HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:37 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
The MJX F45 is sourced from exactly hte same design house as the DH9116. It's simply a bigger version of the same heli. By all accounts, the electronics are much improved. However, it shares the 9116 design and weight issues. That makes it even more stable, with less movement authority. The design points I refer to probably won't mean much to you, but both of these helis use a 45 offset flybar with a 120 swashplate. These are the only helis made that use this combination of features, which are intended to dumb down response and movement.

Again, not a bad heli, but a poor choice as a trainer.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2012, 03:16 PM
Finding Creative Ways To Crash
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
I see.

Balr14, I appreciate your honesty, and for taking the time to explain. Hahahaa, even though you had to explain it twice, I believe your point of considering a model that will help prepare for advancement is beginning to sink into my thick skull.

Are there a few models, let's say a "Top 3" that you can recommend with confidence? Obviously durability, (See Avatar) and availability of spare parts, will be a key factor. I guess I should also mention my reason's for considering the 9116 and F45. I was looking for a larger heli with the thought that it would be easier to see/orient direction, able to "buck" the wind a little better, and possibly carry a payload such as a camera. It sound's silly now that I see how tricky these things are to fly, but I also hoped to be able to pick-up and set down lite object's as a "test" of skills, so to speak.

Again, thanks for the help.

-Pat
RCCrashTestDummy is offline Find More Posts by RCCrashTestDummy