HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:33 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Mar 2008
1,328 Posts
Build Log
Peter Rake 1/6 scale Fokker DR.I build

Welcome to my build.
Some of you may have followed my previous build of the Arizona Model Aircrafters's 1/6 scale "museum quality" DR.I. Unfortunately, that project ended with a thud! An unsuccessful maiden left the airplane rebuildable, but no definitive answer as to what happened. I suspect a flaw in the models' design, but I may never know. Without knowing what caused the crash, rebuilding it without changes would only result in a repeat performance. Someday I may rebuild her as a static display, but for now I really want a flying DR.I in the fleet. To that end, I asked Peter Rake if he would draw one up for me, accommodating certain features I wanted. He wasn't excited about the idea of a DR.I at first, but he finally warmed up to it, and now I have a set of plans and Charlie (or Mrs. Charlie) at Manzano Laser will cut the parts.
This build is going to be a little different than my past ones. I have two primary goals. One will be to capture the character of the DR.I in appearance, and the other goal will be to have a friendly flying model, with scale like flight characteristics. To accomplish the second goal, I'm going to have to watch the weight like I never have before. Pete has designed a light structure and I need to follow that as closely as possible and pick the embellishments carefully. Being this is my second DR.I, and at the same scale, I think I know what details are necessary and which aren't to make it look like a DR.I. Knowing what scale details I can leave off, and seeing where the weight came from on the other build (and eliminating or minimizing it), should help with my first goal of weight control. I'm aiming for around 4 lbs AUW.
I'll be using the dummy motor, and some of the other scale components from the AZM DR.I. The airframe will be all new... all Pete. The design allows for a full cockpit and scale pull/pull on all controls. Some of the scale details I'll add, or modify, will incorporate easily into Pete's design. I'll get into the details of those as the build progresses.
It may seem redundant and a bit boring to go through another DR.I build, but I think the journey will be different enough to justify watching and the destination should be much more rewarding...and less painful to watch. Thud!
Here are the plans:

hammerd is offline Find More Posts by hammerd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:52 PM
Ballarat, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
347 Posts
Subscrub Will watch this one for sure. Better luck this time.
Pete
Glong-flyer is offline Find More Posts by Glong-flyer
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:04 PM
Lincoln, UK
Joined Jun 2005
602 Posts
Boring? I've never found any of your builds anything but fascinating and inspirational and I look forward to seeing this one come together too. I admire your perserverance in getting yourself a flying DR1, I'm not sure I'd have the patience to do the same after a knock back like your last!

Best of luck this time around.
Pete1978 is offline Find More Posts by Pete1978
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:17 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,602 Posts
Well, there you have it, the cat is well and truly out of the bag. I know a Dr1 has been suggested in the past, and I intimated that it wasn't a type that really did very much for me. However, when Darrin approached me with the idea, hinting at the sort of model he'd like, it sort of piqued my interest. The idea being to produce a design that we mere mortals could manage without too much trouble, but one that Darrin could make as scale looking as he wanted. That's the aspect of it that got me drawing. Now all I have to hope is that I haven't duplicated the problems encountered with the first model.

One thing that did show up early on is that the drawings the first model was based on show a sloping top longeron, the Datafile drawing shows it straight (as do photos of all the replicas and possibly an original). What this means is that the angle of the rear decking is increased quite a bit and, since the tailplane follows that line, it increases the amount of permanent down trim by a similar amount. Since it 'looked' too much to me, I went with the straight longeron.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:38 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
I know that I for one would prefer to trusts Pete's design, and feel for what will make a nice flying plane than a lot of the other designs out there! Good luck with it Hammerd, I am sure you will be on a winner with this one!

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:09 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,664 Posts
Darrin - I'm looking forward to seeing what you include and what to leave off. I've often wanted to build a second model from the same plan - my detailed Bristol F2b has a twin that will some day be completed as simple as possible....
Good luck with the 'new' DR1 - many eyes will be upon you

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:35 PM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,498 Posts
Subscribed.

What is the wingspan on this one?

Jim
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:57 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,357 Posts
I'm guessing 48" or so. Hear that Pat, 48"!!!!
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:03 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,664 Posts
OK BG - maybe a tad less than 48 even! But only because it was a tiny span anyway. It'll still be about 19" high - hardly little
Pat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:05 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
2,989 Posts
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:21 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,357 Posts
Oh it'll be big, but I had to get that little 48" jab in anyways! I know I'm going to have to go up to mostly 1/6 scale on my WW Once stuff, just because of the winds out here on the east coast, unless I want to really limit my flying times. Gotta finish the 1/6 Pup I started.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:16 PM
Ballarat, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
347 Posts
This could be more than you want but it is always handy to have

Pete
Glong-flyer is offline Find More Posts by Glong-flyer
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:55 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Mar 2008
1,328 Posts
Thanks Glong-flyer, I already have those drawings though. In fact those are the ones I sent to Pete that he started with. Turns out they show the sloping longeron he mentioned.
Wingspan is about 47" including the aileron horns. She does stand 19.5" though.
I parked the other one next to the DVa and it looks diminutive.
hammerd is offline Find More Posts by hammerd
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:41 AM
Homo Modelicus
Hungary
Joined Jan 2005
686 Posts
Subscribed. Great subject
BaZsiX is offline Find More Posts by BaZsiX
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:50 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,664 Posts
I am guessing that since the Dr1 was using the same construction as the DVII, the longerons etc would actually be a series of straight sections welded into a 'curve'. One of the Datafile pubs shows the framing - similar Glong Flyers posted drawing.

Pat

Thanks to Ian Stair and Datafile
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Jun 15, 2012 at 01:56 AM.