Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:09 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
You call them spoilerons when both surfaces move together in the up position. And yes there was a change in pitch when I first used them but then I added the couple clicks of down elevator and it stopped it. My Quick 400 Pylon racer uses a really small amount of spoilerons and it makes a huge difference in what the plane does as well. I am a cause and effect kind of guy so I have experimented with this stuff just to see what the planes do. And it all depends on wing configuration, airfoil and the position of the control surfaces. With most mid wing tail dragger planes I will try spoilerons over flaps because you want the plane to be in a more nose high attitude when it comes in to land. Which is exactly how you want to land the plane since it is sitting that way on its gear... High wing trike gear planes need inboard flaps or Flaperons for a more nose down attitude which is the way the plane already sits on its gear. That's just what I go off of and is in no way a rule of thumb. Each to their own though! That's what makes this hobby so much fun!
No worries ... I don't disagree with you ... low wing one way ... high wing another etc.

It's actually splitting hairs I know ... but when both surfaces move up unless they SPOIL the air and reduce the lift - they are purely changing the effective angle of attack ... reducing it ... so you get the effect of raising the nose as we agree on a low winger. What is in actual fact really flaps but moving in a negative action.
But true spoilers do just that - SPOIL. The best example are blade or scissor action spoilers that extend out of top of a wing ... I used on some of my higher performing slopers ... literally a fence that rose vertically to kill the airflow over part of the wing.... Spoiled.

My idea was to extend down flaps so they created drag ... the amount being large so the apparent increased angle of attack would be negated by the drag increase. I would also have possibility to use as flaps at lesser angle ... maybe benefiting from increased apparent angle of attack.

There's a lot of sense in both ways ... the spoileron version of course not using any more servos or gear than already on-board.... only difference for me would be to use possibly more movement than you have ... to get more effect and increased sink-rate.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:37 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
No worries ... I don't disagree with you ... low wing one way ... high wing another etc.

It's actually splitting hairs I know ... but when both surfaces move up unless they SPOIL the air and reduce the lift - they are purely changing the effective angle of attack ... reducing it ... so you get the effect of raising the nose as we agree on a low winger. What is in actual fact really flaps but moving in a negative action.
But true spoilers do just that - SPOIL. The best example are blade or scissor action spoilers that extend out of top of a wing ... I used on some of my higher performing slopers ... literally a fence that rose vertically to kill the airflow over part of the wing.... Spoiled.

My idea was to extend down flaps so they created drag ... the amount being large so the apparent increased angle of attack would be negated by the drag increase. I would also have possibility to use as flaps at lesser angle ... maybe benefiting from increased apparent angle of attack.

There's a lot of sense in both ways ... the spoileron version of course not using any more servos or gear than already on-board.... only difference for me would be to use possibly more movement than you have ... to get more effect and increased sink-rate.

Nigel
Very true and well stated. I could have used more throw but chose not to over work the servos.
gooniac33 is online now Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:55 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,325 Posts
I will be most likely trying your way of using the ailerons ... see what benefit I get ... then decide whether to modify to my original idea.

I could always buy another set of wings !! Modify those and choose one or other depending on flight site !

For anyone interested - HK have stock of Motor mounts in now. I've just ordered two replacements. I have a pal who's a Metal Master ... one will go to him for creating an alloy version, other will be fitted to my Edge just to see if any real difference to my DIY home bodge mount ! I also ordered a new Cowl ... at less than $2 - seemed worth it !

Nigel
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:06 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,961 Posts
Quote:
I will be most likely trying your way of using the ailerons ... see what benefit I get ... then decide whether to modify to my original idea.

I could always buy another set of wings !! Modify those and choose one or other depending on flight site !

For anyone interested - HK have stock of Motor mounts in now. I've just ordered two replacements. I have a pal who's a Metal Master ... one will go to him for creating an alloy version, other will be fitted to my Edge just to see if any real difference to my DIY home bodge mount ! I also ordered a new Cowl ... at less than $2 - seemed worth it !

Nigel
I would love to get a metal version of this mount! Just need to get it and send it out to someone that will mold it I guess. But for now I made my own out of wood and apc prop adapter spacers. I will not change it until I have to because this one is working great!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:14 AM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
985 Posts
Is there anything faster with landing gear for this price?

Been thinking about one of these Performance Racer Series planes to replace my P-40 funfighter which has lots of speed but has to be hand launched and belly landed. I fly off of a asphalt runway and prefer something with landing gear.
This series of planes seems to offer the best combination of speed with landing gear at this price point.
If there is a better deal out there that falls under these parameters I have not found it.
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:30 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,325 Posts
Quote:
I would love to get a metal version of this mount! Just need to get it and send it out to someone that will mold it I guess. But for now I made my own out of wood and apc prop adapter spacers. I will not change it until I have to because this one is working great!
The cowl and mounts together were so cheap incl. shipping - I just bought two !

As said - one to my mate and he'll knock-up an alloy one. He's a fellow Rc'r - so he knows it has to be light etc.

I'm sure there must be a metals shop somewhere near you guys ?

Nigel
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:36 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,961 Posts
Quote:
The cowl and mounts together were so cheap incl. shipping - I just bought two !

As said - one to my mate and he'll knock-up an alloy one. He's a fellow Rc'r - so he knows it has to be light etc.

I'm sure there must be a metals shop somewhere near you guys ?

Nigel
I can probably hit up my buddy GLM from Morgan Mills to make it for me. But as I said...not until it actually breaks in a way that I can't repair..LOL Mine is working great thus far!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:31 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,325 Posts
Mine like many others broke first flight. The ply mount I made works ... but is rough ...

Would like something a bit 'nicer' !!

Thinking about nicer ... anyone cleaned of the factory colours / tapes etc. and re-painted ? I know it looks quite dapper in its factory scheme - but I fancy something a bit more personal ....

Nigel
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:55 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,325 Posts
Having created another thread to gather ideas for slowing this baby down ..

Pity it degenerated to a Schoolboys lecture ... but anyway - some good info there.

Certainly making me think about alternatives. I will be trying the Spoilerons first ... then the split flaps. I will try both as I think they need comparison to see which is best.

All info will be posted ... along with vids etc.

Nigel
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:15 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,961 Posts
I flew it twice this weekend and really let it rip! It is really happy with this set up and is well over 110mph. It was pulling away from a plane that has been radared at at 110mph without even leaving it full throttle. I need to get a radar gun out to get a reading on this thing..

As for the landings my spoileron set up is working great. I have a very narrow little path that I am landing on and the spoilerons are allowing me to hit it spot on every time. The plane slows down as soon as the switch is clicked and doesn't show any hint of stalling or snapping out at all. I really need to get a video of it flying...will work on that next week...
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:58 AM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
985 Posts
Quote:
I flew it twice this weekend and really let it rip! It is really happy with this set up and is well over 110mph.
Is this with stock motor,esc and prop?
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:27 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydown View Post
Is this with stock motor,esc and prop?
Nope.... Rocket Motor 2815 size 1950kv motor on 4s... with 7X6 APC prop....
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:57 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,325 Posts
Fly out again on assignment ... so all the work I expected to do on my racer is now delayed again ...

But this time - I'm taking my Sim + Tx .... !!

Nigel
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:18 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
I put mine into the ground at the end of a full throttle dive today. After inspection it appears my elevator rods slipped through there mount again. This happened previously on its maiden months ago. It might be worth adding a drop of CA onto the rods perhaps. I do put my Edge through some harsh turns at speed which does not help I guess. Anyway we recently had a lot of rain, so the ground was soft, so she may live again. This plane of mine has really copped a pounding.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:08 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
I put mine into the ground at the end of a full throttle dive today. After inspection it appears my elevator rods slipped through there mount again. This happened previously on its maiden months ago. It might be worth adding a drop of CA onto the rods perhaps. I do put my Edge through some harsh turns at speed which does not help I guess. Anyway we recently had a lot of rain, so the ground was soft, so she may live again. This plane of mine has really copped a pounding.

Mick
Sorry can you detail a bit more on that ... I assume you mean the screw jobs that connect to the servo arms ?
I have to say - that mine have been fine - even with crashes etc. - no movement at all.
Why not swap for Z bends ? but only thought then is the servo arm will not be operating direct IN-line with rod ... it will be offset a touch by the Z bend - possibly giving rise to flex ... and in high power stress stuff ... rod may flex.

Nigel