HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:21 PM
Joined Jul 2004
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glauco View Post
+1

Glauco

In any case, no original user manual as the JR XG....It is a nightmare.
polar bear is offline Find More Posts by polar bear
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Jul 2002
523 Posts
Hey Johnson, the DX-18 manual here in the US isn't much either but Sherman Knight did a great review and posted a nice sample for a 6 servo sailplane.

I knew the DX-18 would do what I wanted but Sherman's review convinced me it worked and was the reason I got one, thanks Sherman.

Glauco
Glauco is offline Find More Posts by Glauco
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:15 AM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,007 Posts
Glauco!

Welcome to the club!

I'm loving mine. I have been on the slope with it. I've got it all ready for some B practice next weekend, so we'll see how it goes...

But overall I'm very happy with it.

Ok, the only thing I don't like about it...Why you have to shut it off and turn it on while holding the roller button to get to the system menus is beyond me...why couldn't they just make it another menu...

Other than that, its rad...

t
ttraver is offline Find More Posts by ttraver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:21 AM
Germany, BW, Friedrichshafen
Joined Jun 2012
38 Posts
You can press the Back and Clear button together to get to the system menue
Axel_S is offline Find More Posts by Axel_S
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:22 AM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,007 Posts
I thought that was to just get to the model select...
ttraver is offline Find More Posts by ttraver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:36 AM
Germany, BW, Friedrichshafen
Joined Jun 2012
38 Posts
The "workaround" is to select a different model and then switch back to the former one. I do not like it either
Axel_S is offline Find More Posts by Axel_S
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:14 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,488 Posts
does it have features like logical switches?
with ten flight phases you would want features like that.
in flight adjustments?
satinet is online now Find More Posts by satinet
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:50 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,901 Posts
Satinet, not sure exactly what you mean by logical switches, but the way the flght mode table works is that you can have flight modes or phases active with only one switch or a combination of switches. For example, I have my launch mode switch on a two position switch that when active, allows my phase switch to select launch phase A, B, or C. When not in launch mode a different 3 position flight mode switch is primary,and that same phase switch is used to select Fast Distance, Normal Distance, and Slow Distance phases in the Distance or Cruise mode. If I am in speed mode, the phase switch does nothing. (I only have one speed setting/mode), and when Thermal mode is selected, the phase switch is used to select either thermal mode or the Float Phase. So there is a combination of switches that I thought through that make good sense to me that keep the logic clear and the opperation during flight reasonably easy to remember and use.

Does that come close to answering your question? The system of assigning flight modes to switches and switch position is different than normal boolean type logic like "and/or" statements in a switch assinment menu. Its a literal placement of a flight mode to a cursor position on the flight mode table. It really has to be experienced to be appreciated.

Regards,

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:00 AM
Joined May 2011
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by satinet View Post
does it have features like logical switches?
with ten flight phases you would want features like that.
in flight adjustments?
Yes it has !

Every stick/lever/knob can be used as a 3 position switch and you can set the % of the kick point

I'use the throttle stick to switch the flight mode on My F3B/J glider

Throttle full down - launc 2
Throttle half - launch 2
Throttle close - Speed (for the zoom)

Then I use a 3 pos switch for speed/normal/termal
and when in final landing path a 2 pos switch that simply activate the brakes..

You can also program the rudder stick to turn off AIL->Rud mixin when you give the rudder command manualy...

Bye
Giuseppe
mgmodels is offline Find More Posts by mgmodels
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:15 PM
Italy, Emilia-Romagna, San Lazzaro di Savena
Joined Sep 2006
28 Posts
Oh...my god.....

simply..activate the brakes.....
mverardi is offline Find More Posts by mverardi
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:30 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmodels View Post
Yes it has !

Every stick/lever/knob can be used as a 3 position switch and you can set the % of the kick point

I'use the throttle stick to switch the flight mode on My F3B/J glider

Throttle full down - launc 2
Throttle half - launch 2
Throttle close - Speed (for the zoom)

Then I use a 3 pos switch for speed/normal/termal
and when in final landing path a 2 pos switch that simply activate the brakes..

You can also program the rudder stick to turn off AIL->Rud mixin when you give the rudder command manualy...

Bye
Giuseppe

Well Giuseppe, you should at least be credited for thinking outside of the box

That is certainly not the way I would use my FLAP stick

Good luck.

Mike
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:02 PM
Fit to CFIT
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,498 Posts
That's quite the ideal way to do it. How else would you set it up? Let go of the sticks during launch and just pray that the plane can fly itself while you find/fiddle a bunch of switches?
vespa is offline Find More Posts by vespa
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:38 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
That's quite the ideal way to do it. How else would you set it up? Let go of the sticks during launch and just pray that the plane can fly itself while you find/fiddle a bunch of switches?
Hey, to each his own Jeremy. Set it up any way you want. Thats the beauty of the DX18. The imagination is the limiting factor I think. Whats ideal to you won't be ideal to others. My set up is a carry over from over 30 years of RC flying. I have some pretty well established habits, and to me, Giuseppe's set up is way out of my ball park.

Don't kid yourself either. He has to hit a switch when it comes time to land, so figure out what works best for you and have at it.

BTW, did you intend your post to sound so combative? Or am I just reading too much into that last sentence?

M
Last edited by FLY F3B; Jul 31, 2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:08 PM
Fit to CFIT
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,498 Posts
No combat. Certainly most radios don't offer the luxury of mode switching on the stick and thus require you to let go and fiddle for switches at crucial moments. That's just the way it is (was) and there's no judgement to be made. If one can adapt to a new style however, Giuseppe's approach is the most intuitive and effective method available. I use a Futaba 8FG which has this same ability and I set it up the exact same way long ago. It's the only intuitive solution I can imagine so I was surprised to see others so shocked by it.
vespa is offline Find More Posts by vespa
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:22 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
No combat. Certainly most radios don't offer the luxury of mode switching on the stick and thus require you to let go and fiddle for switches at crucial moments. That's just the way it is (was) and there's no judgement to be made. If one can adapt to a new style however, Giuseppe's approach is the most intuitive and effective method available. I use a Futaba 8FG which has this same ability and I set it up the exact same way long ago. It's the only intuitive solution I can imagine so I was surprised to see others so shocked by it.

Certainly most tray radios offer the stick switches, but some like it complicated.
Most intuitive , lol
Cheers
Thomas
wakumann is offline Find More Posts by wakumann
RCG Plus Member