HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Jun 2012
5 Posts
Discussion
newbie help

hi everyone ,,, i have just purchased a Vic smeeds ballerina short kit .. and intend to convert it to 3 channel electric power ,,,,

can i ask for your advice on what motor ,,, speed controller,,, battery & prop size is best suited to the ballerina ... as this will be my first electric model having only built rubber power before
ian mcg is offline Find More Posts by ian mcg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:35 PM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,058 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

That looks like a nice model for conversion to electric RC. It would probably do well with a 28 gram (1 oz.) brushless outrunner rated about 1200-1400Kv, 7x3 - 8x4 prop, 10-amp ESC, and an 850-1000mAh 3S lipo. These parameters are quite flexible and will depend to some degree on the final weight of the model. I converted a model last year that is almost the same size as yours.

To estimate power train requirements for a given model, I always recommend WeboCalc:

http://flbeagle.rchomepage.com/softw..._imperial.html

Just plug in your plane's vital statistics to calculate the power required to fly it in the desired manner. Use the "Help" button for an excellent tutorial.

This model will probably do very well with 50-75 watts, which is well within the capability of items listed above.
whitecrest is offline Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:58 PM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,126 Posts
Hi Ian, welcome to RC Groups.

There is an electrified Ballerina thread here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=ballerina

Most of the Vic Smeed designs have been electrified by various people in the Vintage & Old-Timer Designs thread.

Good luck with the build
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Last edited by DeeBee1; Jun 13, 2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Spelling.