HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:20 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,495 Posts
Lots of questions here, so here goes.

1 Fan or 2:
I think it will fly fine on one 90mm, but as I said before, my kits are very modifiable. A second fan can be easily added.

Panel Lines & Rivets:

The best results is to use my panel line tape after the LS2 stage. Details are at http://www.wowplanes.com/product_inf...roducts_id=172

I draw the panel line locations with pencil or a Sharpie using a flexible straight edge made from a flexible sheet of plastic. Then I add the tape using the pencil lines as a guide.

Then I lay the rivets down next to the panel line using the rivet templates I sell. Details at http://www.wowplanes.com/product_inf...roducts_id=181

Then I spray 1 coat of hi-build primer over the whole plane, and an extra coat around the panel lines. Once the primer has dried, I remove the panel line tape leaving a groove that looks like a recessed panel line, or leave it in place for a raised panel line effect

Easy to do and can be done in a couple of hours. Now I am ready for the final paint scheme. See the results in the pics below.

LS2:
1 set of LS2 should be enough for this size jet. I prefer brushing it on because spray requires special spray equipment and breathing apparatus. Not everybody is set up for that. Using a disposable foam brush does a great job. See my online tutorial at http://www.wowplanes.com/product_inf...roducts_id=130

Canopy:

I am thinking of including the clear canopy because not everybody has the equipment to make one from a foam plug. The principle I use in doing my kits is to provide everything that cannot be purchased from a Hobby Shop.
awrightbrother is offline Find More Posts by awrightbrother
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:21 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,205 Posts
If this is going to be cnc cut foam, why not offer more than one size? Should be easy except for needing another canopy.
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:57 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
If this is going to be cnc cut foam, why not offer more than one size? Should be easy except for needing another canopy.
As you may know, cost is directly proportional to the number of variants. I am trying to keep cost down.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:01 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,302 Posts
+1- make it affordable for us cheapo flyers
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:21 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrightbrother View Post
As you may know, cost is directly proportional to the number of variants. I am trying to keep cost down.
I thought the main work would be in getting the cad files for "T-38 like" shapes. After that I thought you could size them however you like and the cnc cutter would do it's thing. I've only used a cnc cutter for doing wings though. It sounds like you may be planning just one run of parts, in which case it saves time to cut a bunch of the same thing at once.
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:15 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
I thought the main work would be in getting the cad files for "T-38 like" shapes. After that I thought you could size them however you like and the cnc cutter would do it's thing. I've only used a cnc cutter for doing wings though. It sounds like you may be planning just one run of parts, in which case it saves time to cut a bunch of the same thing at once.
I used to cut a batch, but with the number of models I have and growing, storage space was becoming a problem. I work out of my home.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:33 PM
Fly more Foam
United States, IN, Sellersburg
Joined Jun 2004
851 Posts
Yes he is! Fahim is a one person operation and does EVERYTHING so to speak.
I believe the most practicle way to start is with ONE airframe, ONE size for the intended power source.
CNC does have its advantages but when scaling up to a different size opens the issues of construction techniques that come along with changing sizes of even the same CAD drawn airframe, not to mention the limits of the availible CNC platform in use.
Ask Falcon5, aka Andy on how his construction would differ if he would take the current build down to the size we are proposing.
As the saying goes, "A whole other can of worms!"
The ball is rolling on this so lets see what comes from Wowplanes before we start throwing in different sizes, cockpits and what have you.

Maybe AirSally might work with Fahim on ducts if they might be needed????????? The tail section with the 90-100mm fan will be fairly small and an internal duct might be of use to give rigidy and stiffness if needed. Still a few details to work out but at least we are rolling.

Have you noticed the views and reply counts and this thread isnt even a week yet.

Foam On! ...........someone else has credit for that saying!
Sam
sam51401 is offline Find More Posts by sam51401
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:41 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,046 Posts
I'm willing to put up a deposit on a airframe once a price is set in stone.
Mike.
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Last edited by mike2663; Jun 21, 2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: spellcheck took the day off
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:01 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Good idea. I'd be willing to do the same if required. I bet others would do that too.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:07 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,626 Posts
yes i would be willing to tool up and make the ducts ...maybe a bifurcated tailpipe also .just need a fuse so i can carve some plugs.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:24 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,553 Posts
Man with A/S ducts this would be one sweeeet bird!!!
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:28 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,495 Posts
Thank you guys for your vote of confidence. I will let you know if I need a deposit, once I have the first cuts done.
Fahim
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:00 PM
Everett, WA
Joined Aug 2002
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663 View Post
I'm willing to put up a deposit on a airframe once a price is set in stone.
Mike.
Same here!
eaticus is offline Find More Posts by eaticus
Old Jun 23, 2012, 06:24 AM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,077 Posts
i,mvery interested in a kit myself. Phil
mrshea is offline Find More Posts by mrshea
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:12 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,495 Posts
Update:

I have been busy working on the fuselage. First cut turned out good but I am not fully satisfied. Second cut this weekend. The fuse is usually the most complex and takes several tries to get it right. The T38 does have many compound curves, making it a real challenge.

Stay tuned. Hope to have some pics soon.

Fahim