HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined May 2012
1 Posts
Discussion
Phoenix 4 Flight Simulator and iMac

Does anyone run this program on iMac? I bought one iMac last Nov. and not sure if this will run on it. The information on the Phoenix box says yes, then the web says not if the older OSX is loaded. I called Best Buy and thay said that my iMac has OSX lion so will not sure....Thanks for any help
yomapa is offline Find More Posts by yomapa
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:26 PM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,296 Posts
From the Phoenix web site support page

Quote:
What do I need to successfully use Phoenix R/C?

To successfully use Phoenix, you will need the following:

• IBM-compatible PC computer with 1.0 Ghz Pentium 3/4 or AMD Athlon/64 compatible processor

• Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 operating system
• 256MB system memory (RAM)
• 1.5 GB free, uncompressed hard-disk space*
• ATI Radeon 9800/NVidia Geforce Ti4200 with at least 128MB memory
• Microsoft DirectX 9.0c or higher
• DVD-ROM Drive for installation
• 1 free USB 1.1/2.0 port
• 100% DirectX 9 compatible sound card (optional)

Or alternatively:

• An Intel-based Apple Macintosh computer running Microsoft Windows XP, Vista or 7 under one of the following systems:

• Bootcamp (recommended)
• VMWare Fusion (latest version)
• Parallels (latest version)

Phoenix does not run on older non-Intel Macintosh computers, or the Apple OSX operating system.
In other words, you need Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 installed on your computer.

So technically you can't run Phoenix using OS X but you can run it in a Windows virtual machine on a OS X (or Linux?) based host. I wouldn't expect much in performance though.
GooberSB is online now Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:18 AM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
I run Phoenix 4 on my "old" (2009) MacBookPro 17".
As Goober said, you need to have Windows installed on your Mac, easiest/cheapest/fastest way to do that would be through BootCamp.

I run Windows 7 through Parallels, and have no problem at all with performance running at 1920x1200 resolution with all graphic options enabled. It should be no performance problem at all with your iMac, especially when booting the machine as a clean winbox with BootCamp - the only downside is that you need to buy Windows7 (I needed it to be able to run some work related programs on mine, so I got work to pay for Windows/Parallels )
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:25 PM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,905 Posts
I just bought Phoenix 4. I have an iMac with Win 7 running in Parallels 6. When I try to install Phoenix, it says, "Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified paths are valid." I can't even get the installer to startup.

Any ideas?
slopeiron is online now Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:14 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,850 Posts
Sim for Mac

This is the only sim I know of that will work on a Mac . http://www.aerofly.com/
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:51 AM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,905 Posts
Yes, but I'm not looking to run it on the Mac OS. I want to run it under Windows. Just need to figure out why the installer won't run. Sounds like other people are running Phoenix in this environment.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:06 PM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Are you running the installer as Administrator? It's a while since I installed Phoenix (was v3 then and have upgraded over Internet since...), but I seem to recall that I either hat to run the installer as Admin or in Vista-compatibility mode...
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:05 AM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,905 Posts
I got it figured out. The problem was that the disc did not autorun. If you look at autorun.inf, all it says is OPEN=setup.exe. So I was running the setup.exe and it was throwing an error. But if you run the PhoenixRC.msi then the install works.

Anyway, thanks for the help. My 7 year old son has been having a ball. I got it to teach him how to fly.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Macs do NOT run .exe files. They run .app files, hence the need for some sort of Ms operating system. I ran mine using Vmware a few times. But I quit and bought a PC just for the sim because of the need to partition lots of harddisk space for Phoenix.. It's somewhere around 2.5g..
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Mar 06, 2014, 08:28 AM
Joined Sep 2012
106 Posts
Hi

Can I run the Phoenix sim on Windovs 7 without graphiccart, but only with my fast motherboard and ssd harddisk.

Cant get my graphiccart working after refreshing w7?
cosey321 is offline Find More Posts by cosey321