HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:09 PM
Monument, CO
Joined May 2009
180 Posts
Discussion
Storage Charging 1S 3.7V Li-Po Batteries

I recently got 5-packs of the MiniAviation 130, 160 and 190 mAh lipos and their 6-port micro battery charge adapter. I have used an E-flite Celectra 4-port UM lipo charger on my other 1S 3.7V batteries (a mix of Hyperion and E-flite) and haven't worried much about storage charging. Now that winter is (finally) over in Colorado, I found that a couple of my UM batteries won't charge after their winter hibernation. They won't even light up the light on the charger and, frankly, seem to be dead.

Does anyone else storage charge their UM lipos? Now that I have the 6-port adapter, it seems like I should be able to (I have a Thunder AC6 charger that I use to charge and storage charge my 3s 11.1V lipos). Honestly, I'm not even sure how to safely charge the UM lipos using the adapter. I have the Celectra, so that's not a big deal, but the storage charging option is of interest. Any direction would be greatly appreciated...
reflective1 is offline Find More Posts by reflective1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,787 Posts
I have 1S batteries that have been used for 3 or 4 winters so far. I just set my timers so my batteries end around 3.75V after a flight and then I just put them away like that in the spring that until winter returns. I believe that most micro batteries die from being left fully charged and or being run to the LVC again and again and again.
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:25 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,173 Posts
It's the LVC that's the big killer. I have some that are 3 and 4 yrs old that are left fully charged that still work fine.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:48 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
It's the LVC that's the big killer. I have some that are 3 and 4 yrs old that are left fully charged that still work fine.

Gord.
I'll agree with that. Running to LVC I was only getting 30 cycles out of mine at most. I do storage charge mine though. Or as someone said just run ~50% of how long you would normally run and store them there. The difference in life from a 50% vs 60% storage charge I'm sure is extremely minimal.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:53 AM
Monument, CO
Joined May 2009
180 Posts
Okay, so running them for about 50% of a normal flight would put them near a storage charge. I guess that I could even fully charge the batteries and then fly them indoors in my little Blade MCX2 heli for a couple of minutes and then put them away. But there still must be a method of storage charging them using the 6-port micro battery charge adapter. Remember that I'm using the Thunder AC6 charger. Anyone?
reflective1 is offline Find More Posts by reflective1
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:07 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,377 Posts
Not sure what charge adapter you are using, but a Thunder AC6 should storage charge a 1S battery just like it can any other battery. I just use my parallel cable and my iCharger to storage charge mine.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver