HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:38 PM
Finding Creative Ways To Crash
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Discussion
Help with first order...Please

Hi Everyone,

I been looking around doing a lot of reading and I think I'm ready to jump in the game...(Famous last words right?) I was pretty dead-set on starting out with a 9116 but after reading of the countless crashes I've come to the conclusion that my pocket book will be far better off to start with a more durable/easier-to-fly model and I've chosen the WL V911. Basically, just learn on the little guys, then give the 9116 a try.

I'm trying to keep this first step/order under $200 and here's what I've come-up with so far:

x1 $40.55 New WLtoys V911 2.4GHz 4 Channel Gyro Remote Control RC Helicopter(Mode 2) (Complete Kit heli/radio/charger/batt's) http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Ne...)-p-36779.html

x1 $19.98ea. Replacement WLtoys WL V911 2.4GHz 4CH RC Helicopter (Only Helicopter) http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Re...)-p-39473.html

x1 $3.83 4 x WLtoys V911 Balance Bar Helicopter Repair and Replacement part http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-4-...ign=rp_alsobuy

x1 $1.99 2 xWLtoys V911 Tail Blade Helicopter Repair and Replacement part http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-2-...ign=rp_alsobuy

x2 $13.75 5 Pcs WLtoys V911 RC Helicopter Spare Parts Upgraded 145mah Battery http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-5-...s-p-46267.html

x1 $3.99 5 Pairs of Main Blade Black and Orange For WLtoys V911 Helicopter Repair and Replacement part http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-5-...t-p-43760.html

x1 $89.15 Double Horse 9116 2.4G 4CH RC Helicopter With Gyro http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Do...o-p-39579.html

x1 $5.85 3 Pairs of Main Blades For Double Horse 9116 Helicopter 9116-04 http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-3-...4-p-44413.html

x2 $1.05 Double Horse 9116 Helicopter Tail Blade, Part 9116-19 http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Do...9-p-40983.html

x2 $3.19 Double Horse 9116 Helicopter Balance Bar, Part 9116-01 http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Do...1-p-40938.html

That order's got me around the $200 mark but I still need a extra batt for the 9116 and I'm not sure which one to get...Hoping for a reasonably priced upgrade. All item's are in stock except a back-up charger for the V911 so I left it off for now.

This list is VERY flexible and I'll wait to hear from you guys first. I've never ordered anything from overseas before and was wondering if you guys trust/regularly use your credit cards, or do you prefer a safer method of payment?

Thanks for any help,

Pat
RCCrashTestDummy is offline Find More Posts by RCCrashTestDummy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:46 PM
9958 gave me the toilet bowl
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Just buy the first two on the list and 1 set of 5 batteries. The DH 9116 can come later when you learn how to fly. If something on the V911 breaks, then buy replacement parts. When one is grounded, you can fly the other one.
Proud Infidel is offline Find More Posts by Proud Infidel
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:19 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,864 Posts
Noo.. Just buy the 911 RTF. No spares.. Yet.
Always lotsa time to buy more.. later.. IF.. you actually decide you need them... seriously Unlikely in my experiences.
These are tough little rascals and you should, unless there is some erm.. medical issue.. be mastering it within a day or 2, 3 at most.
Frankly, once learned these are really kinda borring.
Learn to avoid the furniture , move on to chasing the Cat a bit. Then go outdoors and harass a couple of Sparrows (watch out for breezes.. these don't handle drafts let alone breezes overly well) True.. spare the flames on this :-) and you've pretty well covered the new owners' attention span with these.
I certainly did, consequently it rarely gets used anymore because it's erm... Borrrring.. And I have a new in the box 'other one' as yet unused .. sigh. Clearly it's now destined to become some young nephews B'day present :-)
Definitely Cute.. but still really borrring.
How many do you actually want ?
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Last edited by Bare; Jun 14, 2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:19 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,338 Posts
The DH9116 has lots of durability and reliability issues and is much tamer than the V911.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:46 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,515 Posts
Like the rest, I'd recommend the following:

1 x V911 RTF
1 x V911 BNF
some batteries

Some parts that I've damaged:

Lost flybar weights - just tape them before you fly!
Broken main rotor blades - using spare set that came with the RTF.
Broken skids - super glue for the win!
Dead tail motor - replaced with the tail motor of another dead helicopter.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:00 AM
Malaysia, Penang, Bayan Lepas
Joined Apr 2010
460 Posts
My suggestion: get the v911 RTF only.
These kinda heli is for fun (and a tiny wee bit of orientation training), and bashing around. Don't sink $200 in it...
thloh85 is offline Find More Posts by thloh85
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:25 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
My first two V911s had defective parts. If you get an RTF & BNF, it isn't likely that both will have defective parts.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:53 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,864 Posts
Really !!? 2..factory pre-broken ones.
What a resounding endorsement.
Seems odd that you are still 'behind' these then.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:21 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Really !!? 2..factory pre-broken ones.
What a resounding endorsement.
Seems odd that you are still 'behind' these then.
I'm flying the Genius CP now. I love it, but it's motor's life expectancy is disappointingly too short. My second Genius seems to have issues with its PCB 5% of the time.

The V911 is dirt cheap compared to the Genius. Sometimes it makes more sense to buy the BNF rather than buying parts.

My Solo Pro 270 breaks too easily, so I have to be careful not to crash it.

My Xieda 9958 had the toilet bowl effect. It became a parts donor very quickly.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Wow, thanks for the advise guys!

I'm going to listen, throttle back a bit, and just go with the x1 V911 RNF, x1 V911 BNF, and Batt's for now. I really appreciate you folks taking the time to respond. It sounds like I'll have plenty of time to figure-out which direction to go in the future. I think ya'll just saved me some cashola...

Does anybody want to touch the credit card/best way to pay Q?

The quote of the day goes to Bare..."unless there is some erm.. medical issue" That got me cracking-up...Thanks!

It's funny you mention the cat and sparrow pursuit; The whole reason for getting into RC Heli's is "cattle control". (They sometimes prefer my tasty green grass and shrubs over the dry dead stuff in the pasture) and I'm on cruches for the moment. You see, I just can't chase them right now... At least that's the Bald Faced Lie I tried on the little lady...LMAO, she didn't buy it for a second. Now that you've mentioned their instability in the breeze, I shall incorporate this into my next excuse...Errrr...reason/need for a larger more stable Heli down the road.

Pat
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Whoops, one more quick Q...

Of the 3 different colors available, does one stand-out more than the others making it easier to see/orient yourself as to which direction it's flying in?

Thanks,

Pat
Last edited by RCCrashTestDummy; Jun 15, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
204 Posts
If I had to do it all over again, I would buy 1 V911 BNF and 1 RTF with a few spare batteries, 2 spare tail booms, 1 spare tail motor, 1 spare main motor and 2 fly bars. The reason for the spare parts is because if you bust a tail boom, you can't rob it from another heli. If you are lucky, you will receive one with the updated tail boom that isn't glued in but I don't know that they are circulating yet. As for the color, I find it easier to see the white versions than the black/orange. I now fly a red/white one around and don't have the orientation issues that I did with the black/orange... could just be that I am more used to flying it too.

Also, Banggood has been delivering my orders in less than 2 weeks so the wait isn't bad if you break a part and need to order some spares to get it back in the air.
Killer Bee is offline Find More Posts by Killer Bee
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Thanks KB, going with the Red and White selection.

However, I was just thrown a curve ball by finding-out the Tx for the 9116 will bind and operate a V911 with a few minor adjustments via the menu. I'm now reconsidering a x1 9116 RTF and x2 V911 BNF's type order.

Lol, now I'll have to read another 100+ pages to see if the 9116 will be worth buying...Ahhh decisions, decisions...

Pat
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:14 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,338 Posts
The primary attraction of the DH9116 is it's cost, especially if you live in Australia. Other brands are quite expensive there. But, it has problems with motors, PCB and wiring. It has a design that makes it one of the most stabilized models made, with very limited movement authority. It's quite heavy and under powered. Many people like them because they are so easy to fly and are willing to forgive it's flaws. But, these people really struggle when they attempt to advance. Iwon't tell you a DH9116 is a terrible heli or that it's junk. It has some nice features and it's fun for beginners or those with no aspirations to advance. But, IMO it has sub-standard reliability and there are better choices for somebody looking for a trainer that will help them advance. Of course, if you live in Australia, your choices are much more limited.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up Balr14, good stuff to know. I'm about 10 pages deep into MJX F45 thread, and it sounds like it may be a bit of a better choice??? I'm not sure yet, still some more reading to do.

Would you mind sharing your thoughts on the 9116-vs-MJX F45?

Or, would anyone else like to chime-in on the 9116-vs-MJX F45? It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Pat