SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:14 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,072 Posts
haha yeah i had troubles with throttle at start too. the joystick is very natural tho.

using the sim seems the easiest to get used to it. HK sells sims sticks for <$5. they're illegal but - you can use the stick to plug the nunchuck in (it accepts PPM) and use a free and legal sim (or buy the sims, or even use the HK ones illegally if your ethics are okay with that)
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2012, 03:54 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,680 Posts
the SkyFun (post #60, last page) flew today for the 1st time, rates too high -have to move pushrods too inner holes of servo arms.

updated firmware controls RGB LED so pilot can set any color in flight, set constant or random strobe and police lights

http://youtu.be/lB_hUdwXuls .
fmkit is offline Find More Posts by fmkit
Old Jul 15, 2012, 04:59 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,072 Posts
i'm flying with inverted throttle and i find it a lot more natural (specially if fpv). that is, point down = full throttle, point up = idle.

makes a big difference for me. probably used to using throttle like that on the regular radio.

also, i'd suggest resetting the calibration of the nunchuck (6.3.1) to have perfect throttle control (=put idle or max throttle when your hand is in "regular" position aka not pointing up/down. else its quickly tiring =p). default is calibrated for fmkit's hand hehe. but i suppose everyone has a slightly different one.

note: i did that via ppm out and inversing the channel, i don't think you can do it natively
Last edited by CrashMeUp; Jul 15, 2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:53 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,072 Posts
Here's another suggestion but for the FW this time:
it'd be nice to have more than 2 rate presets. as you said you have to move the servo arms, and uhm, it's not always enough.

I'd put like 5 rate+expo presets (low to high) so it could fit most planes instead of 2 presets

finally, i noticed that on my firmware, when in PPM out on the nunchuck, i can actually store the throttle with 1Z. i think it's a nice feature, should work also with the RX if possible

flew with 25 knots today, the wing could barely go forward because the wind force on the prop was enough (even thus its a 3800kV) to slow it =P
could also film with one hand but, i'm still and not yet 100% used to the throttle so i preferred being safe =P
The wing's ~200gr so when there would be some gust the wind would actually throw it on the side (sometimes it would roll). That's how much wind. Only times I had "a little hard landings" were my fault.
Last edited by CrashMeUp; Jul 15, 2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:12 AM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMeUp View Post
i'm flying with inverted throttle and i find it a lot more natural (specially if fpv). that is, point down = full throttle, point up = idle.
This sounds like a good idea, I correct the throttle the wrong way when I panick

makes a big difference for me. probably used to using throttle like that on the regular radio.

also, i'd suggest resetting the calibration of the nunchuck (6.3.1) to have perfect throttle control (=put idle or max throttle when your hand is in "regular" position aka not pointing up/down. else its quickly tiring =p). default is calibrated for fmkit's hand hehe. but i suppose everyone has a slightly different one.
Awesome idea, Thanks for the suggestions.

note: i did that via ppm out and inversing the channel, i don't think you can do it natively
Thanks

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:08 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,680 Posts
HopeRF now offer 1W UHF modules, I ordered 10pc.to ttry, should receive by this weekend. It will take 20minutes to make repeater smaller than matchbox, that adopts output power from milliwatts to 1w per conditions, I use 50mW repeaters and they're very useful, w/ 1W simultaneously working 2-3 repeaters I expect more range than ever wanted

mean while playing with power RGB LED, using nunchuck I can set any color:
http://youtu.be/0dE8x4clJkw
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:34 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,072 Posts
1W is cool

your leds are crazy powerful lol. ps: think about throttle reverse, its one of the big points IMO. much easier for people to adapt when coming from regular remote controls
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:59 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,680 Posts
2 days ago we ground tested new 1w modules, road ended past 5km , 100% 2-way link
meanwhile I used beacon PCB for repeated and RX PCB wasn't routed to fit new 1w UHF module, within 2-3weeks I'll get new PCBs.
Telemetry now also sends MPU-6050 (6dof 3-axis gyro/3-axis accelerometers) data.

Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:20 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,680 Posts
Quote:
1W is cool

your leds are crazy powerful lol. ps: think about throttle reverse, its one of the big points IMO. much easier for people to adapt when coming from regular remote controls
I've changed nunchuck firmware a bit, now motor won't activate if Z button pushed by accident 2 or more times, switching from Z1 to other modes not possible unless elevator pulled up(atleast few %).
The RX can be set to reverse throttle (makes no sense to me) ,
using new MPU-6050 stabilization is much improved, now true heading hold is active while stick is centered. Accelerometer data available via telemtry, autolevel is not complete yet but used already- whenever level position detected gyros calibrated instantly and can hold heading without drift.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:34 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,072 Posts
woot that sounds good! i might send mine back to upgrade at some point if that's possible (not soon, in a couple of month, i use it right now!)

a buddy of mine bought a couple of old german radios at defcon, thought about ur stuff hehe.
they're analog/46mhz, nothing to tinker for rc with, but fun stuff nonetheless

(sem-52a http://www.operationeastwind.com/for...hp?topic=571.0)
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:10 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,072 Posts
i think i finally got the hang of it
the throttle doesnt surprise me anymore lol.

I gotta film it one of these days since i've one hand free when its not fpv... ;-)
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:56 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,680 Posts
Quote:
i think i finally got the hang of it
the throttle doesnt surprise me anymore lol.

I gotta film it one of these days since i've one hand free when its not fpv... ;-)
I normally use throttle no less than AIL, you can hear constantly chanching RPM in all my videos, tilting the nunchuck few degrees up and down to keep speed near stall while flying at beach.

I received DHL tracking number yesterday,
V.5 1Watt boards should be delivered in couple days

while V.5 is still in transit I've already prepped V.6 PCB layout specific for Skyfun (or similar size) wings built with gap in midsection.
New receivers include motor mount (!!! ?? , advanced LED lighting (10w RGB + 0.5w navigation), built-in back-up Li-Po for RF beacon w/charger and telemetry monitoring of backup cell voltage,

here are pictures of current wing w/RGB LED
Future wing will be more functional and very neat because single block will have all the electronics, use few silicone rubber bands to mount motor/electronics on new wing, new airframe should be lighter too, probably under 300g
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:32 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2009
488 Posts
FMKIT !
well, I'm getting more and more interested in your hardware (and software!). It's on my potential shopping list now. Looking forward to your new product coming out. :-) I'll be watching with interest...
Cheers,
Matt
pheonix3 is online now Find More Posts by pheonix3
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:01 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,680 Posts
today got working 1st of 1watt telemetry receivers, 5km ground tested !
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:52 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,680 Posts
flying is easy with gyros, today:

skyfun wing launch (3 min 3 sec)
Last edited by fmkit; Aug 10, 2012 at 07:00 PM.