Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 06, 2013, 02:48 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,318 Posts
For anyone interested ......... my standard stock motor shaft is 4mm x 49mm long ... and I have ordered 55mm and 61mm replacements from RCTimer ...

This should allow for greater shaft length to fit spinners etc. of choice - I can even thread-cut the extra part for fitting of the stock spinner .......

Once items arrive home and myself as well !! I will post up about various mods / replacements I have devised.

Nigel

PS - very quiet on here ... everyone must be out flying their 540's ?
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:53 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,875 Posts
Had a couple of flights again yesterday and tried some slow speed handling. The stall in level flight happens at a reasonably low speed and results in either wing dropping without warning. Low speed turns can be made slowly as long as they're relatively flat and open and to date I haven't had any issues slowing the Edge down enough for decent landings (and the U/C is still intact), but then our strip is closely mown grass.
One other thing I've noticed is that if the Edge is snap rolled into an upright spin, it doesn't want to recover unaided, in other words plenty of height is required to recover from this type of manoeuvre!
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:58 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,960 Posts
I flew mine last weekend with great results! I have mastered the landings now and it is a joy to fly now! I will do my best to get a video of it flying this weekend... It screams on high speed passes but is still easy to fly slowly as well. Not to mention very aerobatic! Gonna explore that a little more this weekend....
gooniac33 is online now Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:51 PM
Croatia, Osijek-Baranja County, Valpovo
Joined Jul 2011
386 Posts
Maiden today sbach 342
Expected problems but it flys nice

H-king High Performance Racer Series - Sbach 342 800mm (PNF) maiden (5 min 14 sec)
srepfler is offline Find More Posts by srepfler
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:04 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,318 Posts
Hi srepfler .....

Nice flyer and compliments to the Launcher ... about time we had some 'glamour' in this !

But I couldn't watch more than a minurte of the video - please get rid of the fishbowl lens on the camera !

Nigel
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:47 AM
Joined Jul 2011
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Hi srepfler .....

Nice flyer and compliments to the Launcher ... about time we had some 'glamour' in this !

But I couldn't watch more than a minurte of the video - please get rid of the fishbowl lens on the camera !

Nigel
Thanks.

Its gopro on my head, no cameraman.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:18 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srepfler View Post
Thanks.

Its gopro on my head, no cameraman.
I've seen plenty of GoPro vids and various but never seen it 'Fishbowl' like yours.

I have various cameras I use .... here in order of best quality first :

1. Sony 8mm handycam. This of course uses tape, but has better zoom and image resolution. I then transfer recording to a DVD recorder ... re-format to WMV for Movie Maker ... edit etc. for Youtube.

2. 12MPixel handy Digi-cam - excellent picture but screen is hard to see in sunny conditions so it's only used on dull days.

3. Helmet camera - based on the same gear as a Keychain camera but in a larger body with stretch head band for fitting to cycle helmets etc. Has LED aiming light on it. Limited field of view though ...

4. Keychain camera - I use this in 2 ways ... i) I can fix to model and have in-flight movies or ii) I attach to peak of my baseball cap by velcro and film from Pilots point of view.

My most used is 4 ... as it's light, vid quality is good enough ... I actually have 3 of them for various ...

I do have another digital camera ... the larger rectangular opne that has a pivoting holder ... but to be honest - was a waste of money as the Keychain job is far easier to mount and use.

For processing vids ... I use FREEMAKE VIDEO CONVERTER ... a free to download utility that just about covers all video / sound formats to convert to any other. It will join together vids as well.
Once in suitable format - I then just use Windows Movie Maker to add titles and credits etc. I do have more sophisticated editing programs - but most are harder to use and at end of day ... these are only hobby vids !!

Here's a photo showing my helmet cam in use :

Nigel
Old Mar 17, 2013, 04:30 AM
Joined Jul 2011
386 Posts
On cold wind, maybe too much wind.

Sbach 342 on cold wind (5 min 44 sec)
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:34 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,960 Posts
Flew mine this weekend. I have finally gotten to where I can do a slow take off instead of just punching the throttle and holding on! LOL So much fun to fly and it just seems to get better with each flight. If I had more batteries I would fly it more often! Maybe I need to work on that...LOL
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:50 AM
Joined Jul 2011
386 Posts
Flying slow

H-king High Performance Racer Series - Sbach 342 800mm (PNF) nice & slow (3 min 57 sec)
Old Mar 27, 2013, 07:25 AM
Joined Jul 2012
35 Posts
just quickly, what are the chances that one of these would fly well on a 2200 3S? have so many of those battery packs laying around. just curious
Chlewi is offline Find More Posts by Chlewi
Last edited by Chlewi; Mar 27, 2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 09:37 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlewi View Post
just quickly, what are the chances that one of these would fly well on a 2200 3S? have so many of those battery packs laying around. just curious
My first few flights were on the 3s 55c 2200mah Gens Ace pack but with a slightly upgraded 1950kv motor. It flew great and I think that it would be ok with the smaller stock motor as well. The batteries weight about the same... but you may want to consider using a slightly larger prop as well. An 8x5 or 8x6 would do great with that kv motor on 3s.

Got a few pix of the plane this weekend. Tried taking off and landing from a different spot and it went great! You can't really see all the trees around but they are there to grab you if you aren't careful!!

Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:15 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlewi View Post
It flies beautifully on a 3S 2200 ... in fact it's about ideal as a fast sport machine on the 3S ... I maidened my 540 Edge on a 3S which usually powers my 450 Heli with Stock motor, ESC etc.

HK Racer Edge 540 success 25-11-12 (0 min 0 sec)

Do not increase Prop size - stay with the spec 7x6 ... its really nice on it and as you see - she's still quick. If you go for an 8" - you will increase torque effects and being a small critical wing - could lead to interesting behaviour !

Swapping up to 4S .... to be honest, didn't make a big difference ....

The biggest points to note :

a) 5mm each way on elevators ... any more than that and you will have the maddest kangaroo ride ever !
b) 5mm each way on ailerons is fine but you can up a bit to maybe 8mm for a bit more fun.
c) GET THOSE ELEVATORS levelled out to stab correctly ... eyeball is not good enough.
d) DO NOT add weight... slide your Lipo all way to front and use some foam sponge to retain it there.

Enjoy !

Nigel
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:53 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
It flies beautifully on a 3S 2200 ... in fact it's about ideal as a fast sport machine on the 3S ... I maidened my 540 Edge on a 3S which usually powers my 450 Heli with Stock motor, ESC etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrO_v1cI7rU

Do not increase Prop size - stay with the spec 7x6 ... its really nice on it and as you see - she's still quick. If you go for an 8" - you will increase torque effects and being a small critical wing - could lead to interesting behaviour !

Swapping up to 4S .... to be honest, didn't make a big difference ....

The biggest points to note :

a) 5mm each way on elevators ... any more than that and you will have the maddest kangaroo ride ever !
b) 5mm each way on ailerons is fine but you can up a bit to maybe 8mm for a bit more fun.
c) GET THOSE ELEVATORS levelled out to stab correctly ... eyeball is not good enough.
d) DO NOT add weight... slide your Lipo all way to front and use some foam sponge to retain it there.

Enjoy !

Nigel
You only see torque effects the way that you are referring to if you jam the throttle forward and don't control the tail when it is on the ground. Using a larger prop will make it easier to control on the ground and require less throttle to get into the air. And for this reason alone I am going to put on an 8X6 just to prove my point. I too used to just jam the throttle forward and hope it didn't hit anything before it took off kinda like you did in this video. But these past couple weekends I have been taking off at less than half throttle with no torquing at all. A bigger prop would require even less throttle to get airborne which means that the torque is not an issue. Also cutting the rudder throws and adding a lot of expo helped as well. I have dialed this little bugger in!! You will see.....
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:43 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
You only see torque effects the way that you are referring to if you jam the throttle forward and don't control the tail when it is on the ground. Using a larger prop will make it easier to control on the ground and require less throttle to get into the air. And for this reason alone I am going to put on an 8X6 just to prove my point. I too used to just jam the throttle forward and hope it didn't hit anything before it took off kinda like you did in this video. But these past couple weekends I have been taking off at less than half throttle with no torquing at all. A bigger prop would require even less throttle to get airborne which means that the torque is not an issue. Also cutting the rudder throws and adding a lot of expo helped as well. I have dialed this little bugger in!! You will see.....
I agree that I jammed the throttle open and have a terrible habit of it !! But it's more than just ground handling.
Increasing diameter - increases the 'flywheel' effect ion ALL aspects of flight, needing aileron trim to correct. It's the old rule : For each action is an equal and opposite reaction.

There's no need to up the prop when using 3S .. as you see in the flight vid above. And in fact for anyone new to this model - I would advise 3S on stock to make it more amenable to maiden.

You can go ahead and trial an 8x6 .. fine .. but won't change my opinion. There is a difference between you and someone about to buy one of these - you've dialled yours in .. got used to it ... learnt to manage it's character. You can now play around with it ... knowing what she does.

Honestly - 3S is fine on stock. The machine is overpowered anyway ...

Nigel