HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:56 PM
That's so classic you.
United States, NC, Stokesdale
Joined Jul 2006
347 Posts
Finalizing the fuselage. I recieved my deck back from Don along with a very very nice replica. I ran into a small snag in the plans when it comes to fitting the deck. I can't read Japanese so I'm relying on the pictures and common sense.

The deck has 3mm balsa attached to the inside lip of the deck (F23). The deck is located to the fuse by some 3x5mm stock. I glued the 3x5mm stock in place as shown on the plans and illustrations. The deck was being spread out due to the angle of the balsa stock on the inside lip of the deck mating up to the 90 deg 3x5mm stock on the fuse. The pictures tell a better story.

I removed the 3x5 stock and traced the outline of the deck on the fuse. Then I made another line 4mm inside the traced line to indicate where the 3x5 stock should go. Towards the rear, this line ended up being at the edge of F20 so I added some material for the 3x5 stock to mount to. (again the pictures tell the story).

To solve the problem of a angular deck edge mating up to a rectangular stock, I pinned the 3x5mm stock to the inside of the deck and sanded the bottom flush. Now the deck support stock and the 3x5 stock are at the same angle.

Now it's a perfect fit.

I've been sanding on the fuse getting everything all nicely rounded and smooth. I'm just about ready for glassing.
Generic Member is offline Find More Posts by Generic Member
Last edited by Generic Member; Aug 01, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:31 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,844 Posts
Jeff,

nice way to solve that problem. I'll keep it in mind for the day I get to put one together. The fuse must be looking pretty cool right now...

Mock up pictures prior to glassing?

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:48 AM
That's so classic you.
Joined Jul 2006
347 Posts
Fuselage is finally sanded. I think it's looking pretty good. I still need to fix the pushrod openings at the rear of the fuse where I cut out too much material.

I recieved my Monokote matching KlassKote epoxy paint. (Jet White, Sapphire Blue and True Red). The True Red wasn't a good match so gave KlassKote a call and they agreed to make a new batch using my Monokote sample. These guys are great. Excellent customer service!!

I'll take some mock up photos before I break it down for glassing and paint.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:31 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2001
153 Posts
It looks fantastic Jeff! I've always thought the MK Skymaster 20 was one of the coolest planes. And extremely rare since the OS .25VF is the only engine that could be used.

This has to be one of the fastest builds too, awesome to see it come together!
Huang is offline Find More Posts by Huang
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:43 AM
That's so classic you.
Joined Jul 2006
347 Posts
Thanks Matt!

I've run into another snag and need some ideas.

I was attempting to mount the pipe last night and ran into a problem. The plans show a Hatori pipe that is smaller in diameter and shorter in length compared to the Macs muffled tuned pipe I have. (#1210) The plans show a hardwood block off to one side of the pipe to which a clamp is fixed to hold the pipe. I don't have that type of clamp and if I did, there is no room for the hardwood mount for the clamp. I don't have much room on either side of the pipe and very little room top or bottom. It looks like I can clamp/support the pipe by the stinger. I'm a bit wary of that idea and need some advice or opinions.

The second snag I've run into is how to route the exhaust. The plans show a 45deg pipe running from the end of the tuned pipe stinger out the bottom of the fuse. I would really like to run my exhaust that way, but the exhaust pipe running down through the center of the fuse will interfere with my rudder/elevator push rods. I could cut out my servo tray and mount the rudder/elevator servos/pushrods aft of the exhaust and make and access panel behind the wing or route the exhaust up through the deck or.... <sigh>....
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:25 AM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Joined May 2006
1,299 Posts
Jeff,

First, great build, thanks for sharing!

I have attached a picture of the tuned pipe mount that I created for my Atlanta 24 years ago. Simple brass angle with a grommet from Lowes.

I think this would help you and it has worked flawlessly for me.

Good Luck,

Doug
Fatherof4 is offline Find More Posts by Fatherof4
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:57 PM
That's so classic you.
Joined Jul 2006
347 Posts
Solution

Thanks Doug. It looks like I'll be fine supporting the pipe by the stinger. I'm thinking I may have solved my exhaust routing problem.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:03 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
478 Posts
I think exiting out of the top is simpler and cleaner and it keeps the innards separated from the pipe bay. You can bling-it-up a little so it’s not just a hole with a pipe sticking out. It just comes down to aesthetics vs. ease of installation. Either way it’s going to fog the entire tail group with goo, unless you make some ridiculously long extension. I wipe as much oil off the bottom of the stabs as the top with my top exhaust.
Eric

P.S. This thing is pretty cool! Nitro, pipe, retracts as it should be. I probably would have succumbed to my own laziness and made it a plastic covered electric hand-tossed…
edh13 is offline Find More Posts by edh13
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:18 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
478 Posts
I can’t tell by the pics. Is the pipe totally sealed off from the fues innards? The reason I ask, I would have lost my Mystery ship on the last flight if the pipe bay wasn’t completely sealed from the radio gear. It blew a (high end) silicone coupler in flight and it got hot enough in the bay to melt nylon tie straps and then everything came apart in there. If the hot gases would have gotten to the radio gear / battery it would have been done-for. If I didn’t have the upper bay lined with heat blanket the fues would have burned. Big mess.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:30 PM
That's so classic you.
Joined Jul 2006
347 Posts
Hi Eric. Yes it is. In the photos there is an open area above the fuel tank that is supposed to be sealed off with a piece of balsa. I plan on making a hatch instead so I can get to/see the tank stopper without pulling the tank.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:42 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
478 Posts
Orrrr….. NASCAR style, out the side.

Okay. I'll shut up.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:44 PM
That's so classic you.
Joined Jul 2006
347 Posts
Just need a "Y" exhaust....
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:49 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
478 Posts
BaHaHAa! Being from North Carolina I knew you could appreciate that…
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:53 PM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Joined May 2006
1,299 Posts
Hmm.....Got me to thinking that this would be a good paint scheme for you too!!!

Fatherof4 is offline Find More Posts by Fatherof4
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:03 PM
That's so classic you.
Joined Jul 2006
347 Posts
I do live down the street from Kevin Harvick!....kinda...