SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:02 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Put a light layer of FG on and you've got a composite plane. Noone can tease you for flying a foamie. LOL
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:09 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,041 Posts
I'm in also!
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:37 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam51401 View Post
Lets get the basic stuff first then we can work on the finer details. Fahim does offer a vacform cockpit already for his A-10 which Keith makes and supplies to him.
Yea, Fahim and Keith are already a team on those parts!!!!!! They have already been working back and forth on each others kits and such for some time. I even think Fahim is cutting Keiths MD80 project and a B757

Join the Foam Revolution!!!
I'm just pre planning here.

Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:45 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,538 Posts
I agree with Sam, lets stay focused and lets stick to basics for now, the bells and whistles can always be added later. Making molds and pulling plastic costs time which translates to money as you know?

My kits are designed for builders, and I assume you are all builders. My objective is to provide a basic platform, as scale as possible, that goes together very easily. Then you guys have to put on your creative hats and add/subtract to it. I will cut the parts and document how to assemble them and how to get a finished frame. You don't always have to follow my build exactly, if you have a better idea. Share it with us all.

Fahim
awrightbrother is offline Find More Posts by awrightbrother
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:24 AM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrightbrother View Post
I, lets stay focused and lets stick to basics for now, the bells and whistles can always be added later. Making molds and pulling plastic costs time which translates to money as you know?

My objective is to provide a basic platform, as scale as possible, that goes together very easily. Then you guys have to put on your creative hats and add/subtract to it.
Fahim
Right on..!!!

Basic airframe only....good job. !!!

The individual can glass it if he wants to or keep it foam if he wants to..more options that way.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:25 AM
Everett, WA
Joined Aug 2002
660 Posts
Quote:
OK folks, I have read thru all your comments, and it looks worthwhile to do a 72 incher with the cost analysis posted by erh7771.

But I have one last question. The kit price will be in the $150 range which would put the finished cost around $550, that meets the $400 to $600 finished cost you were hoping for. How many of you are still interested?

Fahim
I am in!
eaticus is offline Find More Posts by eaticus
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:15 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,888 Posts
Quote:
OK folks, I have read thru all your comments, and it looks worthwhile to do a 72 incher with the cost analysis posted by erh7771.

But I have one last question. The kit price will be in the $150 range which would put the finished cost around $550, that meets the $400 to $600 finished cost you were hoping for. How many of you are still interested?

Fahim
I am thinking of buying 2 kits...

How much LS\SS do you think it would need to cover it?

For inspiration here is a smaller 68" F18 twin 90 foam based Haoye F18....notice how the plane can slow down because wing loading is supper light

Nice in air presence

Haoye F-18 twin EDF jet on two 6S lipo packs (3 min 0 sec)
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:25 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,888 Posts
Quote:
Yes you are correct and a clear canopy...
So a clear canopy comes with it?!

If so, VERY nice...if not will you supply the foam canopy cover so one can do a plastic canopy?

Also, what EPS foam density will you be using for the kit?

If it's the high density small bead then we can LS spray that with a 29usd hopper with the big holes attachment...I've done it before and it comes out as hard as a rock....will make in air time even shorter

Thx in advance
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:58 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
Put a light layer of FG on and you've got a composite plane. Noone can tease you for flying a foamie. LOL
Or if the foam is dense enough 2 - 3 layers of LS2\SS1K can be sprayed or brushed on in less than a couple of hours..

Here are some picks of the 68" foamy KMP F18 redone as a super hornet and glassed with retract mounts

The only thing missing is panel lines...I would love to know how some make panel lines practically.

I'm looking forward to this, seems like a good mid level builders kit seeing the frame is already done.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by erh7771; Jun 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:18 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,749 Posts
I have tinkered with panel lines a bit.
For foamies, I found for best results, apply lines before glassing.

I like to use straight edges like a metal ruler. Turn it on its side and press it into the foam and you have one thin indentation that has a nice effect. Turn the edge of the ruler and stand it vertical, this is a perfect tool for making smaller panel lines. I have also found using straight edges on their side is far easier to make straight panels all the way across a wing or up and down a fuse.

Let me know how it works out for ya.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined Aug 2008
540 Posts
I may have missed the intended power system.....will it be a single fan or two?

al
rossaer is offline Find More Posts by rossaer
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:53 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,279 Posts
Thin chart tape before primer also works. You can either leave it or pull it off. Looks pretty good if you practice.
Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:08 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,805 Posts
I am in for an F-5 90mm.....subscribed.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:18 PM
Joined Feb 2006
513 Posts
F-5 90mm

Please count me in for one (1)
delperena is online now Find More Posts by delperena
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:18 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossaer View Post
I may have missed the intended power system.....will it be a single fan or two?

al
Wide open, it looks like the unglassed weight of those KPMs were like ....6 or 7lbs which would open the model up to twin 70s

We'll know soon, I think a good portion depends on the density of the EPS...
RCG Plus Member