Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:38 PM
I like to fly!
United States, WI, Monona
Joined May 2011
227 Posts
Discussion
1/3 Pietenpol Air Camper Help

Hi guys,
I decided I would like to build a 1/3 Scale Air Camper from scaled down plans of a real air camper. I've seen a few online, but have had trouble contacting the builders. Does anyone know where I could obtain enough of the plans to build the aircraft? I'm not looking for the full plans, because I obviously will be improvising much of it. I simply need to know a lot of the measurements, how the 3-piece wing goes together (with a 116" wingspan, I kind of need those things to pop off!), and just little information like that. Measurements is the number one issue.

Anyways, I'm thinking of building the fuselage from 3/8" or 1/2" balsa, as apposed to the 1" Spruce in the real one. I'm thinking pretty much strictly balsa, except for the landing gear, wing struts, and the supports through the wing, which will be made from a much harder wood or aluminum where it permits.

Any information would be great!

Thanks,

Alex
alexkmmll is offline Find More Posts by alexkmmll
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:59 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,226 Posts
I built a 1/4 scale Pete for a Museum,years ago,using the full scale plans as a guide.
The Experimental Aircraft Association has them available,still,and they scale down easily.There are full size rib drawings,which I had reduced to 25%.Every measurement is there,and it's a light weight structure....This can truly be a "miniature aircraft".

I used the built-up ribs,manufactured in a fixture,and that was a very enjoyable build.I'd start the evening making a rib,then go on to other parts of the project.
Each day yielded a new rib,and great satisfaction.

The plans were in one of their magazines,years ago,but e-mail 'em and someone will help you out,with prices and availability.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:02 AM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,095 Posts
The PIETENPOL FAMILY has the official website available!

Dear Alexkmmll:

The PIPE Here...even though two weeks ago I completed my second associate's degree program in my lifetime (business administration) to help END my nearly four years of unemployment (laid off way back in September 2008) and had two interviews during this week ( a business office position on Monday, and an electro-mechanical assembly "preliminary" interview with a major job recruiter on Thursday) I "keep busy" in a small way with the RC hobby even while I'm out of work - before I can afford to get back to it again, which DOES require a full-time job once more - by practicng my "stick & knob" skills...

...yep, I'm STRICTLY a "knobby radio" flyer...with the Aerofly Pro Deluxe flightsim on my PC here at home, and keeping in touch with my fellow RCers here at RCGroups, before I can eventually rejoin my local RC club once I'm working again.

For your "Pete Plans" needs, the descendants of Bernie himself DO have their "family website" for the plans on the 'Net ...and it's through THERE that you can get the info needed to go for the full-scale Pietenpol Air Camper plans, in all its variations for your needs.

Thanks to some help here at RCGroups, not too long ago I managed to get copies of a VERY good pair of magazine-published scale drawings of the Air Camper from a long-defunct American aeromodeling magazine, and I'll be using those along with either my copy of AutoCAD 2009 LT, or in my very useful copy of DesignCAD 3DMax v.17 (both installed and READY to use at any time!), to eventually CAD-up an Air Camper planset for a "somewhat smaller" 3 inch = 1 foot quarter scale size, for either a Saito FA-100 glow or the newer FG-17 gasser four-stroke mills. The scale prop size for the Air Camper in 1/4th scale is just about 15 inches from measuring those plans, "scaled properly" in my copy of DesignCAD, so a mill of that displacement as a four-stroker can easily swing a scale sized prop, with a 1/3 scale Air Camper's prop measuring just about 20 inches in diameter..

Give the Pietenpol family's website a checkout...it JUST might be the place you've been looking for!

Hope this helps...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Last edited by The PIPE; May 09, 2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:31 PM
I like to fly!
Joined May 2011
227 Posts
The PIPE,

I knew that you can still get the Pietenpol plans, but they are over $100, which isn't unreasonable at all for an actual airplane. But I'm looking for a minimal cost model. $100 is a pretty hefty fee for plans! I'm going to see if I can't contact them and tell them what's up, but we'll see what happens!
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkmmll View Post
The PIPE,

I knew that you can still get the Pietenpol plans, but they are over $100, which isn't unreasonable at all for an actual airplane. But I'm looking for a minimal cost model. $100 is a pretty hefty fee for plans! I'm going to see if I can't contact them and tell them what's up, but we'll see what happens!
I can't help you with the issue of EAA,but I'm going to a Chapter Pancake Breakfast Tmr'w,and I'll certainly ask around for you.
The magazine was late 70's I believe....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:02 PM
I like to fly!
Joined May 2011
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
I can't help you with the issue of EAA,but I'm going to a Chapter Pancake Breakfast Tmr'w,and I'll certainly ask around for you.
The magazine was late 70's I believe....
Wow, thanks! That would mean a lot! Let me know how it goes, and enjoy your pancakes

Alex
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:16 AM
Biplane Fan
Trevelin-Patagonia Argentina
Joined Jul 2006
73 Posts
Hi Alex

I write just to tell you that I am finishing a 1/3 scale pietenpol sky scout fromthe original plans, published in the EAA manuals. Every detail is there, as measurements also. Years ago I`ve started a topic inRCGroups, but i didn`t finished because of personal problems here. I am inthe stage of starting to cover the plane.
here is my email address, write to me, I have plenty of photos and info about it.

Hernan
Biplanero is offline Find More Posts by Biplanero
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:58 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
United States, TX, Sweetwater
Joined Mar 2005
1,584 Posts
Easy! Contact the EAA, at Oshkosh, and have them send you the volumn of the Flying and Glider manual that has the Pete in it. Not only will you have the Pete plans, but a host of other entertaining reading.
Last I checked, the Flying and Glider manuals were $15 each.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkmmll View Post
Hi guys,
I decided I would like to build a 1/3 Scale Air Camper from scaled down plans of a real air camper. I've seen a few online, but have had trouble contacting the builders. Does anyone know where I could obtain enough of the plans to build the aircraft? I'm not looking for the full plans, because I obviously will be improvising much of it. I simply need to know a lot of the measurements, how the 3-piece wing goes together (with a 116" wingspan, I kind of need those things to pop off!), and just little information like that. Measurements is the number one issue.

Anyways, I'm thinking of building the fuselage from 3/8" or 1/2" balsa, as apposed to the 1" Spruce in the real one. I'm thinking pretty much strictly balsa, except for the landing gear, wing struts, and the supports through the wing, which will be made from a much harder wood or aluminum where it permits.

Any information would be great!

Thanks,

Alex
challenger_i is offline Find More Posts by challenger_i
Old Jun 17, 2012, 07:18 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,226 Posts
Hi Alex-I got the same information yesterday as was just posted here......the flying and glider manual,from the EAA.

On all my third scale models,I get an old,junk,straight shaft weed whacker,to use as a wing joiner....the aluminum shaft housing is extremely strong..When used as a wing joiner,you can attach through the inboard ribs of the wing,and locate the joiner in the center section of the Pete's wing.

The wing struts need to be functional,but I've flown my 1/3 scale J-3 without them,as a test.Inboard wing ribs need to be 1/8 " A/C plywood,for as long as the tube extends into the wing on each side.

Contrary to popular opinion,a phenolic or cardboard wing tube is not necessary.....but it's easier to install the wing if you have one.

I'd recommend spruce longerons,or very hard balsa ones,from my experience....Balsa is plenty strong enough,but doesn't handle "hangar rash" well.....The older the plane gets,the more noticeable the bumps become.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:35 AM
I like to fly!
Joined May 2011
227 Posts
Thanks for the information! I'll definitely be looking around for everything I need.The only thing I'm still looking for (I got my hands on some pretty good plans) is a scale drawing of the ribs not through the aileron that I can blow up to the size I need. You guys wouldn't happen to have one laying around, would you?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:36 AM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,095 Posts
Ask and you shall recieve....

Dear Alex:

The PIPE Here AGAIN...just spotted your request for some WING STRUCTURE info...check out the attached photos, which I found on the Net through "googling" for 'em, and thanks to my copy of the Corel Graphics Suite 12, "here they are" for your needs!

Enjoy, and hope these photos are useful !!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Old Jun 17, 2012, 04:07 PM
Biplane Fan
Trevelin-Patagonia Argentina
Joined Jul 2006
73 Posts
The Pipe

Your photos just remembered me when I built my 1/3 scale Peit, see this photos
Biplanero is offline Find More Posts by Biplanero
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:36 PM
I like to fly!
Joined May 2011
227 Posts
Hey guys,
So I have the Flying and Glider Manual issue with the Piet plans in it on its way as I type, so, very very soon, you shall see a Build Log titled "1/3 Scale Air Camper." I will be starting out with the wings. I will be building two rib jigs and hope to get four ribs done a day (Two ribs in the morning, two ribs at night after work)! Then I can start on the fuselage. This weekend, I'm building myself a new workbench, so I'll even have a nice clean workspace for all of this stuff, too!