Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:49 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan4169 View Post
Yeah, I used the 1300 3s was because I wanted to keep the CG as per the manual, but also paying attention to the concerns of others. I figured that the worst case would be tail heavy AND heavy! I will be using appropriate sized batteries from here on out.
I think you were very lucky to get away with it ...

Once you get this little baby dialed in - she's a beaut to fly ...

I'm just having trouble at moment programming out the DOWN going flap part of my mix. I can get ailerons to act as spoilerins but only in flap mode - means I have both UP and DOWN positions and rotary knob needs centre for zero. Trying to get it so I only have the UP ... I'm not the best when it comes to program mixes !! The 9x is well capable of it - its me that's lacking !!

It was lucky that I started on this ... the BMW meeting where the wing was pulled out broke the servo plug and when I went to check for removing the Y lead - found it only just connected ... Cut it off ... extended lead with new plug - now have aileron servos plugged separately to let me program the spoiler bit.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:28 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
Solved it now ... but broke a clevis while adjusting !! Replaced with metal pin version.

Needs Airbrake + AirDiff together ... now I have about 8mm UP spoilers but still my usual aileron travel.

I may be trying her out tmrw as I'm going flying ... just a little worried about flicking that switch ... haven't managed to get it working on the rotary without flaps down as well.

Nigel
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:38 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I think you were very lucky to get away with it ...

Once you get this little baby dialed in - she's a beaut to fly ...

I'm just having trouble at moment programming out the DOWN going flap part of my mix. I can get ailerons to act as spoilerins but only in flap mode - means I have both UP and DOWN positions and rotary knob needs centre for zero. Trying to get it so I only have the UP ... I'm not the best when it comes to program mixes !! The 9x is well capable of it - its me that's lacking !!

It was lucky that I started on this ... the BMW meeting where the wing was pulled out broke the servo plug and when I went to check for removing the Y lead - found it only just connected ... Cut it off ... extended lead with new plug - now have aileron servos plugged separately to let me program the spoiler bit.

Nigel
Best of luck with the programming.... I have heard a lot about the 9x and it all has been good! Just need to know how to program. As it is now I only have 2 switches to flip. One for the timer and one for spoilerons. Oh and the on off switch too...LOL Either way I am happy with how it is now and you too will get there soon! It just takes lots of fiddling to get it right... I am very comfy with mine now! need to copy the settings and share them as well...
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:42 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
The 9x has a 3 position switch that is primarily there for Normal, Idle Up1, Idle Up2 ... Helicopters ... but in Aero mode is often used for flaps / spoilers.

I prefer a proportional control via one of the rotary knobs. But then I get Up and Down flaps ... Haven't figured out how to get rid of the down part !!

I have now got the 3 position switch to work ... giving me zero and about 25 - 30degree UP spoilers ... but its instant on ... so I better test this carefully at height !!

Broke the ******* clevis though on one aileron ... when adjusting ...... So I thought - OK .. I will change rods to my preferred screw type ... UGH !! Never noticed before the glued on covers to servo arms ...
So I fitted a salvaged clevis from a crashed model ... and will cut the protectors of later and change rods to another system ...

Why is it near impossible to find anyone selling these small clevis ? There must be a factory producing them ... so why not available retail for us to buy over counter ? (No good telling me about USA sellers ... I live in Latvia ...)

Years ago - all motor mounts, tanks, clevis, horns etc. in kits were same as over counter ... so we never had problem replacing broken.

Nigel
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:53 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,988 Posts
Some pix of my motor mount. I was able to get the plane in the air over the weekend and then again today.. Thanks to a person that was drawn to flying their Pop Wing in my way while on final approach, I just barely missed the path and flipped the plane landing. Broke the prop and sorta kinda tweaked the mount a little. I was able to fix it pretty quickly. And snap a couple shots....

Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:39 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,881 Posts
At last, a use for all those unwanted APC prop sizing rings!
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:44 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
I always keep they because they make great standoffs!! My box is full of them!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:46 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
Been using them for ages !! The other is the blue cup washers from 450 Helis screws ... for finer offset !

But today smashed my 540 badly .... my own fault ....

a) Reckon that when I separated the aileron servos to be able to do Spoilerons - I might have introduced a tiny trim offset ...
b) Took of too sharply pitched up ... and TOO fast !

I was so intent of wanting to fly her again - I rushed it and she bit back !

Video will be posted once I process it ..

The ground is frozen and rock hard so she smashed .... I will have a look at what I can do .... I'm famous for not giving up on a frame ... Motor shaft is snapped and I believe the motor used is not able to be dismantled for new shaft etc.

Nigel
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:56 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
been using them for ages !! The other is the blue cup washers from 450 helis screws ... For finer offset !

But today smashed my 540 badly .... My own fault ....

A) reckon that when i separated the aileron servos to be able to do spoilerons - i might have introduced a tiny trim offset ...
B) took of too sharply pitched up ... And too fast !

I was so intent of wanting to fly her again - i rushed it and she bit back !

Video will be posted once i process it ..

The ground is frozen and rock hard so she smashed .... I will have a look at what i can do .... I'm famous for not giving up on a frame ... Motor shaft is snapped and i believe the motor used is not able to be dismantled for new shaft etc.

Nigel
ouch!!!! Agh!!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:43 AM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
From the picture it looks like you might have the aileron linkages attached to different holes in the control horns, relative to each other. That could show as a trim offset, it definitely would if spoilerons were deployed at any time.
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:08 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan4169 View Post
From the picture it looks like you might have the aileron linkages attached to different holes in the control horns, relative to each other. That could show as a trim offset, it definitely would if spoilerons were deployed at any time.
No it's basically the ailerons are sitting at different angles - making the horn part hidden on one ...

I think that I took of too fast and with possible out of trim from working on the ailerons / spolierons ... she pitched up and to the right ... flipped in hard.

If I'd taken of at a lower throttle setting - I probably could have survived and got her sorted ... too late now though !!

I'm annoyed about the motor ... shaft has sheered ... and as I understand from another post - the motor cannot be dissasembled. Will be looking over it all tomorrow. Fuselage is repairable while waiting for new from HK

Nigel
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:18 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
Well .... took motor of ... 4mm shaft from a burnt out EDF motor fitted to Edge motor ... so things look OK.

Only difference is there's no thread on the shaft to fit spinner / standard gear. So its now with collet adaptor and alloy cone nut. Looks quite good actually.

Worst damage was the smashed cowling ... but I'd already bought a new spare ...

I repaired fuselage .. refitted undercarraige ... basically it was about 2hrs work ...

Had trouble with motor mount - my ply DIY had split around a bolt - so I decided to fit one of my new spare plastic stock ones ... I know silly but I have !! I altered thrust line by adding a spacer ... job done.

Photos below :

Nigel
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:39 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
OK -motor mount ...the dreaded plastic affair !!

Having snapped the original shaft and fitted a new from another motor - I found it had no threaded part for the original spinner etc. It needed a standard collet adaptor on the plain shaft ....

Today walking past the model sitting there - I noticed an old spinner laying on the bench ... a standard spinner with larger shaft hole matching standard adaptors. But if I fit it - there will be a massive gap between cowl and spinner backplate.
Silly me ... another item by side is a piece of laminate floor ... (Why use plywood when cheap thin floor laminate (parquee) is fine ... ). So solution is to remove the factory plastic mount. Cut out a plate in laminate ... screw to firewall ... bolt the motor to that ... moving it back enough to bring spinner close to cowl. If you use the original plastic screw points - you should have near enough the right thrust lines.
It's a much better solution than the factory set-up ... allows use of standard shafts (4mm) ... shaft adaptors ... spinners ..... etc. with no chance of motor breaking out at slightest touch as with the plastic mount !

Here's the work done ....

With cone nut you can see the big gap :

Cowl away .. mount off ...

Hole saw to cut new plate :

Match up old mount for holes :

Second smaller hole saw to cut cooling slot and clear back of motor :

Bolt up to firewall for test fit :

Fit motor for thrust lines :

Adjust thrust lines ....

Check spinner and cowl clearance :

The prop adaptor used here is a touch short as the prop - TGSport are thick boss and only 3 threads clear for nut ... APC is slightly less thick boss and would fit better .... until I get my APC or a slightly longer adaptor ... I will go back to the Cone nut ... which now is much better closer to cowl than at start ...

TBH - I think it looks good with the coone nut and also a lot more air can get to motor for cooling .... but a spinner will be fitted later ...

Nigel
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:38 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,988 Posts
Good stuff Nigel!! Love it! It will be way stronger than the mount that came with the plane!
Old Mar 01, 2013, 06:16 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
And she still balances well .....

Nigel