HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:15 PM
United States, MO, St Joseph
Joined Jun 2012
95 Posts
parkguy or find your driver and decal

Hi airbusa800
The pilot is a 1/8 scale williams brothers.
You can find it here
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPZH5&P=M
The decals i drew and made from vector art files i found on line.
I went to http://www.matthiasdolderer.com/eng/downloads.php
I used the photo review race rio pdf file for the MD logos and the side window of the aircraft
Then i found a free vector art logo site for the audi logos.
http://all-free-download.com/free-vector/audi.html
After i sized the files to fit i had the white logos cut from white vinyl and the color ones printed on white vinyl

Just a small note on using the as3x or any gyro device.
There cant be any binding or drag on the control rods. All the controls have to be direct drive since the gyros are making all of those tiny corrections
Cheers
Parkguy
Parkguy is online now Find More Posts by Parkguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:07 AM
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
Could someone please point me in the right direction to get parts for this thing? I can see there are plenty of replacement parts for the Edge 540 v3 Micro on the HK website, but nothing for the v3 800 model. I snapped my prop and am trying to find the correct replacement with those little grooves in it that fit the spinner set. The pics on the website of the different 7x6 props arent clear enough for me to see if it has those grooves.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, im pretty new to this stuff.
cjorgens79 is offline Find More Posts by cjorgens79
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:12 AM
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
Oh i also broke the plastic motor mount as well when it crashed so i need to source a replacement for that too...
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:04 PM
United States, MO, St Joseph
Joined Jun 2012
95 Posts
Here is the replacement prop that hobbyking lists
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=7942

As far as the motor mount you may have to make one or contact hobbyking about maybe getting one

Cheers
Parkguy
Parkguy is online now Find More Posts by Parkguy
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:22 AM
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
Thanks Parkguy, i saw that one on the website and thought that may have been the right one, but thought id ask first, save me possibly waiting a couple weeks for it to arrive only to find its wrong.
Btw, your mods to the plane look great!
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined Nov 2010
49 Posts
I have maidened the plane (Edge) this weekend. However, it did not fly at all, at least it survived the first crash but not the second... total flight time 30s. a stone flies better, or at least more predictable. I have used a 4S 1800 battery from Turnigy, but I think the CG was totally wrong. Or the airplane design. I am not sure if I fix it, probably it's not worth the 30minutes to fix the mount.

My brother had a bit more luck with his Sbach, however, he lost it also in the second flight because the plane was all of a sudden uncontrolable or stalled.
nniibb is offline Find More Posts by nniibb
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:07 AM
My poor poor planes.
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nniibb View Post
I have maidened the plane (Edge) this weekend. However, it did not fly at all, at least it survived the first crash but not the second... total flight time 30s. a stone flies better, or at least more predictable. I have used a 4S 1800 battery from Turnigy, but I think the CG was totally wrong. Or the airplane design. I am not sure if I fix it, probably it's not worth the 30minutes to fix the mount.

My brother had a bit more luck with his Sbach, however, he lost it also in the second flight because the plane was all of a sudden uncontrolable or stalled.
This is what i've been getting at. Its can be flown but its not enjoyable. A true brick of a plane and thats coming from a guy thats been around the block a time or two.
winndaddy is online now Find More Posts by winndaddy
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:45 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,700 Posts
I felt like doing some tinkering, so I got out the vise and a spare X-mount, and carefully bent it to where it fairly closely conforms to that bizarre curved plastic base-mount part on the HobbyKing Edge 800 (why oh WHY did they design it that way? ). It wasn't possible to get it to conform perfectly, because the stock motor's X-mount arm goes further inward to that skinny tube extender, which can't be duplicated on a regular X-mount that snugs up closer to the motor (photo). But hopefully there's no significant thrust-angle difference.

No way to get that fourth mount-screw on though...three will have to do. It's just a really design.

Got her all buttoned up and ready for a remaiden with the 2826/2200 motor. So I'm going to put to the test whether this plane could just as well have been set up to be used with a good 'ol 3S 2200 LiPo or not.

Another irritating note: the screw-hole spacing on the X-mount that came with the HobbyKing 2826 motor did not quite match the screw-hole spacing on this HobbyKing plane (it was "close but no cigar"). To get a perfectly matching X-mount, I had to dig one out of my parts box...and that was an X-mount that came with a motor I got from Hobby-Lobby. Go figure!
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:10 PM
My poor poor planes.
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
Well, mines still in perfect condition and thats the way its gonna stay, in the attic.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:26 AM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,700 Posts
I flew three batteries with 3S LiPo on the new 2826/2200kv motor. My wattmeter measured the power at 280W, using a 6x4 prop. That was midway between what the stock motor/prop pulled on 3S (209W) and what the stock motor/prop pulled on 4S (350W).

The plane wasn't as fast as with the stock motor and 4S, but it was still pretty decent speed (almost as fast as a funfighter on 3S), and the flying was more relaxed, not only because of lower speeds but also due to a little lighter AUW, and not having to worry about so short a flight time (I was using a 2200 mAh battery, and the amp pull was about the same as with the stock config...so more flying time). The plane was flyable down to half throttle. It would still knife edge (at full power), but it took more rudder. The motor came down pretty warm, but not hot...my IR temp gauge showed it at 119 degrees F. So I'm not sure if I want to push it more with a 6x5.5 prop, on a cheap motor like this.

So if anyone gets the kit version of the plane and wants to stick with 3S, and is willing to sacrifice some speed, this motor is a pretty good match.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:15 PM
No mods no glory!
United States, CA, Redwood City
Joined Nov 2010
391 Posts
So my Edge 540 is all ready to go but I'm not 100% on the correct CG, from cruzing this thread I've seen the CG set from 28mm all the way to 45mm.
I will be using a 4S 1800 mAh. Can anyone who has flown a 1800 mAh help me out on the correct CG.
micromantis is offline Find More Posts by micromantis
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:30 PM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,804 Posts
flew mine again on the weekend.. landing gear stayed intact.. it actually is a great little racer..

CofG @ 35mm from leading edge at wing root. Make sure you cut your throws way down on both elevator and aileron.
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:49 PM
No mods no glory!
United States, CA, Redwood City
Joined Nov 2010
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletMaster View Post
flew mine again on the weekend.. landing gear stayed intact.. it actually is a great little racer..

CofG @ 35mm from leading edge at wing root. Make sure you cut your throws way down on both elevator and aileron.
Throws are way down 90/40 I will try 35mm. Do you have travel at 100% or higher?
micromantis is offline Find More Posts by micromantis
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:07 AM
My poor poor planes.
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
Been a little while since any new post. Talk about the hype is dying fast on this one.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 03:55 AM
Joined Nov 2010
49 Posts
An update from my side: another try with lighter battery and reduced travel. It flies better now, still lost it after a unrecoverable stall...
nniibb is offline Find More Posts by nniibb