SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:04 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,070 Posts
had a few more flights, still works fine, although, i'm not as confident as with my regular radios, but for casual flying its perfect. not having a bulky radio to carry around is a huge bonus.
I think most of what makes it useable is the gyro auto-gain control which works really well
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Last edited by CrashMeUp; Jun 18, 2012 at 03:22 AM. Reason: spelling :p
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:08 AM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMeUp View Post
had a few more flights, still works fine, although, i'm not as confident as with my regular radios, but for casual flying its perfect. nothing having a bulky radio to carry around is a huge bonus.
I think most of what makes it useable is the gyro auto-gain control which works really well
Is it because of the range limitation or the unusual type of control that makes you not as confident?

Mark
mark hitchman is online now Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:16 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,070 Posts
unusual type of control. I didn't fly very long range but for los flying i'm not really concerned range-wise.
you can be precise and slow and all with the nunchuck and its really quite easy to fly. but if you're going hardcore 3D (minus yaw) its where it's not as comfortable, obviously throttle management is slightly slower and the sticks aren't as precise and you can't retrim, etc. But that's really a corner case for most I think.

Also, due to the weight/size I might just do less hardcore 3D I mean, it's so much easier to put the nunchuck in the pocket, wind in the hand, throw it and fly, than a big radio that you need to carry in a bag.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:33 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,665 Posts
this morning added couple new things to RX FW;

9.1 and 9.2 sets servo digital/analog mode as usual
9.3 sets normal elevator
9.4 normal elevator for all modes except Z3, this way one can fly inverted as normal - for me it's useful to take off and land inverted while camera P/T and DVR belly mounted

2nd addition not related to flying but adds a bit of safety:
I have to ride bicycle to fly at local beach pretty often, yesterday rode 30km with SkyFun on my back .There are some dark roads where car drivers can't see me... until now! Once powered the RX waits for nunchuck or button input, if none for 20s then PWM removed from all pins, RX stops to send telemetry and goes into power save mode, CPU starts low power mode , all lights and strobes become active, my current wing is so bright I guess I won't need even headlights on my bike
fmkit is online now Find More Posts by fmkit
Last edited by fmkit; Jun 18, 2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:33 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,070 Posts
Hehe I also bicycle with the wing on the back. Main reason for my interest in the nunchuck

One feature that would be neat in the future, but, I think i've already said that, is some port for FW upgrades. RS232 or anything else. That being said I think i had read up it was complex to upgrade the cypress chip because you had to implement your own safe-loading (ie: get fw from serial, save somewhere, check it, then flash, or smthlike that)
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:50 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,665 Posts
I've never tried using bootloaders and know nothing about PC programming.
Even so PSOC chips somewhat slow (only 4mips) the FW is very stable because half of program written using ASM , I'd say FW never crash and packets exchange is fastest of all RC links I heard of. I often fly with partner, often he's controlling P/T with his nunchuck while I fly, the receiver tracks my nunchuck and repeater plus his nunchuck and his repeater, sends telemetry and analog alarms to 2-way radio while receiving packets, processing gyros and V/A for telemetry, decoding /mixing incomming PPM, outputs PPM etc.. 1/3 of ROM is still unused When it gets full I'll think of new platform with more resources and built-in bootloader.
You can ship your receiver to re-flash anytime, round shipping is less than $10, small packages I send to USA delivered in about 2-3 weeks
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:30 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,070 Posts
Even if its $10, it still takes 4-6weeks round-trip

The firmware, at least on my model seems perfectly stable. It's more about getting the extra features hehe. Won't send it back unless there a specific feature I'd need tho.

Does the gyro control pitch aka vertical stabilizer (or can it be used for it?). I might also just try shaking the wing to check when I get back home
But when I flew it yesterday sometimes if the wind would push frontwards i don't think it corrected that, or maybe it was just too violent for the size of my wing (if ive low speed + full elevator it prolly does nothing, which happens during tight turn + lot of wind)
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:26 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,665 Posts
Remember there is no gyro effect while stick is in extreme position, you're on your own then !

just took a pic of receiver:
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:32 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,665 Posts
today flew as usual UHF RX right next noisy F900LHD car dvr+ 2.4ghz 0.5w video TX, nunchucks transmitting low power but with 2 repeaters(same low power as nunchucks) - the wing didn't fall into sea
Rosh Hanikra aerial view facing grotos (2 min 30 sec)
Old Jun 24, 2012, 04:47 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,665 Posts
the RX can drive/stretch normal servos (pan/tilt) as well continues rotation servo by pilot's nunchuck, 2nd nunchuck or simutaneously.
yesterday tried 360degree pan for the 1st time, camera has turns 5 times each direction

#18 keycam 360 pan tilt onboard small flying wing (2 min 36 sec)
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:51 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,062 Posts
This looks like an awesome product! I wonder if the level of DIY is scaring people off? I wouldn't think so, as most people here seem quite capable...I know I'm thinking of getting one!
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:04 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,070 Posts
It's really quite simple once you got the manual for the settings/what pin is what. It's ready to go.

I just had to plug the servos, power, setup a couple of things (like reverse channels, choose frequency) and that's it!

The only thing that can be "scary" is that it's not a "in a nice box" etc, it's all hand-made. Works just as well tho.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:05 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,062 Posts
I understand and can appreciate hand-made things. And, to make things more durable and cleaner, I've mounted such things into a nice box before. Its not too hard. I'm just waiting on some cash and I plan on ordering this system. I already have his UHF beacon. Sweet kit!
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:41 PM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,931 Posts
Hey Fmkit, I received the goods this morning, thanks
Not quite sure where the servos plug in, I have the elevons working, just not sure where the signal to the ESC plugs in and I presume I need to disconnect the red wire (5v) from the ESC?

Thanks

Mark
mark hitchman is online now Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:02 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hitchman View Post
Hey Fmkit, I received the goods this morning, thanks
Not quite sure where the servos plug in, I have the elevons working, just not sure where the signal to the ESC plugs in and I presume I need to disconnect the red wire (5v) from the ESC?

Thanks

Mark
Keep the red wire (ESC) ! RX gets power two-ways; UBEC and ESC each via diode, when using digital servos, nichrome wire igniters and power LEDs UBEC may sometimes drop voltage but RX won't reset while powered by ESC.

Connect ESC to 4pin connector (next to all black wires), inner-most pin unused and bent (used for programming), all outer pins == ground