HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:06 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,852 Posts
Mmm...

The colour match dilemma crops up again.

Three ideas:

1) cover wing and stab in white UC or MK. Source some matching white from Radio South and shoot fuse, deck and vertical. Paint any further trim colors on fuse and flying surfaces with quick drying lacquer.

2) Cover wing and stab in transparent film and shoot plane with white of choice as well as trim colors.

3) I guess cover entire plane in MK and just paint the deck in Radio South (or Klass Kote?). Either of these should result in a decent color match. Matching white paint to MK white has always been tricky. Dave Guerin seems to have gotten this sorted out with PPG paints.

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:12 PM
That's so classic you.
United States, NC, Stokesdale
Joined Jul 2006
357 Posts
The longer servo leads for the main gear laid on the plans.

Also made a servo tray. Need to make pushrods then Ill set the fuse aside and start on the wing.
Generic Member is online now Find More Posts by Generic Member
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:56 AM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,083 Posts
very nice. Always been a fan of the magic. Sent you a pm. Phil
mrshea is offline Find More Posts by mrshea
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:13 AM
That's so classic you.
Joined Jul 2006
357 Posts
Skymaster

Hi Phil.
The plane I'm building is the "Skymaster". Different animal than the "Magic".
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:01 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Nice job as always Jeff, have you decided on a covering scheme yet?
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:41 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,174 Posts
MK Skymaster 60 has a nice scheme also, it is almost like MK Blue Angel scheme. Might be nice on the smaller Skymaster 20 also. I remember I saw an MK Skymaster 60 at one competition in 1970th and I still remember that I thought it was very fast.
I always liked the Skymaster, really a timeless classic look.

/Bo
bossee is online now Find More Posts by bossee
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:08 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,852 Posts
Any updates Jeff?

David
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:25 AM
That's so classic you.
Joined Jul 2006
357 Posts
It's getting very uncomfortable to work in my garage with the heat and humidity. I have ordered a portable AC unit which should be here sometime this week. Hopefully that will make things more tolerable.

I have managed to do some work on the SM20. At this point I'm trying to finish the fuse including all engine, fuel system, and radio installation.
I made pushrods for the throttle and nose gear steering out of standard wire rod. I made soft balsa supports to support the throttle and steering pushrod guides and glued them to the side of the fuse.
The rudder and elevator pushrods are carbon fiber with 2-56 ends. The "Y" section of the elevator pushrod is wrapped with copper wire and silver soldered.
I made the cut-out in the side of the fuse a bit longer than nessasary for the elevators since I used the plans as a guide, but in reality the slots needed to be farther back. I'll fill the excess with balsa. The tail section was pinned in place to check throws.
The rudder and elevators were drilled and the holes hardened for the control horns.

I mocked up two 45deg fuel nipples to see how close they needed to be before I drilled holes in the side of the fuse. These two ports will connect the "fill/drain" line to the pipe pressure line. (see attached drawing)

I did start some wing construction by laminating the spar doublers. 2 of the 5mm balsa spars were perfectly straight and two had a nice bow to them. you can see from the photo that the bow will cancel each other out.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:48 AM
That's so classic you.
Joined Jul 2006
357 Posts
Wing assembly.

Made some progress on the wing panels. My sequence for assembling the wing panel might seem odd compared to pinning the spar in place then gluing the ribs then adding the LE and TE stock. I like my method and it produced a night straight and warp free wing.
I have the LE sheeting made, trued and beveled. I will glue those in place this evening and hopefully get the majority of the wing panel assembled.
I still need to come up with a method for mounting the aileron servos in the wing panel.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:08 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Looking good Jeff, those retracts are going to be great! Looks like quite the wheel you have there!
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:15 AM
That's so classic you.
Joined Jul 2006
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
Looking good Jeff, those retracts are going to be great! Looks like quite the wheel you have there!
Thanks Chris! Wheels? What wheels?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:59 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2009
346 Posts
Great looking build, I am anxious to see it complete. Wheels.....I hope you have enough runway to get that up to 88 mph especially since I dont see a flux capacitor in there anywhere. (my back to the future reference for the day)
bpink43 is online now Find More Posts by bpink43
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:12 AM
That's so classic you.
Joined Jul 2006
357 Posts
My portable AC unit arrived! Just in time for a 100+ deg weekend.

I hear my canopy/deck will be returned to me shortly so I'm working on finishing up the fuse by adding the top rear filler blocks to the turtle deck. I tacked some balsa filler in place where the fin and stab will go. It will be much easier to shape and sand those blocks without the fin and stab getting in the way.

I joined the wing panels. Not much to comment about that. Pretty straight forward.

At this point I'm debating on adding shear webs. The spars are 5mm balsa with doublers out to the retracts. Shear webs couldn't hurt and would add minimal weight. Thoughts?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:02 AM
That's so classic you.
Joined Jul 2006
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia View Post
Mmm...

The colour match dilemma crops up again.

Three ideas:

1) cover wing and stab in white UC or MK. Source some matching white from Radio South and shoot fuse, deck and vertical. Paint any further trim colors on fuse and flying surfaces with quick drying lacquer.

2) Cover wing and stab in transparent film and shoot plane with white of choice as well as trim colors.

3) I guess cover entire plane in MK and just paint the deck in Radio South (or Klass Kote?). Either of these should result in a decent color match. Matching white paint to MK white has always been tricky. Dave Guerin seems to have gotten this sorted out with PPG paints.

David
David,
I'm going to cover the wing and stab with Monokote (White, True Red and Sapphire Blue). I will fiberglass the fuse and fin with .5oz glass cloth and Z-poxy finishing resin.
I just ordered matching paint from KlassKote. The color will be brushed on - a first for me since I'm no longer equipped to spray paint.

Paint scheme will be very similar to the box art except for the checkers on the wing. - Not a big fan of checkers.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:00 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic Member View Post
My portable AC unit arrived! Just in time for a 100+ deg weekend.
Yea man! Now you're really building a cool plane...

Quote:
At this point I'm debating on adding shear webs. The spars are 5mm balsa with doublers out to the retracts. Shear webs couldn't hurt and would add minimal weight. Thoughts?
Do it. Using 1/16" sheet out to the second or third bay from the end will make the wing considerably stronger at minimal weight gain. In fact, I'm surprised that the kit wing design doesn't at least include a few bays of shear webs. Most other MK wings have them.

I kindly had Mark (expert CL builder and painter and also a most excellent CAD dude) help me with some of the SM CAD wing design. Being a control line guy and used to building rather intricate wing designs, he designed an interlocking rib, shear web, spar arrangement. Basically the shear webs lock into the ribs with alternating tabs in a 1-2 configuration. With this approach, very thin spars can be used (say 1/8") as they cap the shear webs above and below. The wing structure is essentially a single rigid grid consisting of ribs chord wise and shear webs span wise. The spars tie it all together nicely.

David