HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:01 AM
Central B.C.
Joined May 2008
72 Posts
Discussion
HELP for a newbie

For several years now I have had a desire to build a model tugboat. I wanted something fairly large, 30 to 40 inches, simple to build with common materials.
I am interested in stand off scale. A more detailed scale subject may follow. I have some modelling experience, having dabbled with model aircraft the last 30 years.
I have aquired several plans, but each seems to either lack in one area or another(in my opinion), or is too complex.
I know nothing about the propulsion system, batteries etc that I may need or the actual building of the boat for that matter, although I am not "electrically challenged".
I suppose the question I have is can someone recommend a fairly simple project in terms of construction and drive requiremnets that would address the needs of a rank beginer? Possibly a kit?
Thanks in advance.
bear57 is offline Find More Posts by bear57
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:20 AM
Woodfumbler......
Copenhagen. Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
1,195 Posts
It is simple look at MACK he got your kit and advice, and you can call him. http://www.mackproductsrc.com/ scale boats page 1 The question is then if you want to build the hull of wood or get one of those ABS hull and structure boats, it's up to you. If you want another Dumas http://www.dumasproducts.com/index.php?cPath=136 (not on his homepage) he can get it for you. i got this on the shelf from MACK (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1558895)

Anyway its your choice, and fun to come...

Best of luck and be certain you can get ALL the advice you going to need here...
Sharky1dk is online now Find More Posts by Sharky1dk
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:48 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,261 Posts
I always recommend for beginners: Build a kit first to get an idea of what's going on... then try scratch builds...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:29 PM
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined Feb 2010
103 Posts
that's good advice from patmat and I agree it's the best way to go. Start with a complete kit, then semi kit, and on to scratch if you want the challenge. But there is always plenty of challenge in just doing a precise job on a kit and adding lots of your own detail items. And lastly, there is no shortage of advise and help on this forum when it comes to props, motors esc's, radios, whatever. Welcome aboard !!!!
rctugger is offline Find More Posts by rctugger
Last edited by rctugger; Jun 13, 2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:43 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,785 Posts
Well that is how I started I pick up the old Lindburg PT 109 at the 1.32nd scale built it got it runing in the pond then decided to try to scratch build that was over 20 years ago and only stop a few times to take a brake . YUP Pat is 100 percent right get a kit learn from it then go with what ever you want . DON THE Portland Rustbucket
Rustbucket is online now Find More Posts by Rustbucket
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:27 PM
United States, PA, Slatington
Joined Feb 2007
399 Posts
For a wood tug I would recommend this one. It was my first kit build back in the late 80's.
http://www.dumasproducts.com/product...roducts_id=352

The other kit I would recommend it the Jim Wilder. There has been several build threads over the years here. This is a step up in building skill but not much. This kit has good instructions and plans. You will find plenty of help and support on this model.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1506688
JOHN SCALE BOAT is offline Find More Posts by JOHN SCALE BOAT
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
I agree with these guys. I have a scratch built beautiful tug and that is all I have.The cost will exceed that of a kit and you will have all the goodies.
onfinal32 is offline Find More Posts by onfinal32
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:59 AM
Stilwell Shipyard
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Nov 2003
2,100 Posts
I started with a Vac-U-tow boat as embellished by towboatjoe http://towboatjoe.tripod.com/ and enjoyed every minute building and running. Learned a lot, no wood so that might be your second build.
lslewis is offline Find More Posts by lslewis
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:20 AM
Central B.C.
Joined May 2008
72 Posts
Help for newbie

Some very good information here.
I will digest all this and possibly later in the summer I will get to the point of making sawdust.
thanks to all
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:27 PM
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Aug 2011
1,877 Posts
30-40'' Tug

I would agree, get a good kit, but add with a fiberglass hull. You are talking a model that will have a ready to run weight, of 25-50lbs. You need a good strong hull, to hold up under transport, and storage. My 25'' pushboat, that draws less than 3'' of water, weighs in at 16-17lbs. CaptCB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:42 PM
Kamloops BC Can.
Joined Jan 2008
601 Posts
Welcome to the Group Bear,
Notice you're addr. is central BC. If you are in and around the Kamloops area, let me know and you can check out my lineup of tugs.
Norm
Olscuzbut is online now Find More Posts by Olscuzbut
Old Jun 25, 2012, 05:26 PM
Central B.C.
Joined May 2008
72 Posts
help for newbie

Hi Norm, I sent you a PM.