HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by MAP123, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:07 AM
AMA 964040
USA, MA, Worcester
Joined Oct 2008
221 Posts
Yippee!
TopSky Super Mini back in the air!

I re-soldered the connection of the signal lead from my left flaperon servo to the plug harness. I don't know for sure that that was definitely the problem, but I haven't had any problems with it since. The servo started working again after I stripped the shrink tube and the CA off of that connection before I even picked up the soldering iron, but I think there was a cold solder joint there, so hopefully, that problem is solved. Edit: see above post.

The only other thing that will need attention are the wing bolt threads in the fuse. I think I might have to install T-nuts in the fuse. The CA soaked balsa block doesn't seem to be holding up well enough. Maybe I should have used plywood instead. I guess I know for next time.

I haven't had a whole lot of time the last couple of days since I'm babysitting my two-year-old niece, but I did manage to get that servo lead re-soldered and I got out to fly for about 45 minutes in the wind today. It was windier than the last few days, with an average of about 10 mph, gusting to maybe 15 or 20 mph at times, but I think the flying was actually much better. The air was much more unstable, and there was much more variance in the wind direction and strength, which made reading the air a little easier, I think. There was a lot of lift coming through, although it moved through much faster with the greater wind speeds. I had a few flights where I caught some definite lift. The best I have done before was to find some bouyant air, but I had one flight in particular today when I saw the plane climb a bit and managed to stretch that one out to three or four times my average flight time. That's still not saying much, though.

It has not been great, yet, but it is getting more encouraging. I think I am figuring out the thermal patterns where I am a little bit. I think the thermals tend to linger at the tree line when they pass through, and I'm sure some of the lift I got into by the tree line was just wave lift off the trees, but it's getting there. I am still hunting for that elusive boomer that will screw the plane right up into the sky. Haven't caught it yet, but I can see why people find this so addictive. Can't wait for tomorrow.
MAP123 is offline Find More Posts by MAP123
Last edited by MAP123; Jun 17, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts