HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:21 AM
United States, NY, Victor
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Help!
Trouble binding DX7 to AR6100E

I just bought my first radio, a DX7 and AR6100E rx, from someone here in the Classifieds. I am trying to bind the radio to the receiver, but having trouble. I put the bind plug into the BAT slot on the RX, then plug in the ESC to the battery. No light comes on.

Then I turn on the transmitter with the bind button pushed in. The light on the RX flashes and then goes steady and is then bound correctly -- all the functions work fine. Then I remove the bind plug.

But when I turn off the transmitter or unplug the ESC, the bind seems to be lost and I have to rebind again when I turn it back on. Shouldn't the bind be permanent once the light on the receiver goes steady and the TX recognizes it?

Thanks!
Bryan
cassb is offline Find More Posts by cassb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:23 AM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
3,284 Posts
Something doesn't sound right.

When you insert the bind plug and power up the reciever it should flash fast.

When you go to bind mode on the radio the flashing should slow down till it locks in after several seconds.

Try using a 4 cell or 5 cell pack pluged in to the reciever directly.
barracudahockey is online now Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barracudahockey View Post
Something doesn't sound right.

When you insert the bind plug and power up the reciever it should flash fast.

When you go to bind mode on the radio the flashing should slow down till it locks in after several seconds.

Try using a 4 cell or 5 cell pack pluged in to the reciever directly.
I'm sorry, I'm new. How do you plug a battery directly into the receiver? And, all I have are 2200mAh and 1300mAh batteries.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:17 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,473 Posts
Don't plug a LiPo into the receiver. The advice relates to a 4 or 5 cell NiMH pack, which uses a normal servo-type connector. It's not essential but is a way to eliminate the ESC from the equation.

Since you don't have such a battery, let's focus on what you've got, an ESC. Insert the bind plug into the batt slot and plug the ESC cable into Ch1 (or any other for now). Note the correct orientation of the plug as indicated on the receiver. Plug the ESC into a 2 or 3-cell LiPo. Leave the transmitter OFF.

You should see rapid flashing of the LED, indicating that the receiver is in bind mode.

Possibilities if it doesn't flash include:
  • Connector reversed (try it the other way)
  • Bad bind plug (try another)
  • Lack of power (try another ESC)
  • Dead battery (try another)
  • Bad receiver (send it back)
If you don't see the receiver flashing, there's no point in thinking about any other issues as nothing can happen if it's not in bind mode.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
OK thank you Daedalus66! I tried again just now and this is what I did and what happened (still not working right):

1) Plugged in bind plug to BAT port. Plugged in ESC to AIL port in correct orientation.
2) Plugged 2-cell LiPo into ESC. Receiver light flashes rapidly.
3) Turned on DX7 with bind button pushed in. Receiver light flashes slowly, ESC beeps 3 times and light then goes steady.
4) Plugged in the other servos to the receiver and all is working fine so far.

5) Leaving Tx on, unplugged the ESC from the battery. Rx light goes out and no response -- OK.
6) Tx still on, plugged in ESC to battery. Rx light flashes slowly, but servos still respond correctly to Tx.
7) Unplugged ESC from battery and turned off Tx. Turned on Tx and then plugged in ESC to battery. No light at all on Rx and no response to Tx inputs.
8) Unplugged and turned off and restarted bind sequence again.
9) Go back to step 1 and repeat.

So why won't the DX7 and AR6100E reconnect again when Tx power is off and back on? Is there a setting on the radio I need to change to make it work?

Or, is maybe the ESC not working right? It's the stock 20A ESC that comes with the RTF Sky Surfer.

Thanks!
Bryan
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:56 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,416 Posts
1. Everything off/disconnected.
2. Bind plug in the BATT/BIND port of the Rx
3. ESC to any open port of the receiver in the correct direction.
4. Battery to ESC - receiver LED must flash quickly; if not - something in steps 2, 3 and 4 is not correct, do not continue but figure out the issue and restart from step 1.
5. Push and hold the bind button on the back of the transmitter.
6. While still holding the Tx bind button turn on the Tx power... keep the bind button pressed until the end of step 7.
7. Receiver LED will stop blinking then blink slowly then stop then come on solid. Now you can release the bind button.
8. Test for proper operation.
9. Remove the bind plug from the Rx.
10. Unplug the battery from the ESC.
11. Turn off the Tx.

To test operation:
12. Turn on the Tx - the light on the back has to be solid on.
13. Plug in the battery to the ESC. After a short pause the light on the Rx should be solid on.
14. Test for proper operation
15. Unplug the battery from ESC
16. Turn off Tx.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:35 PM
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
1. Everything off/disconnected.
2. Bind plug in the BATT/BIND port of the Rx
3. ESC to any open port of the receiver in the correct direction.
4. Battery to ESC - receiver LED must flash quickly; if not - something in steps 2, 3 and 4 is not correct, do not continue but figure out the issue and restart from step 1.
5. Push and hold the bind button on the back of the transmitter.
6. While still holding the Tx bind button turn on the Tx power... keep the bind button pressed until the end of step 7.
7. Receiver LED will stop blinking then blink slowly then stop then come on solid. Now you can release the bind button.
8. Test for proper operation.
9. Remove the bind plug from the Rx.
10. Unplug the battery from the ESC.
11. Turn off the Tx.

To test operation:
12. Turn on the Tx - the light on the back has to be solid on.
13. Plug in the battery to the ESC. After a short pause the light on the Rx should be solid on.
14. Test for proper operation
15. Unplug the battery from ESC
16. Turn off Tx.
OK, everything works fine up until step 12 above. The light on the back of the Tx flashes for about 3 seconds then goes out whenever I turn it on. And the Rx no longer works until I bind them again with steps 1-11. Maybe when I turn it on, some switch has to be set or something? I don't know what the flashing light on the back means.

Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:47 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassb View Post
OK, everything works fine up until step 12 above. The light on the back of the Tx flashes for about 3 seconds then goes out whenever I turn it on. And the Rx no longer works until I bind them again with steps 1-11. Maybe when I turn it on, some switch has to be set or something? I don't know what the flashing light on the back means.

Thanks!
The light goes on solidly when the transmitter is in normal mode. There are no switches that need to be set.

If it flashes, then goes out, it is going into bind mode. Are you sure you are NOT pressing the button when you turn on the TX?

Assuming you aren't, try pushing the button a couple of times with the Tx off, just to see if it's sticking. Then turn on without the button pushed. You should get a solid light.

Note. I just verified all this with my DX7.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
The light goes on solidly when the transmitter is in normal mode. There are no switches that need to be set.

If it flashes, then goes out, it is going into bind mode. Are you sure you are NOT pressing the button when you turn on the TX?

Assuming you aren't, try pushing the button a couple of times with the Tx off, just to see if it's sticking. Then turn on without the button pushed. You should get a solid light.

Note. I just verified all this with my DX7.
Well, I figured it out! The button is partially pressed when I tightened down the top two screws on the back. So, it's all good now. I loosened those two screws and we're back in business! Whew!

I had removed the back cover to check out the insides and the tension adjustments. I guess you can't tighten those two top screws all the way in or it compresses the back enough to push in that button. Lesson learned.

Thanks all,
Bryan
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:52 PM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,416 Posts
Bryan,

You should be able to tighten all screws without any ill effects. Open up the radio and make sure the RF board is properly seated. Also check for anything bent, warped or out of shape or place.

Ivan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
Bryan,

You should be able to tighten all screws without any ill effects. Open up the radio and make sure the RF board is properly seated. Also check for anything bent, warped or out of shape or place.

Ivan
OK I'll check, but I'm just glad to have it working. I can live with a couple untightened screws. :-)
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:59 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassb View Post
OK I'll check, but I'm just glad to have it working. I can live with a couple untightened screws. :-)
That's not the point. You need to take the back off and make sure the circuit boards and other bits are all in their place. The back normally fits snugly with no such problem.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:53 PM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,416 Posts
What D66 said. A misaligned board or switch may cause issues in the future. One of which is accidentally activating the bind/low power switch in flight which greatly reduces the range of the radio and will cause loss of control.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
That's not the point. You need to take the back off and make sure the circuit boards and other bits are all in their place. The back normally fits snugly with no such problem.
I took off the back and checked everything for pinched wires, loose screws... and there was a piece of tape or something stuck to the back of the button that I scraped off. If I tighten the screws snug, it's fine. If I crank them down as much as possible, it goes into bind mode when I turn it on. I'll just leave them snug and call it good.

Thanks!
bryan
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:37 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,511 Posts
I did see this personally one time.Some kind of problem with the bind/low power button.It was stuck in bind/low power.Long story short I did get it working for the day.Not my radio but I did convince the owner to send it in and get it serviced.
Your comment about having the screws looser or tighter changing the switch output worries me alot.It kind of indicates a very close clearance/tolerance issue.Bear in mind this clearance may likely change with temperature.As it warms up the circuit may go into the button depressed mode when the clearance goes away from material expansion.If this happens during a flight...well you can see where Im going with this.If it is operating that marginally I would seriously think about sending it in to HH and having it get a thorough checkup.They will fix the issue correctly and also check the entire system out.
The turnaround time right now is fast.Even if you ship it standard ground from NY it should be back in a week.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal