SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:39 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,641 Posts
Covering the compound curves of the stringered aft fuselage with doculam is a pain. Having to do it in small sections, very tedious.
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:51 AM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
452 Posts
Phil, please could you explain the axle set up in a little more detail. I would like to build some suspension in to my build. At present I have a completely rigid set up which is pretty hefty. Considering we are working in the same scale your gear looks a lot lighter. Thanks, Gavin.
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:38 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
looks great mate, i don't know if the Airodrome Abli is the same setup as their Pfalz but if it is and the undercart has a ply type spreader by the time the axle is lashed down to the center of it the outers spring quite nicely with a pit of hat elastic around the ends for looks.

Craig
trumps is online now Find More Posts by trumps
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:39 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,641 Posts
Trumps, the Aerodrome Albi plans show the uc as all 1/16 music wire with a spreader glued over the fixed axle. I like your Pfalz set up. What I did for mine isn't scale, but should work for a suspended axle without adding much weight.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:06 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompwat View Post
Phil, please could you explain the axle set up in a little more detail. I would like to build some suspension in to my build. At present I have a completely rigid set up which is pretty hefty. Considering we are working in the same scale your gear looks a lot lighter. Thanks, Gavin.
Are you building the aerodrome kit? The Aerodrome kit has a uc of 1/16 music wire, and is about as light as can be. I have replaced the 1/16 fixed axle with 1/8 carbon fiber inside an aluminum tube, to have a suspended live axle. this adds about a tenth of an oz. to the build.

The aluminum tube/bushing was replaced once on my Fok DRI. It had to be straightened another time. An aluminum bushing will hold up to normal landing conditions.
Last edited by phillip57; Aug 01, 2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:18 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,641 Posts
My setup isn't scale, it doesn't provide for a spreader. However, these pics indicate that not all Albatros DV's were exactly the same in the uc department
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:40 AM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
452 Posts
Thanks for the detail Phil, that's really helpful and has given me some ideas. No, my build is an SE5a from plans but is in the same scale. The u/c is 12swg wire with 10 swg axle and weighs a ton. I am looking to save weight and would like to introduce some suspension. I see no reason why your live axle wouldn't work and will undoubtedly steal some of your ideas to try.
The planking looks amazing by the way!
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:40 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the detail Phil, that's really helpful and has given me some ideas. No, my build is an SE5a from plans but is in the same scale. The u/c is 12swg wire with 10 swg axle and weighs a ton. I am looking to save weight and would like to introduce some suspension. I see no reason why your live axle wouldn't work and will undoubtedly steal some of your ideas to try.
The planking looks amazing by the way!
Thanks, but my method wouldn't work if I was going for the varnished wood look.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:18 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,641 Posts
The uncovered aft fuselage was flimsy, and difficult to cover without wrinkles. As more of the aft fuse was covered, it became more rigid enabling larger ares to be covered without wrinkles.
The strip where the horizontal fin will be glued was left bare, so the fin will adhere to the frame, not the covering.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:09 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,641 Posts
Can't do much more until the wings are framed up...
Last edited by phillip57; Aug 09, 2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:44 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,641 Posts
Solartex strips are used for the aileron hinges, a drop of ca on either side secures them. Should've done this with the tail surfaces.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:18 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,661 Posts
Nice work, Phil.
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:10 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Heres how the original looked. Live axles save me a good amount of repairs I think

Nice build.

Steve
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:07 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,641 Posts
Finished covering the fuselage.