SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:20 AM
Austin
Joined May 2006
86 Posts
Discussion
Can someone tell me what type of connector this is?

Greetings fellow RC'ers. I purchased this VRX from Hobbywirless.com and was wondering what type of connector this was. At first I thought it was a cheap version of a standard SMA, but when I try to thread on a standard SMA connector to it, it does not fit. The threads wont start. It feels as if the inner diameter of the connector on RX is smaller than a standard SMA. I guess I should have takes some measurements. I will do that when I get home.

Thanks

http://hobbywireless.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=512
ImAcracker is offline Find More Posts by ImAcracker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:00 AM
Canada, ON, Welland
Joined Jan 2011
42 Posts
Looks to be an "F" connector similar to cable TV connectors. This is fairly typical of video RXs for FPV.
Technoweenie is offline Find More Posts by Technoweenie
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:07 AM
NDw
Ireland, Limerick, Kilmallock
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
The page does say "Detachable SMA Omini antenna " which suggests it is an sma.

F connectors are much larger diameter than sma.
NDw is offline Find More Posts by NDw
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:49 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Those type of recievers are normally SMA. I have two that look exactly the same but from RMRC and they are SMA connectors.
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:41 PM
Austin
Joined May 2006
86 Posts
I went home for lunch and grabbed the RX. Took some measurements and the RX connector inside diameter is about 4.45mm to 4.5mm. Standard SMA inner diameter is about 4.6MM. Amazing that the difference is that close. I have measure about 5 different SMA connectors laying around and all of them are about 4.6MM. Looks to be power quality control on this "SMA" wannabe connector on the RX? I wonder if anyone else has ordered this same RX from Hobbywireless. I'll probably end up replacing the connector on the RX with a real SMA connector of some sort.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 01:10 AM
United States, NV, Rachel
Joined Dec 2008
1,192 Posts
If it is an F connector you can just use this to make it ab sma
http://www.urbandrones.com/F-Male-to...ter_p_109.html
alexedit is offline Find More Posts by alexedit
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:26 AM
Austin
Joined May 2006
86 Posts
It is not an F connector. The outer diameter of the connector is way to small to be an F connector.