HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:22 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Oct 2004
447 Posts
Question
What is the difference between these 2 antennas?

These came as a stock antenna in 900mhz VTx VRx units from two different vendors.
They all are referred as "Stock Antennas" but there's got to be a difference between them (other than the size of course). Both can be bent 90 degrees at any direction.

If you wouldn't mind sharing...
iskoos is offline Find More Posts by iskoos
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:27 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,670 Posts
One is a base loaded 1/4 wave whip (has a little spring looking thing in the bottom).
The other is a 1/2 wave bazooka dipole.
The 2nd is likely a significantly better antenna, but you pay a significant weight/drag penalty.
Sometimes the whip will go as far as you need, although at 900Mhz they're notoriously bad.
Search for "modding junk 900Mhz antenna".

Personally, if I were ever to go back to 900Mhz, I'd just build myself a simple Vee.
That antenna has worked great for me on 1.3Ghz if using linear polarization.

The Rx antennas for 900Mhz are often a significant limiting factor. The LCOM 900Mhz patch
has an undersized ground plane. Should look into getting a biquad if you stick with
linear polarization, or a crosshair if you move to circular polarization.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:31 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,987 Posts
Depending on the vendors, worst case scenario is they work the same. Best case scenario, the little whip is 3dbi and the bigger one is about 5dbi, which would be a noticeable difference.
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:40 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,670 Posts
Actually, there's no reason the big one should have higher gain. It's just a dipole rather
than a whip and doesn't appear to be more than twice as long. But with a real counterpoise it
should perform better.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:55 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Oct 2004
447 Posts
Thanks. I don't have much FPV experience. I have yet to discover the range difference between these two antennas.

-I have heard of Cloverleaf antennas. Like the one on the left but with a spherical shaped wires on the top. I guess it is considered circular polarized. It wasn't very expensive. Is this better than the Vee style if I am wiling to switch to circular polarization?

-Could the above antennas be cross-used? Like one on the VTx and the other is on VRx?
If yes, would it matter which one is on the VTx?

-Daemon, you said "if you were ever to go back to 900Mz..." Did it not work for you? That's all I have unfortunately...
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:59 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Oct 2004
447 Posts
Also is the one on right called "Rubber Duck" antenna? I found conflicting info on this. Some websites call both of them as "whip antenna".
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:27 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,670 Posts
A "Rubber Ducky" is actually a neither of the above. It's usually a short (1/4 wave or less)
base loaded antenna (sometimes the whole antenna is base loading, with no straight part)
enclosed in a flexible housing. Mostly commonly used on CBs and other handheld radios.
Some people mistakenly refer to the antenna on the right as a rubber ducky.

Generally you should expect extremely poor performance if you try to use either of those
antennas on the Rx side. Go with what I said above. If you stick with linear polarization,
then use a biquad on the Rx. If you move to CP, then use a crosshair on the Rx.
There's lots of threads here about antennas. It's a major key to success.
See the "How to be successful" sticky thread at the top of the forum, for more info.

I used to use 900Mhz but found it performed very poorly in urban or near urban areas
due to a lot of external interference. Worked fine in rural areas.

ian
RCG Plus Member