Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:32 AM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsak View Post
Any idea when parts will be available?
Good question. I haven't heard yet, but seems like parts usually come 2-3 weeks after the model is released. If that trend follows, parts should be available soon.

Rafa
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:23 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,625 Posts
Nice through review, Rafa.

I wonder if the arms could all be cut the same length. I have a feeling it can be done and it would make for a sick acro sub micro craft. The long arms makes for slow flips. 8 arms all the same length would also look nicer, in my opinion.

Good work!
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:42 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,816 Posts
No point cutting up perfectly good arms. Just buy another set of LB arms instead.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
No point cutting up perfectly good arms. Just buy another set of LB arms instead.
I guess I expressed myself not so well. I have raw 1 meter lengths of this square CF tubing. I can cut arms to whatever length I need. And anyways, Ladybird's arms would be too short, in my opinion.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:20 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,816 Posts
In that case go for your life!!
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:29 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa's CB100 View Post
...The design concept of the Space Walker is interesting, as it incorporates long and short booms, where most multi-rotors I have seen have the various rotor axes be equidistant from the center of the model. When I showed the model to the guys at the flying field, it was theorized that the shorter booms could be used to provide the lift, while the longer booms provided extra leverage for stabilization...
With the bigger pictures, we can tell all the rotors on the short booms rotate in the same direction and so as the ones on the long booms. In order to balance out, the motors have to exert the same torque to the body and hence likely rotate at the same speed unless the rotors are not equal in pitch.

What I am trying to say is that all booms are likely equal in terms of providing lift at hovering.

Length of boom is like wheel base on a car. We have 2 wheel bases on this one. It would be more responsive in going at the direction of "+" than in the direction of "X" due to difference in boom length. Strange, unless the FW takes care of the difference, sounds complicated.

Anyway it won't fly with 4 short booms alone, as the rotation is wrong. It is like a car with 8 wheels and no spare tires. Somehow it can't go with 4, too bad.
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
Last edited by Wasp09; Jun 14, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:40 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,625 Posts
Quote:
In that case go for your life!!
Sorry, I do not understand this response. I bet the meaning of your post is about to bite me in the rear end (as in, it's probably obvious), but I can't figure it out???

Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,625 Posts
Quote:
What I am trying to say is that all booms are likely equal in terms of providing lift at hovering.
I am certain this is correct. Hence why I think having all equal size booms would certainly make this craft a quick acrobatic flyer.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:44 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Sorry, I do not understand this response. I bet the meaning of your post is about to bite me in the rear end (as in, it's probably obvious), but I can't figure it out???

Chris
Go ahead! Full speed! Without a care. All in. etc. etc.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:10 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Oct 2009
549 Posts
Could it carry the walkera camera? It weights ~7grams. I think better than the LB.
Ariete is offline Find More Posts by Ariete
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,625 Posts
Quote:
Go ahead! Full speed! Without a care. All in. etc. etc.
OK, got it. It's only about 2$ for a meter long of this CF square tubing, too.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:12 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
OK, got it. It's only about 2$ for a meter long of this CF square tubing, too.

Best,
Chris
How much would it cost to ship a meter to Ottawa?

BTW, has anybody reviewed the Y6?
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:22 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post
Anyway it won't fly with 4 short booms alone, as the rotation is wrong. It is like a car with 8 wheels and no spare tires. Somehow it can't go with 4, too bad.
Good eye!

Rafa
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post
How much would it cost to ship a meter to Ottawa?

BTW, has anybody reviewed the Y6?
You can buy it from these guys in the US. Shipping cost is cheap and they ship fast. Might be closer to 4$ for a meter of this stuff from them, but still darn cheap compared with buying quad arms from Walkera... I bought from them until I found a local supplier, here, in Taiwan.

http://www.rcfoam.com/index.php?cPat...280ea7653f4c7c

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:36 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
It would be interesting to figure out the boom length that will leave the rotors with a 1mm clearance to each other. Maybe that would get the weight down enough to be able to match the Ladybird's disc loading.

I wonder if Walkera decided to do it this way for cosmetic, or for functional reasons.

Rafa