HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:42 PM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
No combat. Certainly most radios don't offer the luxury of mode switching on the stick and thus require you to let go and fiddle for switches at crucial moments. That's just the way it is (was) and there's no judgement to be made. If one can adapt to a new style however, Giuseppe's approach is the most intuitive and effective method available. I use a Futaba 8FG which has this same ability and I set it up the exact same way long ago. It's the only intuitive solution I can imagine so I was surprised to see others so shocked by it.
I think your imagination is broken..
danfitz is offline Find More Posts by danfitz
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:38 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,084 Posts
New DX18 has landed

Guys,

I have just this week received my new DX18 and hope to get started playing with it this weekend. I have already found one thing to add to my wish list on the TX and that is for a Tail Option with Dual Elevators in the Glider Mode. That would make it a lot nicer for Scale. I have not tried it yet, but I assume I will be able to just mix elevator with AUX2 and plug my second elevator in accordingly to achieve this, but I would think that would be an easy software upgrade that could be added in future updates. Looks to be a pretty straightforward radio and with the help of Shermans articles it will be even easier.

See Ya,

Pat
pmccleave is offline Find More Posts by pmccleave
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:15 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,876 Posts
Cool Pat,

Hey out of curiosity, what glider are you flying that is using two elevator servos?

Have fun with it.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:17 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
Cool Pat,

Hey out of curiosity, what glider are you flying that is using two elevator servos?

Have fun with it.

Mike
Prolly a big scalie
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:27 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,084 Posts
Dual Elevators

Hey Mike,

TK hit the nail on the head. It is one of the new Phoenix Models 6M K8B.

See Ya,

Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
Cool Pat,

Have fun with it.

Mike
Old Aug 05, 2012, 05:07 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,876 Posts
Yeppers...Thats a big scalie

There is no harm in the ole' Y harness bit for dual elevator servos. Or you could always assign 2 Rx ports to the elevator channel. You just won't have individual adjustments. Your mix idea might be the best way to have what you want.

Mike
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:49 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,084 Posts
Does anyone know if there is vario that is compatible with the Telemetry Modules for the DX18. I may be missing it but I have not been able to find one yet. I see they have an altimeter available but I have not seen a vario.

Thanks,

Pat
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:58 AM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jan 2011
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccleave View Post
Does anyone know if there is vario that is compatible with the Telemetry Modules for the DX18. I may be missing it but I have not been able to find one yet. I see they have an altimeter available but I have not seen a vario.

Thanks,

Pat
I have used this successfully: http://www.wingedshadow.com/thermalscout.html

They sell a cable to attach the device to the TM1000.

-Randy
Westranm is offline Find More Posts by Westranm
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:21 PM
LSF V aspirant
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,339 Posts
Charging question

It appears the supplied charger is simply a (12v?) power supply for an internal charging circuit. Thus, charging with anything else requires removing the pack...correct? Since the power supply is AC-sourced, field charging could become a bit of a pain unless a DC-sourced solution is developed.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Last edited by tewatson; Aug 08, 2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Revised question after RTFM
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:37 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,876 Posts
I think that there exists a warning to NOT use a lipo charger through the transmitter jack.

I believe that the Wall wart is just a 12v power supply that is designed specifically for the board in the transmitter. Charging the batter outside of the transmitter with a Lipo charger should be possible, but might require splicing on a charge tap lead.

Let me know how you like the 18 Tom.

Mike
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:48 PM
LSF V aspirant
Joined Oct 2006
2,339 Posts
Don't yet have it...just been reading up on things. If the internal charger in fact needs only a constant 12v supply, field charging could be as simple as building a charge lead that just connects to one's flight bag battery (in my case, a 7Ah gel cell).

Tom
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:47 PM
I'm #4 on Lindsay's list!
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,377 Posts
12V is easy. Either omit the charger and wire directly to your field battery or set your field charger for lead acid.
vespa is online now Find More Posts by vespa
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:14 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Jun 2006
558 Posts
The DX18 'charger' is 14VDC, 500mA output. Anything in the neighborhood and it should work. You can charge directly by removing the pack, I don't bother balancing when doing this. Or, if you have charged any time in the past year or so you can just go fly, the battery lasts a looong time. I flew two weekends prior to the NATS, then UNL and F3J. Never even bothered checking the Tx voltage. Unless it's almost dead when you leave the house I can't see a need to field charge.
Craig Greening is online now Find More Posts by Craig Greening
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:11 PM
Multifaceted Heli Nut
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Oct 2004
453 Posts
Balancing is not an option...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Greening View Post
The DX18 'charger' is 14VDC, 500mA output. Anything in the neighborhood and it should work. You can charge directly by removing the pack, I don't bother balancing when doing this. Or, if you have charged any time in the past year or so you can just go fly, the battery lasts a looong time. I flew two weekends prior to the NATS, then UNL and F3J. Never even bothered checking the Tx voltage. Unless it's almost dead when you leave the house I can't see a need to field charge.
Had to add this -- Just took delivery of my DX18 yesterday and did lots of peekin' an' pokin' around the unit. Looked at the 2600mAh LiPo pack and see it only has a two-wire input/output lead. There is no option for balancing or not; balancing is done internally within the battery and happens whether it's wanted or not.

Charging on an external LiPo charger certainly is possible but would be wise to keep the current low (under 1C, maybe use .25C) to give the balance circuitry time to perform its job.

Field charging the TX (containing the battery pack) is super easy as any nominal 12VDC power source (of .5A or better and correct polarity) will do. The TX even has "Charge DC12V" marked on the back down at the battery compartment door.
heli-headcase is offline Find More Posts by heli-headcase
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:20 PM
LSF V aspirant
Joined Oct 2006
2,339 Posts
Does the 18 fit in the Spektrum single TX stand-up case (SPM 6708)?

Tom