Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:00 AM
Registered User
gooniac33's Avatar
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Yippee !! Finally going home ... wife says there's loads of snow at home - but weather forecast for next weekend is gentle breeze / near calm ... so snow or what - I'm going flying !!

Spoilerons here I come !!

Nigel
Glad to hear it!! I flew mine this weekend and had to make an emergency landing since I flew too hard to long... but made the best landing I have ever made and with battery almost dead!! The spoilerons helped big time!! I almost stalled it on base leg but when I flipped the switch everything mellowed out and it came in perfect!!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:02 AM
Registered User
Italy, Sicily, Palermo
Joined Sep 2006
866 Posts
Well....Let me tell you i love this little plane....Very easy to put together...good looking plane....I was a bit scarried even if i'm an experienced pilot to maiden it....Read about some reviews of it that describe difficulties on balancing it..... Mine was almost perfectly balanced only two clicks down elevator and one click right aileron... I use a 1800 4s 35c NANOTECH.....Not a speed demon as many says ...good speed but nothing terrific....( myself want more speed than stock offer ) but an enjoyable little plane to have fun with. Also...landings are fast yes but not so fast...as many says and even with no motor on landings it is an axceptable glider....I reccomend only very little trought and 60-80pcnt of expo on all axes. NOT A BEGINNER PLANE BUT INTERMEDIATE. GREAT PLANE...I THOUGHT IT WAS FASTER...BUT GREAT PLANE !
FedericoA is offline Find More Posts by FedericoA
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:09 AM
Registered User
gooniac33's Avatar
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedericoA View Post
Well....Let me tell you i love this little plane....Very easy to put together...good looking plane....I was a bit scarried even if i'm an experienced pilot to maiden it....Read about some reviews of it that describe difficulties on balancing it..... Mine was almost perfectly balanced only two clicks down elevator and one click right aileron... I use a 1800 4s 35c NANOTECH.....Not a speed demon as many says ...good speed but nothing terrific....( myself want more speed than stock offer ) but an enjoyable little plane to have fun with. Also...landings are fast yes but not so fast...as many says and even with no motor on landings it is an axceptable glider....I reccomend only very little trought and 60-80pcnt of expo on all axes. NOT A BEGINNER PLANE BUT INTERMEDIATE. GREAT PLANE...I THOUGHT IT WAS FASTER...BUT GREAT PLANE !
Upgrade the motor and things get fun really quickly! I am using a 1950kv 2215 sized Rocket motor and it is a different plane!!! it flies great on 3s 2200mah pack and will fly the same as stock on the 4s pack. But when you add the 4s 1800mah pack things change and for the better!!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:25 AM
Registered User
Italy, Sicily, Palermo
Joined Sep 2006
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
Upgrade the motor and things get fun really quickly! I am using a 1950kv 2215 sized Rocket motor and it is a different plane!!! it flies great on 3s 2200mah pack and will fly the same as stock on the 4s pack. But when you add the 4s 1800mah pack things change and for the better!!
Where didi you get this motor ?
FedericoA is offline Find More Posts by FedericoA
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:25 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,325 Posts
So far - I want to master this little baby ... get her landing where I want .. as I want ...

Once I get that - i will then look at how to get this baby up in the speed arena. First thoughts are higher kv ... maybe a 2000 ? Maybe look at modified props with greater pitch ?

Lets say we fit a 2000kv, decent size that can spin up the prop well, 4S pack, cut back 7" pitch prop ? .... what could we get out of her ?

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:21 AM
Registered User
gooniac33's Avatar
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedericoA View Post
Where didi you get this motor ?
this is the motor that I used...

http://www.hobbypartz.com/86ma07-2215-1950kv.html
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:11 AM
Registered User
Italy, Sicily, Palermo
Joined Sep 2006
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
this is the motor that I used...

http://www.hobbypartz.com/86ma07-2215-1950kv.html
A great motor but it is in USA and the ask me 25 usd for shipping...too much ...the motor cost is 16 usd......
FedericoA is offline Find More Posts by FedericoA
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:18 AM
Registered User
gooniac33's Avatar
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedericoA View Post
A great motor but it is in USA and the ask me 25 usd for shipping...too much ...the motor cost is 16 usd......
Take a look at Hobby King and I am sure that they will have one similar in a warehouse somewhere near you...
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:55 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
Take a look at Hobby King and I am sure that they will have one similar in a warehouse somewhere near you...
I've been looking at HK and RCtimer as well as other sites ... having hard time finding one suitable. As soon as you approach 2000kv - the prop size drops away into the 6" ranges ... if you go up in motor size to get the power - the KV reduces !! Go to a heli motor and you are way over in kv ... meaning heavy motor .. small prop !

Dang !!

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:20 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,325 Posts
Just rec'd my flight details !! Arrive home tmrw evening ... YIPPEE ..

BUT at home they have -10C and snow again ... so flying is subject to weather again !!

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:42 PM
Registered User
gooniac33's Avatar
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I've been looking at HK and RCtimer as well as other sites ... having hard time finding one suitable. As soon as you approach 2000kv - the prop size drops away into the 6" ranges ... if you go up in motor size to get the power - the KV reduces !! Go to a heli motor and you are way over in kv ... meaning heavy motor .. small prop !

Dang !!

Nigel
You don't always follow directions do you? You may be hurting some of the motor efficiency by using props out of their range...but if the motor doesn't burn up under the load I just use it anyway...LOL The motor that I am using in mine is not meant to even run on 4s but i am doing it anyway...and also the prop is way over what they recommend as well!! it can be done...you just need to order a couple motors just in case you fry one while trying new things...
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:12 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
You don't always follow directions do you? You may be hurting some of the motor efficiency by using props out of their range...but if the motor doesn't burn up under the load I just use it anyway...LOL The motor that I am using in mine is not meant to even run on 4s but i am doing it anyway...and also the prop is way over what they recommend as well!! it can be done...you just need to order a couple motors just in case you fry one while trying new things...
Blimey - no way do I live by specs !! You only have to follow my EDF / Pusher prop postings and you know I push motors way past their limits.

But here I would like to have a motor comfortably handling the extra so I can enjoy all forms of flying it should be capable of. I have my pushers and EDF's running short times due to power demands ... great for speed for that's it. Here I want to explore the character ...

So I use the specs to indicate a good choice ... but none so far seem to sit in the near comfortable zone .... note I say near ...

Cheers
Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:39 AM
Joined Nov 2011
935 Posts
I maidened my Edge 540 racer today. I had a steady 15 mph wind directly in line with the runway, perfect for what I wanted to do! I used a 1300 mAh 3s, so it was relatively light, and the CG was at 40 mm. I also set up spoilerons at 7%, 50% and 70%. The 7% was because both ailerons were lower than the rest of the wing, so I just trimmed them to level that way for now. D/Rs at A= 60, 80, 100 E= 50, 75, 100 R= 70, 85, 100 Expo at 35% across the board.

I set all rates to low and spoilerons to 50% and did some ROG testing. It had a tendency to turn to the right due to the tail wheel being eschew to the rudder, but otherwise it was smooth. I figured that the wheel issue might come in handy if there is a strong left tendency on take off as is usually the case with this type of plane, so I left it alone. I then eased the throttle up to about half and held just a little up elevator. The spoilerons kept it "sticky" until it rotated, and it gently took off. I let it gain a little altitude and started a gentle 180 degree turn to down wind. At this point I started to wonder what all the fuss was about. It was also at this point that I started finding out what all the fuss was about. It started climbing, so I switched spoilerons to normal, and began trimming the elevator... A LOT. As many of you know the CG at 40 mm is less than optimal! I like an aft CG as much as anyone but that is not even close. I sorted it out and got the elevator set to the point that it was flyable, but not enjoyable. I am so glad that I read this thread all the way through. I had some warning that this might be the case, which is why I started at 40 instead of 45 mm. Anyway, I started working on approaches pretty quickly. I still wasn't thrilled with the pitch stability, and the bad thing about the wind was going to be turbulence close to the ground, so I decided to land it on the grass runway. It touched down pretty gently at a ground speed at about walking speed (about 3 mph maybe?). Then I got to witness first hand another complaint, the landing gear came off! Nothing broke, our even got scuffed up though.
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Last edited by Logan4169; Feb 22, 2013 at 01:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:28 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,325 Posts
Quote:
At this point I started to wonder what all the fuss was about. It was also at this point that I started finding out what all the fuss was about.....
Forgive me for smiling !! As you have now found out - this baby is sensitive !!

My advice though - get rid of the 1300 3S ... that's far too light ... if you fit a 2200 3S or a 1600 - 1800 4S in there - believe me ... it's spot on with no need for any pratting about with CoG as some have done in early posts ...

I've just rec'd 1800 4S Compacts and they are best fit .. you can connect, havbe lead coming out of front of pack along side ... slide her in to the slot as far fwd as she goes ... sits nicely back against the wing spar. Small bit of sponge either side to hold central ... away yer go !!

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:21 AM
Joined Nov 2011
935 Posts
Yeah, I used the 1300 3s was because I wanted to keep the CG as per the manual, but also paying attention to the concerns of others. I figured that the worst case would be tail heavy AND heavy! I will be using appropriate sized batteries from here on out.
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Hobby King High Performance Racer Series - 800mm nniibb 3D Foamies 6 Nov 11, 2012 01:46 PM
New Product HobbyKing - Mini Racers Edge 540 V3 & Sbach Mikemynameis Parkflyers 13 Jun 24, 2012 10:55 PM
Sold (NIB) Durafly Edge 540 V3 Micro 3D 490mm (PNF) luvmykids2 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Mar 20, 2012 01:37 PM
Sold Greatplanes Edge 540 EP performance series Rx-Ready lpu Chopper1 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Nov 11, 2011 12:32 AM
New Product HobbyKing Mini Racers Edge 540 V3 & Sbach... micromantis Foamies (Kits) 6 Oct 31, 2011 02:25 PM