HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:56 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Discussion
Has this happened to anyone here?

This was driving me crazy for the last 3 days.
I was getting some footage from around town and flying over the water. I was getting what I had hope would be a great shot of the Port Jefferson Ferry. When all of a sudden I lost all video feed, dead static. No big deal I thought, I flipped the WKM RTH popped my goggles and started to look for my quad over the water. To my surprise I could not find her anywhere. A guy came on shore in a canoe and I asked him if he saw a flying thing around and he said no. I went back to my car and replaced my skew planar with a 3 turn Helical antenna and continued my search and found no signal. I was bummed and I walked back to my car only to find the quad upside down with the battery puffed and the lights flashing. I had walked away from where I had taken the quad off and I guess I did not hear it return because of the waves at the beach. So the props are broken because it had flipped over I guess as I was throwing switches and moving the stick around when I thought she was lost.
Ok here is the messed up part, the vtx antenna was completely gone. I have been racking my brains all week trying to figure out how it could have completely unscrewed itself. Then I realised it had a 90 degree connector on it. I think what happened is the connector broke and the piece that screws on to hold it simple unscrewed and fill off as well.
Has this happened to anyone else?
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:48 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,066 Posts
Yes, I've had a 90 degree SMA connector break on my DPCAV inverted V antenna before. This was on a Stryker that had been through a pretty horrific crash. The crack was nearly invisible, but the connector didn't stay on anymore. It was definitely loose enough to wiggle itself loose if it was subjected to high frequency vibration (like that found on a quad...).
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy