SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:06 PM
CMF
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2011
32 Posts
Discussion
Great Planes Escapade 61 / Mintor 22 Gas Motor

Finished building my Escapade. I used the new Mintor 22 motor for the power plant. Flown it several times now and it seams to be a good match. I really like that you don't have to clean up oil after flying. The gas motor is easy to start and has lots of power.
cmfsac is offline Find More Posts by cmfsac
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:04 PM
Dana, Indiana
Joined Jan 2007
580 Posts
That looks very nice!
whitewolf is offline Find More Posts by whitewolf
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:47 PM
CMF
Joined Feb 2011
32 Posts
Thanks Whitewolf, I hope to fly it again this weekend if its not too windy. I need to test a couple of different props to find what works best, i'm currently using a 16x8 APC.

Regards
Last edited by cmfsac; Jun 16, 2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Stated wrong prop size.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 01:12 AM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2003
370 Posts
Nice!

That looks very nice. You put together something that meets what I'm looking for - a small gasser sport plane. Please keep us updated on your prop research, I may pay you the ultimate compliment by copying your efforts!
RGose is offline Find More Posts by RGose
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:01 PM
CMF
Joined Feb 2011
32 Posts
That would be a nice compliment...
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:07 PM
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2012
92 Posts
Hey cmfsac

Beautiful job. I myself am getting ready to finish up an Escapade .61 but will have an OS 75AX glow. My question revolves around the Mintor 22cc. I'm getting ready to make the big jump to gas myself and was getting ready to buy a DLE 20 until I started reading about the Mintor. there is a ton of info out there concerning the DLE and it's very obvious the 20cc is very finicky and can require a lot of tuning/tinkering to get it running right and some people have great luck and others never get it running good. Anyway, since the Mintor 22cc is fairly new there isn't much info out there yet but what little I could find has been pretty much 100% positive. Are you happy with the Mintor so far and was it fairly easy to get going out of the box? Also, it appears as if yours is set up with a manual choke? I was under the impression they came with some type of automatic choke. Did you change your choke set up? I'm getting ready to buy any day now and could use all the info available. Not to mention the Mintor is absolutely beautiful! Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks

Randy
flyboy9994 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy9994
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Mar 2011
133 Posts
Sweet sounding engine hope to see you flying her again soon.

Ken
ken78cvx20 is offline Find More Posts by ken78cvx20
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:46 PM
CMF
Joined Feb 2011
32 Posts
Randy,

I have done nothing to my motor other than put gas in the tank and spin the prop, it started almost immediately, no adjustment made with the needles yet. I have been running 32:1 fuel in the motor and have been having some oil residue out the exhaust. I will be going to 50:1 now that I have ran my fisrt gallon of fuel thru it. If I continur to get oil from the exhaust I may adjust the needles.

The choke is automatic, you set it manually and then give a little gas to release it. I have only used the choke the first couple of times that I strarted the motor. I found I don't need it and the motor starts easily, runs, and idles perfectly.

I'm new to gas or power motors so I don't have a lot of experience, with that being said I really like this motor so far, and would recomend it. I thought my Escapade would be over powered with the M22 but I found that it's about right.

Regards
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:56 PM
CMF
Joined Feb 2011
32 Posts
Thanks Ken, I may get out to fly on Sunday, well see. How your Escapade coming along?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Mar 2011
133 Posts
Well I might just see you out there then, hope to bring it with me.

Ken
ken78cvx20 is offline Find More Posts by ken78cvx20
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:00 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
939 Posts
The reason it starts with out the choke is because it is rich. You need to tune the motor for your surroundings. Try letting it idle for 2 minutes and see if it picks up rpm's right away. Tune the low end for good transition and the high end for the rich side of peak. No need to richin it up like a glow motor. I think once you tune it you might find it a little over powered.
Mikecam is offline Find More Posts by Mikecam
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:26 AM
CMF
Joined Feb 2011
32 Posts
I've been reluctant to adjust until I have had a chance to break the motor in. What would it mean if the idle picks up after two minutes, to rich? Do mean adjust the high needle to max rpm and leave it there instead of opening opening it up a little? When adjusting for good transition, do you close the low needle until you get a hesitation and then open up a little?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:36 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
939 Posts
A gas motor can be tuned right away and should be and does not need to be run rich for the first couple of flights. You usually run a little extra oil for the first gallon of fuel for break in. For the case of 20cc engines I would suggest you mix a 32 to 1 ratio and keep using it for the life of the motor.
The idle should lower as the rich low needle loads up the engine. When you open the throttle it will smoke and take it's time to rev up, similar to a glow motor. Keep leaning till it hesitates upon opening the throttle and then richin up the low end till it transitions quickly. You should be able to let it idle for 5 minutes and snap the throttle wide open and have it rev up instantly.
The high end can be set for peak RPM but the needle will turn about an 1/8 turn before she starts to drop rpm's. Set the high speed for the rich side of peak meaning just at the point where she makes the most rpm's. Not where she starts to lose rpm's, hope that makes sense to you. Cooling should be no problem for your set up so tuning should be fairly easy.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:44 AM
CMF
Joined Feb 2011
32 Posts
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:49 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
939 Posts
The really nice thing about gassers is once they are set you should never have to touch them again. Once you have run a half gallon thru the engine after tuning it pull the plug with engine cool and check the plug. Should be a nice tan color. Anything black is still rich.
I leave the fuel in the line to the carb for easier starting the next time out but I do empty the tank. That way if by chance you forget to fill the tank you should not be able start, warm up and taxi out to take off before running out the fuel in the line only.
Keep us posted on your results.