Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:05 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,580 Posts
Build Log
BBCC 3 Guillow's B-29 Superfortress Conversion Smokin' Beaver

Hi everyone,
This is the start of a build of the Guillow's B-29 for the Balsa Builders Conversion Competition # 3 competition over on the "Balsa Builders" forum - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1989790
I won this kit on E-bay and will do my bit on elevating the price of the remaining kits in circulation by building it and flying it.
The box is pretty much history, it is not at all worthy of keeping and pretending it is a rare commodity, the gizzards inside are well handled and so it is destined to be put to the sky.

And so we begin........

Edit - 01 December 2013;
Maiden flight successful, CG at 15% MAC. Flight time 5 minutes on a 1500 ma/hr 3S pack.
AUFW 27 oz. No trims required to flight control surfaces. Flight video on page 12, post # 166.
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Last edited by Smokin' Beaver; Dec 01, 2013 at 05:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:23 AM
United Kingdom, England, East Riding of Yorkshire
Joined Jan 2011
621 Posts
Hi Phil – you're the one to make this work – look forward to following this build with envy! Good luck!

Charles
Spitfire1954 is online now Find More Posts by Spitfire1954
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:32 PM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Congratulations! you dog You.......

Looking forward this one big time.

All the Best,

Mark
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:11 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,895 Posts
Oh boy. I'm buckling my seatbelt...

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:27 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,466 Posts
Still got one, still in shrink wrap, Phil. Bought it new, in Fla, late 80's, IIRC. Haven't laid eyes on the box in yrs. I was not even in electric back then. God knows what I had in mind for IC power. I can't envelope the thought that I may had been thinking (4) screaming TD .020's! Not to mention getting them all running. Being much younger then, I probably was...

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:06 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,917 Posts
Fuzz, "I probably was" what?
Oh, Fla in the 80's, nevermind. Have anything to do with a square grouper?

The owner of the LHS gave me a partial kit and I was going to build one for the fun build. I stalled trying to find a suitable motor to spin a DIY 6" 4 blade prop. That's when I decided to build the Stinson instead.

Signing on, this outta be good!

Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:01 PM
Buddha
United States, PA, Sellersville
Joined Apr 2011
236 Posts
Phil
I have to climb on board also. Looking foward to it. Much entertainment

Rick
R. Martin is offline Find More Posts by R. Martin
Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:51 AM
Near Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
Tuned in !
Parkk is online now Find More Posts by Parkk
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:14 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,605 Posts
Yah, put me in too. I'm bound to learn something useful, although my own builds suffer by comparison. Pity Guillows never did a Lanc.

Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Jun 16, 2012, 05:22 PM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Yea, yea, me too!
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Old Jun 16, 2012, 05:57 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,580 Posts
Thanks chaps - looks like some interest indeed in this one.
Being a slow-build, I'm starting to think about whether to do retracts or not as a starting point.
Of course if i do that then I have to add a sequencer for the gear doors, door servo/s etc
Some good stuff around now but will still add the better part of 5 oz to the AUW.
I've not measured the wing area yet to work out a target weight, that will come later.

These look nice and about the correct size but ~100 grams before wheels and legs?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...em_Small_.html
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:46 PM
United States, NM, Farmington
Joined Jun 2008
840 Posts
I'd Go for it. 5 Oz. on a plane of this size isn't really adding that much.
Corelli is offline Find More Posts by Corelli
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:19 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corelli View Post
I'd Go for it. 5 Oz. on a plane of this size isn't really adding that much.
The wing, like the Guillows B-24, is very slender. After the B-17, bombers acquired their lift with improved speed, airfoils and airfoil modifiers. 5 oz would be an awful lot for this plane. I would keep it simple as possible. A scale function, like bomb drop/doors could be done with minimal weight penalty.

Adding weight increasing functions, like retracts is like a dog chasing it's tail. Next more power, then heavier batteries. Increased structure. Before you know it, you have a B-29 out running an F-16, in scale flight fidelity. It's so easy to let ones mind run away with impressive full scale functionality(and a lot of times, not stopping short of making engine droning noise's, in our minds). But the most successful and usable models, come from reality planning and mental discretion.

I see a lot of this, here in the forums. Romanticism takes over common sense, and the builder ends up with a not so enjoyable model, that does not get flown often enough to get comfortable with. This ends up creating a hangar queen, or..a plastic bag filler.

I am guilty of all this myself. Having been there, I only perform such things after enlargement of such designs.

Phil, K.I.S.S. And wow the crowd with flyabilty.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:46 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,231 Posts
Oh Pshaw!, Guillows models fly on sheer boyish enthusiasm and luck getting past the maiden. Getting the CG right and letting it lift off on it's own from a paved surface, when ready, should help along with gentle banks and climb angles. The patron saint of Guilllows conversions can do it
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:03 PM
United States, NM, Farmington
Joined Jun 2008
840 Posts
Ive converted the 28"; P-51(X2),Spitfire,Zero and P-40. The 16" P-40 and Chipmunk. The 30" P-47. The 32" Hellcat. The 30" F4U Corsair. In my opinion that plane has tons of wing and should take the weight no problem.
Corelli is offline Find More Posts by Corelli