HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Jun 2012
8 Posts
Discussion
Can the pz p47 be a trainer?

Hey everyone- I have had a plain ole' radian for about a year now and feel very very comfortable with it. I'm ready to move up to ailerons and have a sim to practice with. Also, I feel pretty comfortable with aileron controls from flying real aircraft. That said, can I make the leap to the p47 or do I need to stop by the t28 first? For the money, cool factor, upgradeability, my proneness to getting bored, etc I really want the p47. But if I'm going to have a 1000 times inc chance of crashing, then I'll wait. I understand it has a left turning tendency from propellor torque, but again I feel like I might could handle all this just from knowing how to handle it when I pilot larger aircraft(larger as in weenie little cessnas). Thanks!
jmillski is offline Find More Posts by jmillski
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:41 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,269 Posts
we like to advice on the safest route t-28.
then again the only way to find out is try lol get video
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big fpv weekend
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:45 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,200 Posts
I thought all the parkzone warbirds were trainers....

EDIT:
It sounds like I don't like PZ Warbirds...but infact I do, there attention is to quality detail and engineering so they will fly right out of the box with no modifications, as that is a big plus. They fly good, and minimal aileron training is required to be successful as there wing loading is very light. Any warbird you can land by just turing off the power and glide is good for newbie's to warbirds. The P-47 flies very similar to the T-28, as they both can float down to land....the only difference is the P-47 being a tail dragger is slightly more of a challenge.
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by LICobra; Jun 12, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:16 PM
It's Not Too Windy...Man Up
USA, CT, Wallingford
Joined Oct 2009
1,458 Posts
The PZ P47 can fly really slowly and I think it will make a great low wing, aileron trainer. I can fly my P47 in tight figure eights at around 1/4 - 1/3 throttle and it just keeps flying. If I intentionally put the P47 into a spin I don't even need to use opposite rudder to correct, just let go of the sticks and it recovers from the spin. To me that's a characteristic of a good, stable trainer.

As for P-Factor don't goose the throttle. Throttle up gradually and apply some rudder to keep it tracking straight.

So go for it but add the retracts at a later time after you've mastered the landings. Skip the T28, you'll be glad that you did.

Anthony
ALL American is offline Find More Posts by ALL American
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:20 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,413 Posts
You have a sim and the radian is a 3ch high wing trainer? Then get the P-47 if you want one. I started with an Art Tech p-51 that is much less forgiving than the P-47. I soon realized I needed a sim and a supercub and after those the 51 was easy. If you crash the P-47 then rebuild it. No problem.
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe