HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2003, 01:59 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
Latina "Santa Maria"

I've always been intrigued by those old wooden sailing ships, but being more an R/C type then static display those type models didn't lend themselves well to running models. So, I came up with a way to have the best of both worlds, converting a sailing ship to powered running R/C.
The model used is the Artesania Latina "Santa Maria". A small drive motor was built into the keel, and a rudder servo added. The intent is to run the model under full sail in calm conditions.
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2003, 02:09 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
Latina "Santa Maria"

After all the equipment was installed and running properly, the hull was double planked per kit instructions. After the outer planking was completed, the hull was fiberglassed using 1 oz. cloth and West Systems epoxy resin. A total of 3 coats of resin were applied and sanded to fill the weave. Then, the outer details were added and 2 coats of Cabot satin Polyurethane varnish were brushed on.
The rudder linkage was hooked up and the prop installed. A large transparent plastic rudder extension will be used so the boat will handle well at very low speeds.
The next step will be adding the deck details and raising the masts.
I might mention too, that before the planking was closed up, 6 oz of lead ballast was added to the bottom of the hull. It's anybodies guess how much ballast will ultimately be required, but I figered 6 oz was a good start.
PAT
Old Nov 08, 2003, 02:20 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
Latina "Santa Maria"

The motor and ESC are actually built into the keel. It's important to make sure everything is working properly before the hull is closed up as access to the running gear is impossable on the completted model. I really don't like doing things that way, but with a boat of this nature, it's really the only choice.
PAT
Old Nov 08, 2003, 02:23 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
Latina "Santa Maria"

The rudder servo was mounted in the lower aft deck, and accessed through a hatch on the upper deck. It's a squeeze getting to it, but the linkage was added after the hull was completed and the rudder installed.
PAT
Old Nov 26, 2003, 05:06 AM
North of Vienna, Austria
Joined Dec 2002
76 Posts
Looks good.

Do you think the sails would keep it running without the motor?

Greetings, Thomas
LaCroix is offline Find More Posts by LaCroix
Old Nov 26, 2003, 10:20 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
Thomas, I thought about running the model on pure sail, but I'm thinking the boat might just wind up upside down if the breezes were to get a little gusty, so I opted for power on calm days. It will be fun to try it in light breezes to see if it would run on pure sail.
The project is progressing nicely, though slowly, I'll post more photos soon.
PAT
Old Nov 27, 2003, 08:47 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
Latina Santa Maria

Though moving slowly, the Santa Maria is coming together. The deck detail is as far as I plan to take it. Since this is a running model I opted to keep it fairly simple. I learned a long time ago that to much detail on a running model is more trouble then it's worth.
PAT
Old Nov 27, 2003, 08:56 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
Latina Santa Maria

Here's a photo of the rudder assembly and linkage. In the earlier photo you can see the rudder installation on the middle deck, this angle shows the pushrod arrangement to actuate the rudder. The original tiller arm was cut down and used as the control horn with a wire pushrod. My first attempt was to use the tiller arm and a ring in the servo arm so that the tiller arm remained scale, but I just couldn't get a dpendable motion from that set-up. Again, it goes back to practicality.
It's not in place yet, but a large clear plastic rudder extension will be added to the rudder to enhance the low speed manouvering.
Stay tuned, the mast will be going together next, photos are sure to follow.
PAT
Old Nov 27, 2003, 01:34 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,234 Posts
That's looking nice.
And "motor sailing" is always an option. The sails will provide some power, and the motor gives you steerage.

Even with your plans as is, you may want to consider deeping the keel by at least 150 percent. Any sail cloth above the ship will catch a breeze, and nature doesn't care what scale you are sailing. The wind will always be 1:1.
A 200 percent deeper keel, or dagger board will be sure to keep the boat upright in all conditions. That is the percentage that I added to the keel of a "Bluenose" schooner that I was building.

You might consult some of your sailing club members as to the finer points.
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; Nov 27, 2003 at 01:37 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2003, 08:26 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
Umi, I apreciate the input. I've been seriously considering a weighted keel to make sure 9 months of labor don't head for the bottom with the first breeze. A friend in our local club is running a schooner in full sail without a keel, but any breeze at all makes me nervouse just watching.
PAT
Old Dec 02, 2003, 11:56 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,234 Posts
Hi Pat,

In the magazine article that I worked from to build up my Blue Nose, the author over built by 150 percent on the keel depth, and after sailing his Blue Nose, and Carrie Phillips, he recommended more.
I was looking at your rudder again, and that is probably not going to work. You have only a "stick" behind your propeller, and the rest of the rudder is up behind the transom of the boat.
All the water will be "eddying" around up there as it comes around the hull. I would recommend building up the rudder a bit also. Plus 25 percent is what we use on our warships.
Old Dec 03, 2003, 10:09 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
Umi, I thought of the rudder problem early on, to keep it looking scale, the plan is to add a large clear plastic rudder extension to the scale rudder, I'm thinking at least 1" X 1 1/2" at the bottom.
PAT
Old Dec 03, 2003, 10:35 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,234 Posts
A clear rudder, that's a pretty good idea.

Somone posted the name of this company in another thread.
Did you happen to catch this?

Steel, Chapman & Hutchinson Ltd

http://www.modelsailingships.com/

Their ships are pretty big, but it mentions,
That the keel weight is removable and it has

Quote:
cast-in brass inserts for the stainless steel holding rods. The holding rods come through the keels, through watertight wells, and protrude through the deck where they are held captive. This allows the ballast keels to be dropped (whilst supported on the launching dolly) making removal from the water (less work)
These removable keel weights for their three ships are 22-31 pounds.
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; Dec 03, 2003 at 10:38 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2004, 01:04 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
Latina Santa Maria

After several weeks off the project I finally went back to work on the Santa Maria. Most of the standing rigging is now in place.
Old Jan 02, 2004, 01:08 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
Latina Santa Maria

Since the model is internded as a sport scale running model I didn't get too caried away with trying to make the rigging completely accurate. The other problem is that the rigging details on the plans are pretty sparce. I hope to get the sails on this week and get the running rigging roughed in. With a little luck, she should be in the water in a couple of weeks. What a great way to start a new year!
PAT