SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Dec 2010
114 Posts
Discussion
Trim button stuck on DX6i

The "down" elevator trim button on my DX6i is either stuck or doesn't work any more. I can apply up elevator trim (and can hear the beep and see the indicator move), but when I press the down trim button, nothing happens. I haven't had the chance to crack the case open yet, but figured I'd check here first to see if there is any advice. Can you buy a replacement button/switch if it's defective? is it easy to swap out?
marklind is offline Find More Posts by marklind
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,505 Posts
Most likely a broken trim lever, a fairly common issue on a DX6i. The switches themselves are probably ok. It will be obvious when you open it up and see it yourself. Last time I checked, Horizon refuses to sell the parts, but you can easily make a replacement from thin plywood or a piece of pcb board. IIRC there are also aluminium aftermarket parts available, but I don't have links to suppliers right now.
jkettu is offline Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:39 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
Call hh, they will most likely send you a new black plastic trim tab, they did for me, I broke it twice. Also broke the throttle stick, broke the aileron and elevator gimbal and the flap switch, don't drop the dx6i, especially face first!
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:40 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,303 Posts
Spektrum DX6i Trim Switch Failed and my FIX. (6 min 29 sec)
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Dec 2010
114 Posts
Great info guys, thanks! I'll try to crack it open tonight and see what the root cause is. Your comments will give me a headstart on troubleshooting (and hopefully repairing) the culprit part.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:12 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
883 Posts
Radical rc has the machined aluminium trim switches. They are very nice but not cheap. If you can't repair yours, you can move the throttle trim switch over until you get a replacement. It doesn't get used much.
asosestrom is offline Find More Posts by asosestrom
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:44 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asosestrom View Post
Radical rc has the machined aluminium trim switches. They are very nice but not cheap. If you can't repair yours, you can move the throttle trim switch over until you get a replacement. It doesn't get used much.
Sorry, my bad, it's eastrc.org that has the aluminum switches.
asosestrom is offline Find More Posts by asosestrom
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:16 AM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,265 Posts
Horizon will send the replacement tabs free of charge. I've replaced all 4 of mine in the past 4 months. The first time I called they only sent 1 but when I called back a month later because another one had broke they sent 3 and I've needed all of them. I think it's good for another year now.

Oh yeah, mine has been dropped face down and upside down several times. I get replacement toggles at Radio Shack since Horizon will not send those out.
GooberSB is online now Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:22 AM
Joined Dec 2010
114 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Upon inspection, one of the arms on the rocker was broken, so it would not push against the switch. I used asosestrom's suggestion, and moved the throttle trim over until I can get a replacement. I emailed Horizon last night, so hopefully I can get a new piece. Works great for now!
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:10 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,347 Posts
You can also glue a small triangle piece in the corner to reinforce it.

Some have even done this to none broken pieces as preventative measure.

Reinforcement piece in RED added to your pic..
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:33 PM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
825 Posts
+1 to the east RC custom tabs.

They look nice on your radio , feel great to "click" (a nice solid motion) and once you upgrade your DX6i you'll never have to worry again. They're seriously worth every penny!
AggressorBLUE is offline Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:37 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,347 Posts
They do look great but in the event of a user pushing hard on them they could damage the pcb button underneath and why I think they made the OEM trims that way, to give way under pressure and not damage the pcb button. Easier to fix/replace the trim lever than the pcb button.

My Canadian .02$ and someone who's OEM trims haven't broken yet.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:18 AM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
They do look great but in the event of a user pushing hard on them they could damage the pcb button underneath and why I think they made the OEM trims that way, to give way under pressure and not damage the pcb button. Easier to fix/replace the trim lever than the pcb button.

My Canadian .02$ and someone who's OEM trims haven't broken yet.
You're pushing way too hard if your breaking those buttons.

They made them that way because plastic is cheaper than AU
AggressorBLUE is offline Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:51 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggressorBLUE View Post
You're pushing way too hard if your breaking those buttons. ...
Sure and some would say the same for the trims BUT I guess the owners not breaking them are the lucky ones since a company would not be making after market trims if there was no problems with them.