SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:53 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,130 Posts
Got a good flight in yesterday with it and the new motor mount! Was having so much fun until I forgot to land and after 5 missed approaches the battery went "NO MORE" and I was barely able to make it back to the path I land on...But I DID!!! And it was a damn good landing! Gear is still intact and nothing broken! Lets see how Long I can keep this up!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:25 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
Lets see how Long I can keep this up!
Well it didnt last for me. This morning I flew my YAK, then my Vampire, then my GAUI550, which put me right in the groove for having some fast fun with my EDGE. The spectators settled into their seats, I was feeling confident and calm as I fitted the battery and did my pre-flight. Looked ahead, all clear, so I punched it for a quick lift off. Air born and banked left into the wind sock pole, tearing the left wing off

I collected my pieces and went back to the car and put the YAK and Vampire's battery back on the charger

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:01 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
Well it didnt last for me. This morning I flew my YAK, then my Vampire, then my GAUI550, which put me right in the groove for having some fast fun with my EDGE. The spectators settled into their seats, I was feeling confident and calm as I fitted the battery and did my pre-flight. Looked ahead, all clear, so I punched it for a quick lift off. Air born and banked left into the wind sock pole, tearing the left wing off

I collected my pieces and went back to the car and put the YAK and Vampire's battery back on the charger

Mick
Oh man....sorry to hear that.... I almost killed mine today on take off yet again....way too much coupling in the rudder... but it didn't crash thankfully and it had a great flight followed by an awesome landing!! It's basically like carrier landing where I land since the ground is wet and muddy in certain areas... with grass and reeds on the sides... Great flight though! This plane is FAST!!!
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:50 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,575 Posts
Sorry to hear ....

Back in 1980's ... one site I used to fly on was a Military Airfield, it was in reserve and used mainly by Air Sea Rescue ..

Anyway ... I had a heavy large IC powered Mirage 2000..... 61 + pipe up front. I lined her up ... gave it the gun ... never noticed that nose wheel was slightly of centred .. by time she started to turn - she was at full bore and smack into the runway landing light !!
Boy did I feel a twit !! Had to go cap in hand and apologise to Airfield Tech ! who had to get the gear out to re-align the sectored light !

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:56 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Boy did I feel a twit !!
Nigel
That's how I felt Nigel. Oh well no matter, its all glued back together, and I'm hoping it will still fly straight

Mick

ps- regards the speed. Hopfully in the near future i can get a logger on board, or try to remember to take one of my kids ipods to the field and get some passes over "rcspeedo"
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:18 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
I would give this aircraft a 10/10 for fun factor if you like flying fast. I sent my Edge up today in a 20kmh breeze. The take off was a little reckless again with the aircraft fighting me as it tried to pull hard left as I increased throttle. Once air born though she carved up the sky. I put her through some moves I use on my gliders sending it up vertical until orientation became an issue before rolling it over and sending it straight down into full throttle down wind dives. It handles the speed so well you dont really realise how fast its going until the pass. I had such a fantastic time flying my little Edge today I was grinning for two hours after. Unfortunately I messed up the landing and clipped a light pole with my gear tearing the gear out and splitting the airframe. The approach was reasonable, and the breeze was putting the brakes on nicely, but it was one of those times when you look at the tree tops on your approach and believe your aircraft is in front, when it is actually behind. Lucky I keep lots of glue in stock, you gotta love EPO
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:34 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
I would give this aircraft a 10/10 for fun factor if you like flying fast. I sent my Edge up today in a 20kmh breeze. The take off was a little reckless again with the aircraft fighting me as it tried to pull hard left as I increased throttle. Once air born though she carved up the sky. I put her through some moves I use on my gliders sending it up vertical until orientation became an issue before rolling it over and sending it straight down into full throttle down wind dives. It handles the speed so well you dont really realise how fast its going until the pass. I had such a fantastic time flying my little Edge today I was grinning for two hours after. Unfortunately I messed up the landing and clipped a light pole with my gear tearing the gear out and splitting the airframe. The approach was reasonable, and the breeze was putting the brakes on nicely, but it was one of those times when you look at the tree tops on your approach and believe your aircraft is in front, when it is actually behind. Lucky I keep lots of glue in stock, you gotta love EPO
AGH!! Man I feel your pain... I have gotten lucky with this thing and I know that it is counting down til a good smackeroo...but I flew it again today and it went good! Got another good landing in even though it was a different direction and still pretty fast. Still liking this plane a lot! May glue the wings in perm though since they seem to be moving a lil now...Mine is going much faster than it did stock so it can't hurt being safe....
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:35 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,575 Posts
I've posted up before on another thread about "spatial awareness" and the thinking you are past a point but actually not.

I think we concentrate on the model and the environment around it then becomes less defined. My group has a couple of rough sites to fly ... one being a 30m circle cut into rough field area. So many times I think I am past the rough and over the good ... to find she lands short in the last of the rough ! I know I am not only one.

The classic is the tree or post ...

Nigel
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:10 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I've posted up before on another thread about "spatial awareness" and the thinking you are past a point but actually not.

I think we concentrate on the model and the environment around it then becomes less defined. My group has a couple of rough sites to fly ... one being a 30m circle cut into rough field area. So many times I think I am past the rough and over the good ... to find she lands short in the last of the rough ! I know I am not only one.

The classic is the tree or post ...

Nigel
That has to be the hardest part of flying RC...most people don't get it and get tunnel vision...By that I mean that they focus on the plane and nothing else. I have seen people fly straight into trees, other planes, helicopters people, into the ground and even the water! It isn't easy to do but with practice you can. I often tell other people whats going on with their planes when I am flying mine! LOL or follow pieces that have fallen off... Multitasking at its best.... But with a fast plane it is even harder to handle all of those things. Let alone take off and land without hitting something...
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:01 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
I am still trying to figure out how i was unlucky enough to hit two poles in one weekend. My crashes are usually attributed to mechanical failure with helicopters, and bounce on landing due to excessive vertical speed on touch down. I never hit things. Oh well I'm gluing it back together as i type. Luckily very few EPO crashes are terminal

Mick
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:09 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,575 Posts
I gotta stop reading others crashes !! .... first I break my Cessna in the car, dog guard dropped and broke it's tail.... then I crashed my scratchbuild Me109 ... I should have stopped there but no ... I was going to fly ....

The location was not good .. with our two cars downwind and a narrow dirt road ... not a good combo especially with a deep channel to one side of the road full of ice cold water !

Out comes the HK Racer 540 Edge ... I decide that today with conditions to only fit the 3S 2200 .... away she goes and no problem.
But eyes start to water in the cold breeze ... orientation is getting hard at distance in the grey'ish day and my watering eyes ... so I decide it's time to call it quits. The 540 is a hot landing machine and unfortunately cars are parked at end of road downwind. I walk upwind a good distance warning my pal that I'm going to be landing along the road .. he stays at the cars.
I abort first landing ... too close, too hot and there's a deep channel next to road that was beckoning the model in !! Power and pull away .. round again but further out this time ... she's lined up ... but boy is she travelling .... My mate jumps to the side as the 540 is still gliding hot .. I see the cars coming up and decide it's chop and dump ... BHAM - hit his cars passenger side tyre a glancing blow ... both wings pop of ... cowl and motor separate from body ... but amazingly - the wheels stayed on !!
My mates laughing his head of !!

We pick up the pieces ... and decide enough is enough ....

After smashing my Ultimate in a TOO LOW tuck and under from inverted .. I go home !!

The 540 Edge with the clip on wings ... luckily this saves the wings ... and fuselage is only split seams ... as it wasn't a head on smash ... it was right wing hit the wheel ...

After about 30mins work ... firewall is back on with motor, cowl splits are CA'd / Hot glued ... fuselage seams sorted ... wings back on with the couple of small pieces glued back on ... She's ready to go again.

Just one of those days !!

Nigel
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:48 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,575 Posts
Here's the 540 and its encounter with a BMW 530 .....

Look out its an Edge (5 min 7 sec)

Please I realise that some are going to comment on landing towards cars .. people etc. - This is just two of us on a difficult road location ...

Enjoy !! (I can laugh about it now !)

Nigel
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:55 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
Still liking this plane a lot! May glue the wings in perm though since they seem to be moving a lil now...Mine is going much faster than it did stock so it can't hurt being safe....
You will see a marked improvement during high G manouvers after you glue the wings. I did anyhow. Unfortunately though as was predicted in this thread the wings do shear off on impact once glued, so best not hit (1)Wind sock poles (2)Street lamp posts (3) BMW's

You gotta love flying this thing though

Mine is nearly ready to go again, but I'm considering putting some tape along the belly and leaving the gear off which will expand my landing options. But that will only help if I can slow it down. I think if the Edge's CG is in a happy place it should glide in nicely though. We will see.

BTW does the Edge misbehave with hand launch? and what is recommended method. Forward launch over arm?, or a more vertical launch under arm? Full throttle, or gentle exit?

Mick
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:25 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,575 Posts
Ways to slow it down ?

Spoilers ?

Inboard flaps ?

Air-brakes ?

This darned plane - I LOVE flying it ... but it is so hard to get her to slow down in a controlled manner.
Whenever I try to get her to really slow down ... she drops bodily ... so I end up throttling a touch to get her steady again ... which ends up with speed.

I am tempted to split the inboard ailerons of and create flaps or spoilers from them ... it would only need a small section either side ... 5 cms / 2" ...

Anyone else any ideas ? Anyone have any data about the real 540 ? and her characteristics ?

Nigel
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:23 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,130 Posts
The plane does slow down if you just learn how to do it... Dedicate one flight to exploring the slow flight characteristics and you will be surprised. It is predictable and can be controlled with throttle. I land mine with just about 1/8th throttle and will bump that up just a little to keep it from descending too quickly. It's just a bump... Spoilerons could help but I don't think that they are needed. Just get used to it. I land mine on a 4 foot wide trail... it can be done...