HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:43 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
Thanks Rafa, I've replaced every part other than the rx board... It might be because I fly outside almost daily and over almost nothing but concrete (hundreds of flights at least). I've found that the motors go at different rates, the new ones are better...the original ones wear out quite rapidly and get stuck during crashes quite easily.
That said, it is one of the best things I've flown in my 10 years of experience so far. So I wouldn't be surprised if the Space Walker is too! Good job on the review
The spacewalker is probably better for you, as it has 8 engines instead of 4 to carry more, like FLV stuff.
Wasp09 is online now Find More Posts by Wasp09
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:46 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Yep - that sounds about right. After all these are brushed motors and therefore easy to change their rotation direction by reversing the voltage applied.
The only question is FW...

If you can flash the QR FW in or switch it to 4 with the existing FW that would do it.

Oops, it is already done.
Last edited by Wasp09; Jun 15, 2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:47 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh View Post
m.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=NNpAEv4WdgQ

Just found this. Next question is will be able to update the "Ladybird" so we can buy new frame, extra motors and 4 long booms to turn the "ladybird" into a "space walker". Or extra motors and 3 short booms and motor mounts and turn it into a "Scorpion"? Here's to hoping!
There ain't enough sockets on the QR control board unless you solder some on your own.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:54 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Sure, I get this. But turning a skywalker into a ladybird isn't making it better. It's just making a skywakker, which costs more, into a ladybug, which costs less. I don't get it. Buy a ladybug for less money, instead and be done with it. No?

Chris
Suppose some of the booms/motors take a hit and go out of service. it would be nice to be able to fly it as hex or quad, before we can find the spares to fix it.

Consider a spacewalker as a QR with 4 spare booms. We may find it cheaper that way.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post
Suppose some of the booms/motors take a hit and go out of service. it would be nice to be able to fly it as hex or quad, before we can find the spares to fix it.

Consider a spacewalker as a QR with 4 spare booms. We may find it cheaper that way.
That's a practical POV. I'd rather buy a LB with spare parts for the same price, But that's just me.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:01 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
That's a practical POV. I'd rather buy a LB with spare parts for the same price, But that's just me.

Best,
Chris
Assuming the SW is really better than the LB, it would be a plus to buy 1 and be able to convert between 2 although it is not free.

You know mod'ing is the fun part for fellow members. LB is lacking behind in mod's as it is almost perfect without any. Now SW gives us a chance to mod it back and forth. Isn't it great?

BTW, what time is it in Taiwan. Isn't it too early or too late? Go to bed.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,128 Posts
I know what you're saying. Mocking around with this is just plain fun, indeed.

It's too bloody late, here. 4 am in the morning on Friday night. Next two days off work. Will be sleeping until noon tomorrow. Cell phone turned off. On that note, I have to hit the sack right about now.

Cheers, mate.

Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Jun 2012
13 Posts
I am super new and my Ladybird is somewhere over pacific right now. But after watching all the you tube vids reading all the forums I am surprised at the lack of mods so far with this little quad I'm hoping it's cause, why "F" with a good thing. But I am curious about how when people build there own quads from scratch there's always so much debate and " math" when it comes to the props. So I guess I was wondering what the thoughts were on different props ie: change blade pitch or 3 blades like the "Quadpod". I'm just staring conversation I guess ;0)
Ryanh is offline Find More Posts by Ryanh
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Jun 2012
13 Posts
What is this "pot setting" and what dose it typically do to the flight of the quad. ?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:25 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
What is this "pot setting" and what dose it typically do to the flight of the quad. ?
There is a potentiometer mounted to the rx board that controls gyro sensitivity. I'm not sure exactly what it does or how it works, but it changes the way the model flies. I think it's an FBL thing as much as it is a multi-rotor thing.

At one end of the adjustment, the model might feel 'mushy', and at the other end of adjustment, it might feel overly 'snappy'. These are very subjective things, unfortunately.

Maybe someone else can explain it better.

Rafa
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:50 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,540 Posts
Quote:
I am super new and my Ladybird is somewhere over pacific right now. But after watching all the you tube vids reading all the forums I am surprised at the lack of mods so far with this little quad I'm hoping it's cause, why "F" with a good thing. But I am curious about how when people build there own quads from scratch there's always so much debate and " math" when it comes to the props. So I guess I was wondering what the thoughts were on different props ie: change blade pitch or 3 blades like the "Quadpod". I'm just staring conversation I guess ;0)
The stock props are OK and the LB does not require more thrust. As I just said above, get the Space Walker for the cost of 4 extra arms. Then we have more to try out, like adding and subtracting arms, flashing the control back and forth..
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:18 AM
Joined Jun 2011
8,128 Posts
Quote:

The pot on the receiver is to adjust the gyro sensitivity. What it does is simple. Every time the quad is tilted, the gyro reads the angle of the quad and then communicates with the motors to speed them up or slow them down to bring the quad back to a level position.

With the pot set to high, the gyro is essentially more sensitive to the quad angle and it communicates with the motors with more efficiency. If it's set too high, then it begins to over compensate and it causes the quad to wiggle or oscillate as we call it. This is because the gyro is set to a sensitivity level that is counter productive to stable flight. It will automatically make corrections to the quad angle back and forth but too quickly.

If the gyro is set too low, then the quad will be more difficult to fly as the gyro will take its sweet time to make corrections which means that the corrections have to be made by the pilot using the transmitter's sticks. Hence why it's more difficult to fly. If the gyro pot is set to the minimum setting, it will be almost like flying without a gyro so the quad will be highly unstable and very difficult to hover.

This will be preset by the factory so that it will fly fine, but for both the ladybugs I have flown, the RX pot was set too high for flying in windy conditions. This means the quad flies fine indoor and in mild wind, but it oscillates(wiggles) in stronger wind. Essentially, when flying in the wind, the gyro has to work harder to keep the quad stable as it's working through wind which is constantly trying tilt the quad. I find the stock seting on the RX pot is a tad too high so it overcompensates in the wind and this results in mild oscillation.

The idea is to set this pot quite high until the quad begins to wiggle in hover. Then reduce it just a tad at the time and try hovering again. Keep reducing the gain until the quad flies smoothly. Then, you might find that this setting will cause oscillation when flying in the wind. Then just repeat the above process while test flying it in the wind. Reduce the gain until it handles wind without wiggling. By then, your gain should be set to fly both indoors and in windy condition quite well.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:55 AM
Joined Jun 2012
13 Posts
Bravo, Bobepine! Fantastic answer. I get it. Thanx.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:10 AM
Joined Jun 2011
8,128 Posts
You're welcome.

Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:48 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
Devo 7

Hi Rafa,

I just ordered a QR Spacewalker, will it bind with my Devo 7 straight out of the box or will I need to do something to get it to bind?

Regards

Loquacious
loquacious is offline Find More Posts by loquacious