SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:00 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,065 Posts
I'm getting excited about this. I know several of us have already committed to buy. I think once a good solid build thread gets started ( hint, hint A.S.) that this might take off.

Mike

P.S. I'm still willing to put up a deposit once you get final pricing..
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:50 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrightbrother View Post
I need to sell as few as 10 to breakeven. I am not trying to get rich doing this (no one gets rich in this business) but I do need to cover my expenses and machine time.
i would also need to sell at least 10 set of ducts to cover cost/time of makeing the plugs .most times i make a duct i have sold 70+ sets so im not too worried about this one as there seems to be a lot of interest in this plane.we have enough Talent here to insure that this is successful.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:00 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,709 Posts
Quote:
I hope you are right about the sales. If I can be sure, I would feel much better. The hits are impressive indeed, averaging over 300/day...
Cool,

Right now there are there are very few 400 - 600usd flight cost fighter jets that are in the 1/7th size range and 80% + scale (this comes closer to the 90% IMHO) being sold....

There's KMPs F18 jet but it's less than 1/7th and is a harder build since it was meant to be a pusher.

Quote:
The control surfaces are already cut and so are the servo boxes. The finishing technique is simple too.
Then this starting to sound like a big foamy arf in a way...easy to build and get into the air and wont bust your wallet

Quote:
If I have to spend more than 50 hours of actual work to get it finished, I think that is too much and not for me.
My in air build plan has around 15 - 20 hours so far and that includes liquid sheeting and 10% procrastination time but doesn't include paint and panel lines, I like to get my birds in the air and flying right and landing great before I put time into scaling them out...that's just me.

The only questions is what could be used with the elevator pivot?

Also what hinges do you like using for the foam ailerons and flaps?

What PSI foam?

Regards
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Last edited by erh7771; Jun 27, 2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:33 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,411 Posts
I have been following along, and it looks to me that you have a winner here!

Pivot blocks. Hover or die was looking for much the same thing for his F-22 build. For size I don't know if these will work, or fit, but worth a look.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=51
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined Apr 2003
487 Posts
Quote:
I need to sell as few as 10 to breakeven. I am not trying to get rich doing this (no one gets rich in this business) but I do need to cover my expenses and machine time.
I'm very interested in getting one. I'm with AS on this -- considering the number of hits on this thread (not to mention Falcon's thread that started it all), I think 10 is an underestimate for kit sales!

Can't wait to see some pics of a prototype kit, as well as ducts from AS!

-- Mark
buzzfly is online now Find More Posts by buzzfly
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:55 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,516 Posts
Fahim,

How many parts do you plan on Keith doing as vacform? Just the canopy? I might suggest doing the intake lips as a vac part as well. In foam they would be very fragile. Keith could probably pull the intake back about an inch or so all the way around. So what you would end up with is a vacform ring that would glue to the front of the intakes which would give a more accurate and durable shape. Looking great so far.

Steve
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:17 PM
Fly more Foam
United States, IN, Sellersburg
Joined Jun 2004
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC68 View Post
Fahim,

How many parts do you plan on Keith doing as vacform? Just the canopy? I might suggest doing the intake lips as a vac part as well. In foam they would be very fragile. Keith could probably pull the intake back about an inch or so all the way around. So what you would end up with is a vacform ring that would glue to the front of the intakes which would give a more accurate and durable shape. Looking great so far.

Steve
Very good suggestion Steve. Fahim as already done this on the A-10 and it works great. Keith pulled all his plastic and a fine job at that but remeber for all the plastic parts, someone and more time invested for making the plugs. I have made several smaller parts for my A-10 project and pulled my own. I would be glad to help out on what ever might be needed. IF, IF Fahim wants to keep cost down, maybe me or someone else can add "upgrade" parts like Keith has done for numerous kits and ARF's as offered on his website.
The possiblities are there and will come about in due time i think.

One thought on the intakes, with vacform plastic i dont think the leading edges of the intakes will take such a sharp lip. AS, your thoughts?? Maybe make an outside lip that could mate up on the inside with the leading edge of the intake duct. The other option would be to mold them from glass with say the first inch or so glass then a faired in lip for the intake duct to attach. A few options and we have the brain power to solve it

Sam
sam51401 is offline Find More Posts by sam51401
Old Jun 27, 2012, 05:08 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
How about making the exhause nozzles vacform too? Might be a better fitment to AS's ducting. Just a thought.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:09 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,505 Posts
I love it, keep the creative juices flowing guys
awrightbrother is offline Find More Posts by awrightbrother
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:29 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,793 Posts
best thing to do is make a plastic lip back an inch or to a panel line .i'd break scale here and do a nice radii.say at least ..060" so you have a .125 thick lip and i'll make the ducts so they bell out a bit and slip in out side of the inner wall of the lip .
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:35 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
best thing to do is make a plastic lip back an inch or to a panel line .i'd break scale here and do a nice radii.say at least ..060" so you have a .125 thick lip and i'll make the ducts so they bell out a bit and slip in out side of the inner wall of the lip .
LS2 will work well here to form a plastic edge.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:41 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,793 Posts
what is LS2
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:59 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,516 Posts
LS2 is a coating that a friend of mine manufactures. You paint it on foam and it builds a hard coating. I think the vacform would be easier and more accurate since sanding/shaping very thin foam is going to be VERY tricky at best.

I think falcon5 used LS2 on his T-38 build.
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:06 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
what is LS2
Some call it "Fahim's Miracle Juice"
Watch the tutorial here http://www.wowplanes.com/product_inf...roducts_id=130
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:44 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,568 Posts
I just watched 4 videos on the 84" Firoenzi T-38 and at 18 pounds it flew beautifly and landed great. Ours at 81" and much lighter should be a joy to fly.

Man guys I think this foam version is going to be awesome!!!! I really think this is going to be one sweeet plane to build and fly.

With all the care being taken on the finer points of EDF like inlets and the shape of things she's gona' be a real winner.

Here is one video at 2:06 has Bob himself and Shulman talking about how their T-38 fly's

Fiorenze's T38 at Florida Jets (3 min 38 sec)
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5