HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:23 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Sorry can you detail a bit more on that ... I assume you mean the screw jobs that connect to the servo arms ?

Nigel
Hi Nigel

Yes the screw that locks the two elev rods down together. I pulled back coming out of the dive and the rods moved through the mount, so as soon as I release the ELEV the change in position put the ELEV in a full down position. It was still like it when I collected the bits out of the mud. Unlucky I guess, but I've had some real fun with this aircraft so I hope to repair again.

Mick

ps- Interesting day at the field actually for mechanical failures. My HK450 heli did a bearing not long after take off, but landed safely. My Sbach 1400mm had a rudder servo fail into jitters, but I stabilized her and got it down. I got two flights in with my Goshawk and one with a Yak55, but my luck ran out with the Edge540, hmm, lawn dart
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:38 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
After pulling apart my aircraft I have to revise my previous suspected cause of crash. The rods still look solid. The timber servo mounting plywood moves about and the ELEV and RUD surfaces with it, but that may have released on impact. So its hard to say for sure. Anyway repairs are under way
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:24 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,460 Posts
Like many crashes ... I think we all assume what happened ... but possibly another reason can be ...

Pretty difficult to diagnose just from what happens at the time.

Like my Gasoline Biplane ... at time I assumeed and say on Youtube vid that I went wrong way when inverted .... but later watching vid and the gear ........ turns out elevator servo failed.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:46 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,058 Posts
Had another great weekend with the Edge again! 2 flights with great landings! I have some pix of my spoileron set up and a couple pix of my landings too. But here are the spoilerons first...

Normal flight

Spoilerons in use

It doesn't seem like much but it makes a huge difference in landing speed!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:11 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,058 Posts
Here are the higher quality shots that my wife took...

low slow pass

Spoilerons up and ready for landing.

less than a second from touchdown

Spoilerons up

the path that I land on is pretty narrow. you can see it here.

there are benches and trees to avoid as well. and the occasional squirrel too
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:15 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Nice pics Gooniac, and your Edge is still in great shape compared to mine which has copped a beating.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:24 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
Nice pics Gooniac, and your Edge is still in great shape compared to mine which has copped a beating.
Have to agree ... great ;pics Gooniac ... and you STILL have the wheels on !!

The real beauty of the pics is to see the amount of UP aileron you use ... more of a wing incidence changer than spoiler ...

Have you thought about increasing the UP angle ? It's certainly making me think more on your line than my flaps ...

Once I get home ... have to try it out ...

Nigel
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:21 AM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
Quote:
The real beauty of the pics is to see the amount of UP aileron you use ... more of a wing incidence changer than spoiler ...
Ahh yes, "spoilerons" by any other name would be just as sweet, but a lot easier to talk about for planes that are not gliders!
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:23 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan4169 View Post
Ahh yes, "spoilerons" by any other name would be just as sweet, but a lot easier to talk about for planes that are not gliders!
Simply put... spoilerons are ailerons that are moved up on landing. And flaperons are used in the down position. It helps slow it down and in the pix you can see that the plane is in the correct attitude for landing...Flaperons will make the plane nose over...you don't want that....
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:00 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
Flaperons will make the plane nose over.
How come? My slope gliders pitch up with deployment of flapperon and need down elevator mixing in.
Ben D Wing is online now Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:32 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
How come? My slope gliders pitch up with deployment of flapperon and need down elevator mixing in.
Because they are slope gliders... I am going off of my own experience and what has worked for me. A mid wing tail dragger will go into a nose down attitude with flaperons. I would rather the plane land the way that is sits on its gear. So the spoilerons work best for me. If it had trike gear then the flaperons would work better for me. I should do a couple approaches for the camera and show the attitude that the plane is in with no spoilerons and then a shot with them up. It makes a big difference and the plane will do a three point landing with the spoilerons....it lands on the mains with out them and then rolls much further...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:56 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,460 Posts
I have various models with flaps / flaperons and all display the typical nose up on deployment. My Cessna in fact can near loop when full deployed if a little too much speed !

One reason why model may dip nose on flaps being deployed is that we tend to have switched flaps instead of proportional. We slow down the model. flick the switch and BHAM - drag is suddenly made and nose goes down. It's a big reason why I use a rotary knob on mine ... so I can bring in flaps proportionally avoiding that sudden moment.

With the Edge - I think I will utlise the same control - but trial as Spoilerons instead of flaperons ... with more angle possible if full movement made. Being proportional I can find out the 'sweet spot' and then EPA back the control to that as full movement.

I'm raring to give this a go .... real nuisance that I have to work !!

Nigel
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:16 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,058 Posts
Quote:
I have various models with flaps / flaperons and all display the typical nose up on deployment. My Cessna in fact can near loop when full deployed if a little too much speed !

One reason why model may dip nose on flaps being deployed is that we tend to have switched flaps instead of proportional. We slow down the model. flick the switch and BHAM - drag is suddenly made and nose goes down. It's a big reason why I use a rotary knob on mine ... so I can bring in flaps proportionally avoiding that sudden moment.

With the Edge - I think I will utlise the same control - but trial as Spoilerons instead of flaperons ... with more angle possible if full movement made. Being proportional I can find out the 'sweet spot' and then EPA back the control to that as full movement.

I'm raring to give this a go .... real nuisance that I have to work !!

Nigel
Doesn't it suck when work gets in the way!! AGH!! This is my last work day of the week. So I get some time to play with the planes again on sunday. I will move the throw up a little bit more and more to see if I can get it to slow down even more. But I am worrying about the stock servos that came with it. If I had my own in there then I would be willing to do more...
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:52 AM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
Using a higher rate of spoileron shouldn't cause any additional problem for the servos. They are still traveling less than they were already allowed to when used as ailerons. Also they are usually deployed when the airplane is slow, so even if they are set at 100% the aerodynamic load will be less than when they are used as ailerons at speed.
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:34 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,460 Posts
Yippee !! Finally going home ... wife says there's loads of snow at home - but weather forecast for next weekend is gentle breeze / near calm ... so snow or what - I'm going flying !!

Spoilerons here I come !!

Nigel