HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:57 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2003
546 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum DX18

Any sailplane pilots out there using the new DX18? Can you give us some feedback?
Hoot is offline Find More Posts by Hoot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Feb 2011
90 Posts
Hey Steve,
Interested in swapping your 12X for a brand new DX18???

I have heard a lot of great things about the DX18, it will be very very hard to beat for the $$$

The first thing I noticed on the DX18 is the gimbal's feel more JR like than Spektrum like.
The programing also looks to be more user friendly + with more mixing options than the 12X.

Cheers,
Thomas
MKSservosUSA.com is offline Find More Posts by MKSservosUSA.com
Site Sponsor
Last edited by MKSservosUSA.com; Jun 12, 2012 at 10:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:21 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,810 Posts
The Spektrum D18 is definitely a quality system that should have a large following. Great efforts were made to ensure that the sailplane program was both comprehensive, and flexible for use with all sailplanes. The radio is reasonably priced, and should offer all the features that one could want to customize his program. Andy and the team at Spektrum have worked hard to bring us this system. I think they have done a great job. LJ
Larry Jolly is online now Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:38 AM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jan 2011
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSservosUSA.com View Post
Hey Steve,
Interested in swapping your 12X for a brand new DX18???

I have heard a lot of great things about the DX18, it will be very very hard to beat for the $$$

The first thing I noticed on the DX18 is the gimbal's feel more JR like than Spektrum like.
The programing also looks to be more user friendly + with more mixing options than the 12X.

Cheers,
Thomas
I love my DX18... It is much more user friendly, especially once you understand the different approach taken to organize the setup process for your different models.

Not to start any false rumors, but I see a number of things about my DX18 that seem to indicate it shares the same manufacturer as the JR radios. Try comparing them to the new DSSS models by JR in terms of what country they are manufactured in, how the gimbals are positioned, how the battery compartment is set up. Hmmmmmm....

I'm not sure if our Spektrum folks would be open to confirming this. Not that it matters, but interesting if this is an indication of the relationship Spektrum is maintaining with JR.

-Randy
Westranm is offline Find More Posts by Westranm
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:05 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,810 Posts
I am pretty sure that JR Radios are made in Japan...........
Larry Jolly is online now Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:10 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,912 Posts
I have some feedback on the DX18. Been using one for quite some time now for DLG, TD/J, and few flights on my B model and most recently on my 1/3 scale DG 800S.

My involvement with the DX18 is as a HH Team Pilot and a beta tester of the software from the European 10t radio (same software as the 18)

My number one goal in a radio is to be able to sit down with it in my hands and decide how best to use the switches, sliders and sticks to control my gliders. I like doing this without regard to the programming options so I at least have an ideal set up going in. (then I cross my fingers and dive into the programming and switch assignments and see what compromises I have to implement)

With the 18, I did just that, and as of today, I still haven't compromised on what I want the radio to do as a pilot. Underneath that is the reason I haven't compromised yet. The programming. It has the capability of 10 separate flight modes, with the option of setting a priority stick or switch that has up to 2 user definable stick switch points that can invoke any of the 10 available flight modes. Lots of details to go into here, but will save that for specific questions.

Also, I am very fond of the fact that if you would like to swap the button location for the switch A location, it is quite easy to take the backs off and access the swiches and do a little de-soldering and re-soldering. Voila, DLG launch momentary button right under you left index finger. The 2600mah Lipo battery doesn't hurt either.

I agree too that the radio feels really, really good in the hands. Smooth precise gimbals. I love the stick positions (both sticks pointed ever so slightly toward the outer edge of the transmitter. Stick spring tensioning is easy to do without removing the back cover(s).

SD card is great for easy model storage....

Just to name a few points.

Cheers.

Mike Smith
Team Horizon Hobby Air
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:27 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
840 Posts
Is it possible to store telemetry data on the SD card?
What is the weight of the transmitter?
Will we start seeing telemetry built in into future receivers without add-on modules? I would like to see receivers for DLG and for F3X models with voltage telemetry as a safety feature built in without having to pay extra in weight, volume and price (as available by other brands). Having lost a model to charger issues once, a built in voltage telemetry is something I would have to have in my next system and receivers and don't plan on buying additional telemetry modules to future receivers.
roydor is offline Find More Posts by roydor
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:49 AM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,101 Posts
I got a chance to fondle one for a while, and in my opinion, the ergonomics on this one is spektrums best yet. It just feels good in your hands.

That and 10 flight modes and I may have to spring for this baby...
ttraver is online now Find More Posts by ttraver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:04 AM
Espaņa, GA, Vigo
Joined Apr 2010
89 Posts
Impressive set of features and nice user friendly programming in this TX. The only little reservation may be the maximum of 7 points in user definable curves, instead of 17 points in another radios, for precise adjustements, IMHO.
jolucapo is online now Find More Posts by jolucapo
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:40 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydor View Post
Is it possible to store telemetry data on the SD card?
What is the weight of the transmitter?
Will we start seeing telemetry built in into future receivers without add-on modules? I would like to see receivers for DLG and for F3X models with voltage telemetry as a safety feature built in without having to pay extra in weight, volume and price (as available by other brands). Having lost a model to charger issues once, a built in voltage telemetry is something I would have to have in my next system and receivers and don't plan on buying additional telemetry modules to future receivers.
948 grams,
Don't know about the built in telemtry stuff, but I do hope they consider that as an essential offering,
Storing telemetry on the card? I don't think that is doable yet. Hoping that it might be an enhancement though. It would be great for many different uses for sure.

Cheers.

Mike
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:56 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
948 grams,
Don't know about the built in telemtry stuff, but I do hope they consider that as an essential offering,
Storing telemetry on the card? I don't think that is doable yet. Hoping that it might be an enhancement though. It would be great for many different uses for sure.

Cheers.

Mike
Thanks Mike,
948 isn't super light (for dlg's) but I guess its fine, and if you say the battery is a 2600mAh LiPo, then I guess a little can be saved if needed. I use an AAA 850 mAh battery in my 9303 and its actually lighter then LiPo (due to the reduced capacity) and I can fly for 4-5 hours with a single charge which is more than enough for my purpose.

I believe that the new Graupner systems have an SD card storing option and so does the new Futaba system. Flying with an altimeter, no need to download from the model with special equipment, only remove the SD card from your system and stick it in a card reader slot at home or in a laptop in the field.
Would be nice to also log reception features and voltage to optimize installations and equipment.

Roy
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:11 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,912 Posts
You are right Roydor, 948 isn't super light, but more important for me is that it is lighter than any of the transmitters I have ever used for DLG. Stylus & 11x. So this is sweet, and the grip is far superior to me than on those other boxes.

The data storage option as you describe and Graupner/Futaba have would be super sweet. The difference may well be the price point for the radios though. I think the DS18 is 800 USD. Do you know how much the G and F radios are that have that capability?

Mike
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:34 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
840 Posts
The Graupner systems I was referring to are the MX-16 and MX-20 and they are much cheaper at 500$ and 650$.
I believe adding data writing to the SD card is just a software issue, since you have the ability to read and write to the SD card anyways (model memory), writing telemetry data to the SD card is just data management by the TX software and should be straight forward

As for the Futaba radio I was referring to, it’s the new 18 channel one so it’s much more expensive then 800$ but I trust other Futaba transmitters will have this feature in the not too far future, maybe an 8FG super with FASSTest integrated into it, that’ll be a winning product.

Roy
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:19 AM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jan 2011
420 Posts
The DX18 stores telemetry data to the SD card.
Westranm is offline Find More Posts by Westranm
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:45 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
840 Posts
That's great, I'm more and more interested in this system as it will allow me to keep my current rx's without having to invest too much in a convertion. Now all I need to wait for is cheep, light, small receivers with integrated telemetry for voltage and reception quality in flight monitoring.