current in the $400 ballpark.
The costs are: $54 the board partially populated, $6 the screen, and a lot of work ! But what a radio you will have after...
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Jun 16, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:41 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,776 Posts
I had all the 10 series radios - x-s-sx and really liked em -at the time
The downside is the battery system on em-which could be annoying and also the radio really slurped up power. recharge each time out
A sprinkle of rain on the screen easily migrated around the edges and killed screen in spots .
BUT the touch programming was fast n easy
. Also it was heavy- so for a nostalgia thing - do it but for ease of use - the new stuff really beats it.
As many have found- the DX8 is about as handy as things get -for the buck
The X347 738 JR radios work great as module upgrades go and use an easily replaced battery of 1500ma-
That's the route I took for a module radio- I just stick in any JR compatible module- FrSky- Spektrum-old 53.xx whatever -
funny - -first time out I knocked trims all the way over - (habit from hitting digital trims)
The 8 n18 have , I fear, spoiled me --EZ and light to use and to hold also the model match etc- is there -
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Last edited by richard hanson; Jun 16, 2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 03:06 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2012
194 Posts
@RENATOA
That's a pretty cool, idea, I might try that if I don't fix it...since it would be an entertaining project instead of just throwing the 10X away. I'll wait until that 4.2 version is out. I'd need to see which LCD would fit in here though.

@richard
I didn't know about the battery draining of the old radios. Something to consider. I'd probably do the eneloop mod, though I'm not sure how the life on those would be. My main worry is the touchscreen going out again.

Wish there was some "trick" to make that tiny area work again.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:58 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2012
194 Posts
I don't suppose anyone knows where I can get a replacement touchscreen shown in the attachment? Not sure if that number is a part number.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:33 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,504 Posts
I can get you mine, relics from my PCM10Z, will check what P/N is.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:20 PM
United Kingdom, Slough
Joined Aug 2003
1,962 Posts
From memory the 10Z touch screen is different to the 10X. The way the screen is held in place differs. The 10X screws are from the inside but on previous systems the screw in from the outside. You have to remove the thin long label stickered under the screen. There are then 3 or 4 screws that screw into the outer housing of the touch screen.
theaton56 is offline Find More Posts by theaton56
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:12 AM
Quincy IL
Joined Jul 2006
504 Posts
I would just contact JR in Illinois (Horizon Hobby) and find out what the cost of the LCD panel is.

Alternate would be to send it in for an estimate. JR service is very good at providing on their upper level radio systems.

Hugh owner of two PCM 10X systems.
Hugh P is online now Find More Posts by Hugh P
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:18 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2012
194 Posts
The cost of sending it in is shipping plus $40 for them to just look at it. I can get an almost new 9303 for $200 which would be cheaper than fixing it. But I don't know how much better the 10X is and if it's worth the extra cost.

It's also temping to keep this and just do that modification that renatoa linked.

I'm still just trying to figure out what the better option is.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:31 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,391 Posts
I guess the question is whether you want to have a used 9303 for $200 or a used 10X for approx. $200?
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:45 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2012
194 Posts
Yep...and I don't know the difference yet :/

Also, 10X sells for about $250 here and on ebay so I could just bypass everything and just buy one that works for cheaper than sending it back.

Seeing the 9303 selling for a little less used and not knowing how much better one is over the other makes it confusing to decide.