HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:38 PM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
434 Posts
Discussion
New Slow Hawk 4 Kit Now with Video!

The Eagle has landed!! My Slow Hawk 4 kit arrived today The workmanship is excellent and I can't wait to get it assembled and in the air! I ordered it with black wings and white tail so it will look sort of eagleish in the air. We have many eagles here near the Mississippi River some of whom stay all year long. I'll post some pics and may ask for some help if I get stuck. Best, Aero
Aeronut41 is offline Find More Posts by Aeronut41
Last edited by Aeronut41; Jun 24, 2012 at 07:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:30 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,159 Posts
cool ilove eagles need any help just ask
regards Brian
therealthing691 is offline Find More Posts by therealthing691
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:18 AM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
434 Posts
Thanks RT! Making slow but steady progress on it using Sean's on site instructions and pics from the forum here. Checking and double checking so I don't screw it up Best, Aero
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:14 PM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
434 Posts
Finished

Got the bird all assembled and will test fly it when the winds die down around here! Attaching a few pics. Do you veteran orni flyers see any obvious problems or anything? Appreciate any comments. Best, Aero
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:30 PM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
Looks great
Tony Twoskids is offline Find More Posts by Tony Twoskids
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:54 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,159 Posts
as long as the forward gear rotates clockwise looking from the motor side i cant see a problem alls good
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:09 AM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
434 Posts
Eagle Head

Thanks Tony and RT! Wind is still blowing and haven't tested it yet but just for fun I made a light card stock sleeve eagle head to spice it up a little! Printed out reverse images and used tape around the perimeter. It is help on to the frame with a small piece of tape. I know it won't be very durable especially while I'm learning to fly but it only takes a few minutes to make and I might make a couple spares for the flight box! It is very light and hopefully won't upset the balance! Like RT I really like eagles too Best, Aero
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:19 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,159 Posts
looks great aero and as for weight just put the battery up the back under the wing and after you have flown a few times move it closer to the front till you are happy orni's wont stall but can nose dive easy cheers Brian
have a look at the australian wedge tail eagle there huge
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:43 AM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
434 Posts
It's Alive! It's Alive!

Well, my knees are still shaking but had my first ornithopter flight When I woke up this morning I looked out the window and though the skys were threatening it was calm so grabbed the eagle and headed for the park. When I got there it started to sprinkle but I decided it was now or never and gave it a toss! It flys!!! The bird smoothly lifted away and I was able to control it fine! Flying around myself it was like a real eagle was flapping its way through the park The area was a bit small and I was kept busy trying to keep the bird out of the surrounding trees. After a few minutes the rain started coming down in ernest so I landed by slowly throttling back and it made a smooth greaser landing in the grass. Packed up and came home a happy man!! Next time I'll fly in a larger spot and get up high to try some glides! Anyway, I'm sure you experienced guys remember your first ornithopter flight! I know I'll never forget this one Best, Aero
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:47 AM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
That's so exciting. I'm anticipating a maiden within the next week or two myself... as I have a slow hawk on the way from a forum member.

I love the eagle customization. How long was your flightime, and battery used?

Thanks,
Tony
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:00 AM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
434 Posts
Thanks Tony! It is very exciting!! My flight time was only about 4 or 5 minutes because of the increasing rain. Using an 800mah battery so I'll charge it and see how much was used. It's really raining now and wind coming back up so I'll wait for a better day before I try it again. Maybe my knees will stop shaking by then too Good luck with your new bird!!
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:01 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronut41 View Post
Well, my knees are still shaking but had my first ornithopter flight When I woke up this morning I looked out the window and though the skys were threatening it was calm so grabbed the eagle and headed for the park. When I got there it started to sprinkle but I decided it was now or never and gave it a toss! It flys!!! The bird smoothly lifted away and I was able to control it fine! Flying around myself it was like a real eagle was flapping its way through the park The area was a bit small and I was kept busy trying to keep the bird out of the surrounding trees. After a few minutes the rain started coming down in ernest so I landed by slowly throttling back and it made a smooth greaser landing in the grass. Packed up and came home a happy man!! Next time I'll fly in a larger spot and get up high to try some glides! Anyway, I'm sure you experienced guys remember your first ornithopter flight! I know I'll never forget this one Best, Aero
hey aero i started flying five years ago and still love it when i fly i take about 10 packs i love it still get a buzz regards Brian they are great fun im hooked i love orni,s especially when other birds join in
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:10 AM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
434 Posts
Hey RT. I think I'm hooked too I have 4 packs ready but may have to get more!!! Been thinking of getting into ornis for years and am sure glad I took the plunge! Already thinking of my next one! Hmmm, A Red Tail Hawk would be a nice companion for my eagle Best, Aero
Old Jun 17, 2012, 07:24 PM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
434 Posts
Update

Well, I have had three good flying sessions with the eagle and am getting on to handing it much better. Did a couple nose plants initially till I got the launch down but now I can reliably throw it on each try. This evening's session resulted in a lot of bird company! First 4 crows showed up and made a lot of noise while diving at him till they gave up and flew away screaming out their parting comments! Next a large hawk came and made a close pass at the eagle. Must not have liked what he saw as he also took off in a hurry! Got some gliding in too and hit the proper dihedral angle about 2 out 3 times! Anyway, sure am enjoying this bird though my shaking knees haven't caught up with the rest of me yet Aero
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:20 PM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
What are your suggestions for launch?