HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:08 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for sharing!! That just proves that you are a very skilled R/C pilot! Racing takes a different type of thinking!
No way ... I'm just an average Joe ...

Little story ... Beaulieu in UK ... Club 20 meeting ... part of Southern Champs .. Myself and Paul - my launcher are there. Rm Racer is all trimmed out and ready to go.

Come's my turn to stand on the line with 3 other guys ... Pauls in front of me with my RM screaming .. watching for the start flag to drop. Watchers at far post have identified their respective planes ...

Someone spoke to me .. I turn away to answer .. flag drops ... RM is launched ... S********* !!!!!! I just managed to get her up before smashing into the gorse !

Paul did his job - he watches for that flag and launches regardless !

Took ages for my heart to come down !!

Memories !!

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:40 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,876 Posts
That had me chuckling Nigel!

I had an incident back in the eighties at Goosedale farm (Nottinghamshire) when we were flying a BEFA League Speed 400 pylon race. The two leaders, Mark Chinnery and myself, came around the base pylons together and actually clipped each other. When we landed after the race Mark's plane had a lovely pattern cut into the upper surface of the Port wing of his plane, where my prop had neatly scythed across the top of it! That league was so much fun, inexpensive to take part in, but highly competitive. Happy days.

Anyway, back on topic, a nice big brown box has just arrived, time to open it up!
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:06 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
When my RM Racer sliced T.Butterworths Aerobatic job in half - that was something else !! At a public display as well ... TB is a member here ... and I'm wondering whether he will pick up on this and remember !!

My favourite was in fact Formula 40 which i believe morphed to another Class name .. In it's first days - it was mostly Cotswold Midget Mustangs with K&B 40's ... amazing ! I'd LOVE to have a Midget Mustang again - but was told the moulds were sold on and lost ...
Would like a Funfighter of Cotswold again ... but they've gone as well ...

There were some cracking models those days that would be great with electrics. Rojair, Cotswold, Flair, etc. (I know Flair is still around ...)

Nigel
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:40 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,876 Posts
OK, one cup of coffee later, and the little Edge is ready for flight! This has to be the most rapid assembly plane I've ever had!

Just need to wait for the weather to play ball now, it's currently -3.5 deg with lots of ice, snow and fog.

Ever the one for facts & figures I've taken some power readings and the results are as follows:
2200mAh 3s NanoTech LiPo gives a steady current draw of 19.8A for a power (in) of approximately 217W and a PWR of about 144W/Lb
2200mAh 4s NanoTech LiPo gives a steady current draw of 28.9A for a power (in) of approximately 427W and a PWR of about 284W/Lb

That's quite a difference between the two voltages, but even the 144W is a decent amount of power for hooning around.

I also measured the wing area and it comes out at about 123.5 sq/ins. so the wing loading with a 3s 2200mAh battery is about 27ozs/sq.ft. No wonder then that this plane likes to be kept at a relatively high pace. Can't wait to try it out, but it's just started snowing again.
Last edited by Ben D Wing; Jan 17, 2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:15 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
19A on 3S and 28A on 4S is what I had also ...

I would suggest that the 2200 4S is too heavy .... but the 3S is about right. Use of the 4S at that size will IMHO lead to problems getting her down. I use a 1600 Zippy Compact 4S and that sits nicely with CoG near same as the 2200 3S ...

Nigel
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:55 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,963 Posts
Lighter is better so long as you can get the CG right....but with a high power to weight ratio this thing is a blast! My take offs look more like a space shuttle launch!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:01 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
Lighter is better so long as you can get the CG right....but with a high power to weight ratio this thing is a blast! My take offs look more like a space shuttle launch!
I'm wondering if she'll do a vertical out of hand ? My WOT4 in UK used to ... but she was massively overpowered.

This matter of CoG ... it's important but as I found as long as we keep to what HK Scott said ... fit the right LiPo as they designed her for ... no modifications, just built as stock - she is balanced right. I agree that the measurement then falls different to the book ! You only have to read the first pages of this thread as to the troubles people had trying to nail it down to a mm figure.
I took the route of reading Scott's replies and just doing as he said ... QED.

It's like any model, this one just more sensitve ... if you modify or go outside design parameters - you're on your own !

Nigel
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:29 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I'm wondering if she'll do a vertical out of hand ? My WOT4 in UK used to ... but she was massively overpowered.

This matter of CoG ... it's important but as I found as long as we keep to what HK Scott said ... fit the right LiPo as they designed her for ... no modifications, just built as stock - she is balanced right. I agree that the measurement then falls different to the book ! You only have to read the first pages of this thread as to the troubles people had trying to nail it down to a mm figure.
I took the route of reading Scott's replies and just doing as he said ... QED.

It's like any model, this one just more sensitve ... if you modify or go outside design parameters - you're on your own !

Nigel
Almost all planes have a CG range...which to me means that it will fly anywhere within that range. Further back means less elevator throw and further forward means more throw. For first flights go somewhere in the middle of the range and then adjust to your liking. That's just me and so far it has worked pretty well! And I never measure!! This little thing is awesome as it is now though! Love it!!!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:49 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
Almost all planes have a CG range...which to me means that it will fly anywhere within that range. Further back means less elevator throw and further forward means more throw. For first flights go somewhere in the middle of the range and then adjust to your liking. That's just me and so far it has worked pretty well! And I never measure!! This little thing is awesome as it is now though! Love it!!!
Absolutely .... but so many at start of this thread were so intent on CoG measurements ... and so many different numbers were bandied about. I reckon Scott left the thread having repeated enough that stock with 1800 4S was spot on ...
Mine ranges about 30 - 33mm depending on LiPo ... 3S or 4S .. and flies great.

I was just remarking in previous post that stock with designed battery pack was answer for this babe.

In fact apart from my Lanyu Me109 and T45 that I modified both - I've not had to add to correct CoG out of box stock.

I've got maybe anlother week or so before I get home and really itching to get this baby up again !! I want to really find out the real limits of its envelope ... maybe dispel this stall legend it's developing ?

Nigel
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:35 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,963 Posts
Quote:
Absolutely .... but so many at start of this thread were so intent on CoG measurements ... and so many different numbers were bandied about. I reckon Scott left the thread having repeated enough that stock with 1800 4S was spot on ...
Mine ranges about 30 - 33mm depending on LiPo ... 3S or 4S .. and flies great.

I was just remarking in previous post that stock with designed battery pack was answer for this babe.

In fact apart from my Lanyu Me109 and T45 that I modified both - I've not had to add to correct CoG out of box stock.

I've got maybe anlother week or so before I get home and really itching to get this baby up again !! I want to really find out the real limits of its envelope ... maybe dispel this stall legend it's developing ?

Nigel
From what I have noticed the rudder has a lot to do with the planes violent stall. I have done some stalls wings level and it didn't drop a wing at all. just dropped its nose and picked up speed. However if i try to keep the plane in a high alpha attitude and then use rudder to help keep it on heading.... It snaps out violently. Just using ailerons and elevator works just fine.

Either way I am loving this plane! I have gotten used to its speed and handling and it is a blast!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:41 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
It does have a healthy sized rudder ! At present mine is with a lot of movement, but I may cut it back seriously ...

I have to admit that I don't fly it as often as I should ... mainly because of the flight area conditions. This means that when I do - I'm usually flying for speed and not exploring it's other abilities.

It may be called a racer ... but it was also designed in full size for aerobatics ...

Nigel
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:51 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,963 Posts
Quote:
It does have a healthy sized rudder ! At present mine is with a lot of movement, but I may cut it back seriously ...

I have to admit that I don't fly it as often as I should ... mainly because of the flight area conditions. This means that when I do - I'm usually flying for speed and not exploring it's other abilities.

It may be called a racer ... but it was also designed in full size for aerobatics ...

Nigel
I looks like an F1 Reno racer....not the aerobatic plane it is supposed to be. The wing looks nothing like the real one and neither does the cowl... but I still call it an Edge! The person that designed the real plane lives not to far from where I work and I see full scale planes fly over me all the time out of San Carlos Airport...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:46 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
mmmm Reno Racer ... makes me think even more about additions to slow her down for controlled flare to land.

I want to get her capable to fly in limited area instead of the long run in ...

Nigel
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:04 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,876 Posts
Simple, add lightness!

Not possible in this case, but I can't think of any other way of slowing this particular plane down. The only other way is to add inboard flaps, but that adds even more weight.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:22 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
Simple, add lightness!

Not possible in this case, but I can't think of any other way of slowing this particular plane down. The only other way is to add inboard flaps, but that adds even more weight.
A couple of 5gr servos and a bit of wire is acceptable to me ... what I'm looking for is increasing the sink-rate, but still level and flat. If I stick the nose down to sink - speed rockets up again ... if I pick nose up to slow her - too much and she flicks out ... bleeding speed over distance with small models is not so good ...

To get this model to act more like a small field flyer might not be a bad idea ... and still keeping the outright speed capability.

Nigel