HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:19 PM
kdt
Joined Feb 2007
432 Posts
Feel

The 12X feels great in my hands as well. I used one for a year and loved it. Very solid and well built. I find the is 11x much lighter but it dose not fit my hands as well as the 12x. The DX18 is perfect for me with the best attributes of the 12x and 11x built into it. Not too heavy and the all the switches are easy to access. The DX18 is the first TX I have used that I do not feel the need to use my tray to support it. Great balance on the neck strap.

The DX18 does everything I need that the 12x did and is easier to program. More flight modes available as well. Cannot wait to get the telemetry working!

Size is a bit taller due to the antennae being fixed and does not need the antennae to be oriented as with the 11x and 12x. The DX18 will not fit in my small aluminum breifcase . The JR double case works nice with the DX18 and 11x.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Went to a hobby shop last week and held a DX18. Although I use a 12X now, the DX18 seemed bigger or bulkier. Sticking with the 12X for now.
kdt is offline Find More Posts by kdt
Last edited by kdt; Sep 30, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:53 PM
kdt
Joined Feb 2007
432 Posts
Switch extentions

My preference is to use switch C and D on the DX18 for flight modes. Very easy to change the switch assignment. I have felt the switches are a bit small on all my radios and made up these extensions using short pieces of aluminum and brass tubes with heat shrink. Helps with the feel of different flight modes.

JR stick extensions fit the DX18.

The tray in the left background has been relegated to 11x use only.
kdt is offline Find More Posts by kdt
Last edited by kdt; Sep 30, 2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:46 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,461 Posts
I am all transitioned to the DX18 as well...great radio. Sold my 11X and X9303. Just have the DX and a JR 12X now (and even debating whether to keep the 12X).

Tom
tewatson is online now Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:58 PM
Joined Jul 2002
546 Posts
I had the same thought thinking the DX 18 sticks and switches were not as well located as my trusty 12X at first but then some measurements with a calliper proved me wrong, both transmitters were about the same.

But took me a couple of flying sessions to get really used to the DX18 feel, now it seems natural on my hands.
Glauco is offline Find More Posts by Glauco
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:37 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,130 Posts
I was wondering if when using the GPS telemetry function, would it be able to assist in locating a downed model lost in the woods or a corn field or such?

See Ya,

Pat
pmccleave is offline Find More Posts by pmccleave
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:01 PM
Sherman Knight
Kirkland Washington
Joined Feb 2002
1,084 Posts
Full House Sailplane Guide Version 3.1

Version 3.1 of the Guide for a Six Servo Sailplane and its associated .SPM file is available HERE post #35

Release Notes for the Six Servo Sailplane Guide. These changes came about as questions were raised by consumers about issues and alternative means to create a function.

Version 2.0 Guide

Because Flight Modes were already created in the Guide and Template and the Guide only discusses how to adjust them, there were requests for how to create Flight Modes From scratch. A Flight Mode Addendum was added for this purpose.

An addendum was added demonstrating how to add and remove points in a :curved” mix.

Version 3.0 template fixes an incorrect value. Camber preset in Thermal Mode for Right Flap was changed from 7.0 to -7.0.

Version 3.0 Guide

New addendum have been added for:
· reversing the flap stick,
· using the monitor screen for trouble shooting and
· using a motor.

The V-tail addendum has been completely rewritten to eliminate my misunderstanding of the V-Tail feature.

Grammar corrections and changes to the text were made throughout the guide to increase readability.

Version 3.1 Guide

In a V tail model, if the Aileron > Rudder mix is used, the V-Tail Differential setting is now fully supported. You need to download and install Airware Version 1.03 from the Spektrum Community Website.

An alternative method to make the flaps move the same amount throughout the Flap movement using the Balance function was added.

A section was added to demonstrate how to remove a flight mode in the event you only want to use four Flight Modes.

An addendum was added to show you how to reverse the Flap Stick.

Grammar corrections and changes to the text were made throughout the guide to increase readability.
duworm is offline Find More Posts by duworm
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:42 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,880 Posts
struggleforlife is offline Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old May 07, 2013, 11:57 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2010
2,325 Posts
Just had a play with a DX18 today.

I heard a "rumour" the gimbals are manufactured by JR and based on the hands on feel I would agree with it.

The DX18 gimbals feel exactly like those on my JR11x, identical, they even have the 4mm thread for the stick extensions.

the DX8 and Dx7s use 3mm thread and feel similar to each other but totally different to the DX18.

Overall a very nice radio, just can't justify another one....
Rob2160 is online now Find More Posts by Rob2160
Old Jul 15, 2013, 02:21 AM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,181 Posts
Love this radio

Hey All,

Just wanted to post how much I love my DX18. I use it for everything, F3B, F3F, F3K, and slope toys. Just love the feel of it in my hands, and it has never let me down...

Here's a pic of me posing this weekend at the US F3F team selects, and it helped get me on the team!

Tim
ttraver is offline Find More Posts by ttraver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2013, 06:02 AM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Jan 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttraver View Post
Hey All,

Just wanted to post how much I love my DX18. I use it for everything, F3B, F3F, F3K, and slope toys. Just love the feel of it in my hands, and it has never let me down...

Here's a pic of me posing this weekend at the US F3F team selects, and it helped get me on the team!

Tim
Well done! Congratulations Tim.
czorzella is offline Find More Posts by czorzella
Old Jul 16, 2013, 08:31 AM
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2010
283 Posts
Great flying last weekend Tim. What receiver do you like with the 18?

Scott
curdman is offline Find More Posts by curdman
Old Jul 16, 2013, 03:16 PM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,181 Posts
Hey Scott,

I use the 9020 receivers in my big planes, and now will use the 6260 in all of my DLG's...

t
ttraver is offline Find More Posts by ttraver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2013, 03:31 PM
USA, TX, Mansfield
Joined Aug 2004
320 Posts
Great Radio
onemetre is offline Find More Posts by onemetre
Last edited by onemetre; Jul 16, 2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: bad info
Old Jul 21, 2013, 02:57 AM
United States, CA, Visalia
Joined Dec 2011
11 Posts
I love my DX18 and I am a real rookie. Programming is intuitive, but the best part is the integral antenna that can't be broken off as I experienced with my old DX6e and DX8s.
rsbabcock is offline Find More Posts by rsbabcock
Old Jul 22, 2013, 02:49 PM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,544 Posts
Need help programming flap on DX18 for EREF sailplane...

I have an electric 3m REF sailplane and need help programming the flap system. I have chosen sailplane with motor on throttle stick as model type, but don't know which wing type to choose. None of the illustrations show flap only and operated with one servo. I want to operate the flap with the LLv with proportional elevator compensation. The manual hasn't been too much help. I've tried different wing types that show a flap, but nothing seems to be working out. I flew this sailplane on my DX8 with flap on a 2-position switch. Now I want variable flap positioning on the DX18. Any help appreciated.
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3