HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2003, 08:02 AM
Richmond, VA
Joined Apr 2002
993 Posts
Rolling harrier explained

I've seen several videos of rolling harriers and have been practicing them. Mine are pretty ugly in that they look more like corkscrew harriers. I can't seem to get them to roll in an axial rotation. Do you just use elevator to keep the nose up or is rudder required also?

Grant
Parkflyer is offline Find More Posts by Parkflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2003, 08:12 AM
Pro Bro #495
Farmington NM
Joined Apr 2002
3,194 Posts
The rudder helps clean them up a little. I've watched some really good pilots do them with big 40% planes and I could see the rudder moving in the appropriate directions. I try to do it with mine sometimes, but most of the time I get lazy and just use the elevator.
fwilly is offline Find More Posts by fwilly
Old Nov 08, 2003, 08:19 AM
Bloomington, IL (Hell's Cornfield)
Joined Dec 2001
1,096 Posts
I use both, and I find I need a good amount of rudder.

You may find it necessary to add shots of power, which will be most effective at keeping the nose up when the wings are approaching level. I'm self-taught from watching others, so that may not be the "official" way to do it.

Just my beginner's two cents worth.

Karl

Here's a video where you might be able to see the rudder deflection in action. It was kind of dark that day, but you can see it pretty well (harrier rolls start about 1/2 through the segment. Obviously, that's NOT me flying, I'm behind the camera.

Extreme Flight YAK
theKAT is offline Find More Posts by theKAT
Old Nov 08, 2003, 08:49 AM
Richmond, VA
Joined Apr 2002
993 Posts
Kat,

That video really shows the rudder action, I thought that's what I needed to do. It really makes you appreciate those that can do it well, two sticks going in 4 axis and all coordinated.

What's more those gas guys had to practice with a $1000 dollar plane. I need to start playing video games to get the hand eye coordination as good as my kids.

Grant
Parkflyer is offline Find More Posts by Parkflyer
Old Nov 09, 2003, 08:21 PM
PRO BRO #157
Sterling hts, Michigan
Joined Jun 2003
2,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Parkflyer
Kat,

That video really shows the rudder action, I thought that's what I needed to do. It really makes you appreciate those that can do it well, two sticks going in 4 axis and all coordinated.

What's more those gas guys had to practice with a $1000 dollar plane. I need to start playing video games to get the hand eye coordination as good as my kids.

Grant
Not really true. I learned on a $65 profile. Yes it is a slimer but really cheap slimer. OMP 540. 48 inch wing with about 700 sq inch wing aera. 46 fx motor swinging a 11.5x4 zinger prop. 4 lbs and hovers at about 1/2 throttle.

Here is the first day i tried to do rolling harriers. This is rudder ONLY to boot. I have gotten better since then. Thank god. Its a little long but I think you will enjoy it.
http://www.rcsites.net/daking/ompmovie.WMV
daking is offline Find More Posts by daking
Old Nov 09, 2003, 09:15 PM
rehsarCeoJ
Glenmoore, PA
Joined Jul 2003
253 Posts
daking

Cool vid.

How far back did you have your center of gravity when you shot this vid?

Joe
JoeCrasher is offline Find More Posts by JoeCrasher
Old Nov 10, 2003, 04:26 AM
PRO BRO #157
Sterling hts, Michigan
Joined Jun 2003
2,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JoeCrasher
daking

Cool vid.

How far back did you have your center of gravity when you shot this vid?

Joe
I set the CG to the book. Cant remember right now. It was a little aft of what the plane needed. It would pretty much do an outside loop by it self when i rolled to inverted. At one time i did have the CG set right (hands off inverted) and it did rolling harriers the same as the aft CG but elevators and climbing inverted flat spin sufferd a little bit.

Here is the set up on the plane. Make sure you scroll alll the way down and click set up.
http://geocities.com/daking803332/profile540.html
Old Nov 10, 2003, 06:20 AM
rehsarCeoJ
Glenmoore, PA
Joined Jul 2003
253 Posts
Thanks daking ,

One other thing about your video I forgot to mention.

LOVE THAT SOUND!

I wish someone would invent a way for electric stuff to sound like IC.....
JoeCrasher is offline Find More Posts by JoeCrasher
Old Nov 10, 2003, 04:36 PM
PRO BRO #157
Sterling hts, Michigan
Joined Jun 2003
2,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JoeCrasher
Thanks daking ,

One other thing about your video I forgot to mention.

LOVE THAT SOUND!

I wish someone would invent a way for electric stuff to sound like IC.....
That's easy. Take a GWS gear box and rub a tooth or two down with a file. I had one that i messed up a couple of teeth on and a buddy said it sounded like a gas motor. Hehehehe.
Old Nov 10, 2003, 04:53 PM
Gotta have more cowbell!!
Clawson, MI USA
Joined Sep 2002
2,169 Posts
LOL! That would be me.

By the way the Formosa flew great today! (new gearbox = no more cool sound tho.) Then the rudder came off. Glued it back on, then while racing Jamison (I won of course) the dumb thing came off again plus the elevator came VERY loose. But it landed without any other damage.
MTwallet is offline Find More Posts by MTwallet
Old Nov 10, 2003, 04:58 PM
PRO BRO #157
Sterling hts, Michigan
Joined Jun 2003
2,084 Posts
sorry to hear about the tail feathers. Did you use foam safe CA???? I used epoxy and as you can see it didnt hold.

Did you weigh it yet????? Hows those rolling harriers coming any way? hehehe
Old Nov 10, 2003, 05:10 PM
Gotta have more cowbell!!
Clawson, MI USA
Joined Sep 2002
2,169 Posts
Oh yeah I forgot what thread this was. Too much wind for rolling harriers today. I did attempt it up high but I still can't get my brain to tell my thumbs how to do it yet. Try some more tomorrow (day off) (:

Weight is 13.4 oz w/2cell TP2100.

And yes I used fs CA. But maybe too cold out for it to work well.
MTwallet is offline Find More Posts by MTwallet
Old Nov 15, 2004, 06:06 AM
Joined Oct 2004
55 Posts
The best description i have found was on www.3dbatix.com.

I find reducing your expo on the rudder a big help because otherwise you keep changing the throttle too much with all that movement.
Freestyle-RC is offline Find More Posts by Freestyle-RC
Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:05 PM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,177 Posts
http://sb.flyingcirkus.com/vids4/3du...ngharriers.wmv
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Nov 15, 2004, 02:33 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Jun 2003
593 Posts
I found it to be too much at first to try to learn with both rudder and elevator so what I did was practice them with just elevator and throttle management, then do it again with just rudder and throttle management. This way you are not too "overloaded" on the old noodle. I then try with both until I became out of sync then back to square one. Eventually it will become second nature...hopefully.
SQUARE ROOT is offline Find More Posts by SQUARE ROOT