HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:13 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic Member View Post
David,
I'm going to cover the wing and stab with Monokote (White, True Red and Sapphire Blue). I will fiberglass the fuse and fin with .5oz glass cloth and Z-poxy finishing resin.
I just ordered matching paint from KlassKote. The color will be brushed on - a first for me since I'm no longer equipped to spray paint.

Paint scheme will be very similar to the box art except for the checkers on the wing. - Not a big fan of checkers.
Excellent! I've always liked MK saphire blue even though I've never used it. Good call to go ahead and paint the fuse/fin. I'm eager to see how the KK and MK mix turns out; especially brushed on. I assume KK has some fancy reducer to be used when applying paint with a brush.

What color do you plan to paint the canopy area? Saphire blue or metallic gray might work nicely. But I'm kind of biased as I like how the mix of metallic blue and metallic gray turned out on the Tipo I did last fall. Those colours are DupliColor lacquer. They went on very quickly with all 4 light mist coats shot within the hour (each). They also sanded quite easily afterward but unfortunately they have little to do with available MK colors.

Man, I wish I had a bucket of MK rolls like yours...

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:29 PM
That's so classic you.
United States, NC, Stokesdale
Joined Jul 2006
355 Posts
I take it back, I have brushed KK once before on a set of wheel pants.

My buddy Chris needed to fuel proof a weight box for the TF Corsair ARF. We mixed up some Royal Blue and painted the plywood box to fuel proof it. Well, I had mixed up too much paint so I was looking around my shop for things that needed to be painted. I had a set of wheel pants laying around and before I knew it we were painting them with acid brushes. Since we were more or less just messing around with the paint, I wasn't interested in creating a nice finish. I was shocked when I looked at them the next day. Other than a couple runs, the finish was outstanding!
KlassKote doesn't recommend reducing when brushing. Obviously I will use a nice brush when painting the SM, but I have high hopes for a respectable finish.

*After I wrote that statement about no reducer when brushing, I called KK to ask their advice. They do recommend a small amount of reducer to help level brush strokes. Since I'm sure it will be rather warm when I'm ready to paint, I'll be adding some reducer.
Generic Member is offline Find More Posts by Generic Member
Last edited by Generic Member; Jun 28, 2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:36 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
I take it back, I have brushed KK once before on a set of wheel pants.

My buddy Chris needed to fuel proof a weight box for the TF Corsair ARF. We mixed up some Royal Blue and painted the plywood box to fuel proof it. Well, I had mixed up too much paint so I was looking around my shop for things that needed to be painted. I had a set of wheel pants laying around and before I knew it we were painting them with acid brushes. Since we were more or less just messing around with the paint, I wasn't interested in creating a nice finish. I was shocked when I looked at them the next day. Other than a couple runs, the finish was outstanding!
KlassKote doesn't recommend reducing when brushing. Obviously I will use a nice brush when painting the SM, but I have high hopes for a respectable finish.

*After I wrote that statement about no reducer when brushing, I called KK to ask their advice. They do recommend a small amount of reducer to help level brush strokes. Since I'm sure it will be rather warm when I'm ready to paint, I'll be adding some reducer.
I was surprised too, considering we were literally slapping the paint on with the worst brushes possible, they ended up looking pretty good!
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:54 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,321 Posts
My Dad uses KK brushed on as a rule. He is a dope and silk guy from way back so the spray idea just isn't too interesting to him. He and his buddy lay on some nice finishes with a brush.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:07 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,852 Posts
Jeff,

looks like Don got out the first SM20 deck pull from the mold. I suggested he send it to you asap so you can complete the build.

Interesting that the original appears to be made out of polyester resin. Or rather, curious that my original Arrow 40 deck is made with epoxy. I have an Aurora 45 that has its pan made with epoxy and a Wild 7 with a polyester chin so they must have gone back and forth with suppliers or perhaps it depended on the vintage/age of the kit.

Looking forward to seeing a finished wing!

David
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:36 AM
That's so classic you.
Joined Jul 2006
355 Posts
Almost finished.

Made a lot of progress over the weekend. Temperatures were up over 100 so not a lot to do outside. The portable AC unit I bought was blowing just enough cool air at me to make it tolerable in my un-insulated garage.

The fuselage is 98% completed. I just need my canopy/deck/pipe cover so I can finish sanding the fuse and button up the mounting details.
The rear fuse filler blocks were sanded to shape without the fin and stab in the way. I will glue the fin in place before I glass the fuse.

The wing is completed. Nothing out of the ordinary construction wise. I added individual aileron servos mounted to a ply plate.
Wheel wells were made and mounted prior to adding the wing skin. The wing is 98% sanded and ready for covering.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:36 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Looks great Jeff! Yet another perfect little County Line flyer!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:52 PM
That's so classic you.
Joined Jul 2006
355 Posts
Thoughts on glassing the center section?
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:44 PM
CPA# 39
United States, MN, Brooklyn Center
Joined May 2009
739 Posts
Jeff,

Where does one find the sweet rims and tread????

Brian
EscapeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by EscapeFlyer
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:50 PM
That's so classic you.
Joined Jul 2006
355 Posts
Singapore Hobbies. They only come in Red. I think they have 45,50,55and 60mm. They're VERY high quality wheels. They have foam tread with a thin rubber strip in the center to keep them from flat spotting. Kind of expensive though. Central Hobbies has the MK aluminum wheels. Big $$$
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:22 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Thoughts on glassing the center section?
Nah, cover it and keep it light.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:32 AM
Seoul, Korea
Joined Mar 2001
104 Posts
MK Skymaster 20: Electric Conversion

Hi, I was also making an electric version of SM20, and had a maiden flight today! It flies as good as the gas powered model. Specs are: Hyperion 3020-922Kv (or Scorpion 3020-890Kv), Castle 50A ice lite ESC, 10 x 7E, Hitec 65hb servos, 2200mAh x 4s. 40A, 580W max, E-flite 10-15 electric retracts, 1430g (3.1lb) ready to flight weight. Hope that the pictures can tell the story. Canopy area is yet to be painted. The last picture is my collection of MK kits :-)

Cheers, Vincent
Vincent Lee is offline Find More Posts by Vincent Lee
Last edited by Vincent Lee; Jul 08, 2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:15 AM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Dec 2007
565 Posts
Nice collection.

David
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:29 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,852 Posts
Vincent,

Very nice series of MK 20 birds you're building! Please do post more pictures and news on your Skymaster...!

Jeff,

Did you get your decks back? Looks like Vincent's is made of epoxy rather than polyester like yours.

David
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:58 PM
That's so classic you.
Joined Jul 2006
355 Posts
Yes David, the decks came back from Don. They look perfect. I also received my paint from KlassKote and I have picked up some .5oz glass cloth. Now I just need to clear off some projects that have cluttered my bench while I was waiting parts.