HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:07 PM
My poor poor planes.
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
Scott, I need some help. I recieved my plane today. The nut on the motor shaft is crooked as if it were miss threaded on but its not. Because of this the spinner and prop are sooo out of wack its not even funny. My question to you is, is there a motor from hobbyking that would be a direct replacement as for as fit (At least as much power if not more)? I want to chunk the stock motor now....
winndaddy is offline Find More Posts by winndaddy
Last edited by winndaddy; Jul 02, 2012 at 06:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:54 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,709 Posts
Sorry to hear that. FWIW, I ordered this motor as a "backup" in the same order with my Edge 540: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12919

Although they don't give the full stats for the Edge 540 stock motor, I figured that a 2826 should be about the same size as a 2831. It's a Kv suitable for 3S not 4S, so I would use it with a 2200 3S LiPo (got plenty of those, like everybody), and they recommend a 7" prop with it (7x4...vs. 7x6 stock prop on Edge 540), so the prop diameter is OK for the plane.

It's currently out of stock, but it's seemingly a popular motor that goes in and out of stock constantly. As you probably know from the "funfighter" thread, people are using it in the funfighter series. Heck, maybe you could even snag the stock motor out of one of your funfighters and try that in your Edge...and in that case, you could still use 4S.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:14 PM
My poor poor planes.
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk1 View Post
Sorry to hear that. FWIW, I ordered this motor as a "backup" in the same order with my Edge 540: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12919

Although they don't give the full stats for the Edge 540 stock motor, I figured that a 2826 should be about the same size as a 2831. It's a Kv suitable for 3S not 4S, so I would use it with a 2200 3S LiPo (got plenty of those, like everybody), and they recommend a 7" prop with it (7x4...vs. 7x6 stock prop on Edge 540), so the prop diameter is OK for the plane.

It's currently out of stock, but it's seemingly a popular motor that goes in and out of stock constantly. As you probably know from the "funfighter" thread, people are using it in the funfighter series. Heck, maybe you could even snag the stock motor out of one of your funfighters and try that in your Edge...and in that case, you could still use 4S.
Thanks for the reply. I would really like something that I could run 4s on. I see the plane comes in a kit as well, so you would assume they might know of a motor to go with. Just looking for some expert advice before I go ahead and order....
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:35 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winndaddy View Post
Scott, I need some help. I recieved my plane today. The nut on the motor shaft is crooked as if it were miss threaded on but its not. Because of this the spinner and prop are sooo out of wack its not even funny. My question to you is, is there a motor from hobbyking that would be a direct replacement as for as fit (At least as much power if not more)? I want to chunk the stock motor now....
Sorry to hear about this, please contact CS and raise a ticket then PM me your details.
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:07 PM
Minneapolis,MN.
Joined Mar 2006
1,079 Posts
Holy smokes!I maidened the Edge,and the Sbach today.They do go like stink,and get small very fast.Scott said they are madder than a box of frogs.That's a good description.I flew both with new 1800 40C Zippy 4s,with an OAT of around 95degrees F.Had my timer set to 5 1/2 minutes.Put around 1100mAh back in.I think I may add just a touch of nose weight to the Sbach.She was very twitchy on the elevator.By the way,Scott advised to keep the throws down,and I did,it helped tame the approach speeds.I also went heavy on the expo with the ailerons.They are still very responsive little birds!!I can't say which one I like best yet,because I have to dial in the CG on the Sbach.What I can say is that I really like the Edge.She grooves very well.I had a variable wind at 8-10 mph and I am glad I did,it helped tame the approach speeds.Although they are stable,as far as the Edge goes,she does come in fast due to the narrow cord and higher wing loading so she will use some runway.I was flying from pavement,and found it best to set up a long glide and keep wings level on final.In other words,I wouldn't recommend a yank and bank from base to final.Fly it like a racer(which it is)and it will settle in to a nice three point,but expect a long roll out.I only had two flights on each,but knife edge is no problem,and nice big loops,and cuban eights track nicely.Nice point rolls and slow rolls look great.These maneuvers I was doing at half throttle.I will be getting more accustomed to how they fly as time goes on,but I felt they were most comfortable flying at 1/2 throttle and above.
I am very pleased with these planes as far as value,ease of assembly,and awesome performance.They are a blast to fly,and will get your adrenaline going for sure!
bouncebk2003 is offline Find More Posts by bouncebk2003
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:43 PM
My poor poor planes.
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncebk2003 View Post
Holy smokes!I maidened the Edge,and the Sbach today.They do go like stink,and get small very fast.Scott said they are madder than a box of frogs.That's a good description.I flew both with new 1800 40C Zippy 4s,with an OAT of around 95degrees F.Had my timer set to 5 1/2 minutes.Put around 1100mAh back in.I think I may add just a touch of nose weight to the Sbach.She was very twitchy on the elevator.By the way,Scott advised to keep the throws down,and I did,it helped tame the approach speeds.I also went heavy on the expo with the ailerons.They are still very responsive little birds!!I can't say which one I like best yet,because I have to dial in the CG on the Sbach.What I can say is that I really like the Edge.She grooves very well.I had a variable wind at 8-10 mph and I am glad I did,it helped tame the approach speeds.Although they are stable,as far as the Edge goes,she does come in fast due to the narrow cord and higher wing loading so she will use some runway.I was flying from pavement,and found it best to set up a long glide and keep wings level on final.In other words,I wouldn't recommend a yank and bank from base to final.Fly it like a racer(which it is)and it will settle in to a nice three point,but expect a long roll out.I only had two flights on each,but knife edge is no problem,and nice big loops,and cuban eights track nicely.Nice point rolls and slow rolls look great.These maneuvers I was doing at half throttle.I will be getting more accustomed to how they fly as time goes on,but I felt they were most comfortable flying at 1/2 throttle and above.
I am very pleased with these planes as far as value,ease of assembly,and awesome performance.They are a blast to fly,and will get your adrenaline going for sure!
Wish mine could be flown....
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:26 PM
Minneapolis,MN.
Joined Mar 2006
1,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winndaddy View Post
Wish mine could be flown....
The nut on my motor was threaded okay,but I too had a heck of a time getting the spinner and prop to run true.One thing I definitely do not like is the hex spinner back plate arrangement.You might try like I did,to loosen and reposition the spinner,holding it as true as you can while you tighten the prop nut.Honestly,it took me probably ten tries,until I finally got an acceptable fit.It's a poor design to depend upon a plastic spinner to give you a true back plate.Especially at the RPM these motors are capable of.They need a real prop adapter set up.Just keep trying,you may get lucky.Hope this helps you.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Nov 2010
50 Posts
I have finally received my Edge today, put it together in 15 minutes, put a Turnigy 1800mAh 40C 4S in... and it is extremely Nose heavy. I would need at least around 10g of additional weight in the back.
Are these batteries just to heavy (230g)?, there are ~20g lighter ones around.

Where is your CG?
nniibb is offline Find More Posts by nniibb
Last edited by nniibb; Jul 04, 2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:02 PM
My poor poor planes.
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
Fixed mine with a larger nut. Just had to enlarge the spinner where the nut fits in. As for as CG is concerned, I have yet to get to it. I really wish there was a way to move the battery forwards and backwards. Its tight!
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:46 PM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
Joined Mar 2007
2,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nniibb View Post
I have finally received my Edge today, put it together in 15 minutes, put a Turnigy 1800mAh 40C 4S in... and it is extremely Nose heavy. I would need at least around 10g of additional weight in the back.

Where is your CG?
I would not have thought the 40c pack would be a problem in all honesty, it flies on a 2200 4s, although not anything like as well as an 1800, I use 30c packs and it balances perfectly with them pushed all the way up front.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:16 PM
My poor poor planes.
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing View Post
I would not have thought the 40c pack would be a problem in all honesty, it flies on a 2200 4s, although not anything like as well as an 1800, I use 30c packs and it balances perfectly with them pushed all the way up front.
Hey Scott, what % on the Expo's would you recommend? I use a Spectrum DX6i.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:52 PM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
Joined Mar 2007
2,611 Posts
I fly at 40% Expo on these little rascals, keep throws sensible, around 6mm on elevator (put a little more in on dual rates for the maiden, just in case you are nose heavy), as for the aileron's, the roll rate you see on the V3 in the vid is at only 50% throws!! So, again, for the maiden, dial it down and set up some dual rates until you are used to it and get it trimmed.....then just set it up to suit yourself.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:40 AM
Minneapolis,MN.
Joined Mar 2006
1,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nniibb View Post

Where is your CG?
I am not sure what my Zippies weigh,but I do know that my CG is in front of the recommended CG.In fact I was a bit concerned as it was in front of the carbon spar.I'll try to give you more specific info tomorrow.If I had to guess,I would say my CG is 18% mean aerodynamic cord.In short.yes mine is nose heavy,but it flies awesome.And,I have no trouble in the flair for landing.I'll stress again though guys,these are not typical park flyers.Don't expect to fly these from a ball diamond.You might be able to pull it off,but I don't think you would be comfortable doing it.Don't take this as a negative...these planes are an absolute blast to fly!!!!
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:17 AM
My poor poor planes.
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing View Post
I fly at 40% Expo on these little rascals, keep throws sensible, around 6mm on elevator (put a little more in on dual rates for the maiden, just in case you are nose heavy), as for the aileron's, the roll rate you see on the V3 in the vid is at only 50% throws!! So, again, for the maiden, dial it down and set up some dual rates until you are used to it and get it trimmed.....then just set it up to suit yourself.
Cool, thanks....
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:56 AM
Joined Nov 2010
50 Posts
I don't have good experience with maiden with wrong CG :-( currently it is at around 30mm (about 10mm in front of carbon spar), recommended is 40-45mm.
nniibb is offline Find More Posts by nniibb