SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:21 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
You could be right about speed ... with a decent 1950kv, 4S and a good prop ... why not ? Possibly more than 100mph. But what run-time do you get ? I would hazard a guess that is quite short ?... 3 - 4mins ?

I broke the plastic mount on first maiden ... it really is flimsy. It's the legs break of usually.
When I looked to replace with a better mount - there is a definite problem.

The cowl top is so close to the mount - you cannot use a X mount or anything over-counter ... Plus the firewall has cut-outs that are large and would need bridging to fit any standard mount - you could get inside cowl !

My way finally was to cut a ply disc and fit that with spacers to give thrust lines ...

I am still trying to find a more asthetic solution !! But it works.

Nigel
That is the beauty of having a nice cowl...you don't have to see whats underneath!! LOL I will be doing something very similar to that. Just want it in the air! Oh and with my flying style I am getting over 6 mins flight time.It is pulling over 52 amps but still doing good since I don't fly full throttle for long...
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Last edited by gooniac33; Jan 01, 2013 at 02:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:24 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
I broke the plastic mount on first maiden ... it really is flimsy. It's the legs break of usually.
When I looked to replace with a better mount - there is a definite problem.

The cowl top is so close to the mount - you cannot use a X mount or anything over-counter ... Plus the firewall has cut-outs that are large and would need bridging to fit any standard mount - you could get inside cowl !

My way finally was to cut a ply disc and fit that with spacers to give thrust lines ...

I am still trying to find a more asthetic solution !! But it works.

Nigel
Fabricating an 3mm alloy mount is the best option I think. I made one after hitting the gutter on my maiden, which broke the original mount. It only took a half hour to fabricate. Since I fitted the alloy the only thing up front that goes wrong in an impact is the glue securing the plastic firewall might separate if it takes a good hit.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=152
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:25 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
Fabricating an 3mm alloy mount is the best option I think. I made one after hitting the gutter on my maiden, which broke the original mount. It only took a half hour to fabricate. Since I fitted the alloy the only thing up front that goes wrong in an impact is the glue securing the plastic firewall might separate if it takes a good hit.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=152
3mm ! thats thick material ? I don't have metalwork skills ... so plywood is my answer. But neat ! That's got me thinking.

I am thinking to replace my DIY mount with straight cross beams instead ... I cut a little too close on one side and the screw hole is too near edge.

I have thought of buying more original mounts ... but to be honest - why have the hassle of replacing all the timne ! Maybe to buy one and get a pal of mine who's a metal master to make one .. My old one is binned - so no use giving him that.

Haven't heard anymore from the guys who had mounts twisted ... ??

Hi Gooniac ... 52A ... that's a big increase over my 32A on stock. My problem is I like speed and that means a lot of WOT ... But I am interested to look at an upgrade on motor .... I reckon a pole mount motor would be better here to fit inside that cowl and also the length needed ...

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:49 AM
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Jul 2011
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
Mine has always had a rough bearing sound in the outrunner since new. I really should change it out before it burns me, but I think you will warm to this little Edge550, once its all dialed in. My only complaint is the size is a little small for my taste. I've just ordered Hobbyking's Sbach 1400mm EPO to try and scale things up a bit.

Mick
I would like to get the racer back in the air and dial her in some more. Although , it was flying nice until the magnet came loose. I was going to give the motor a very thin shim for some slight down thrust. Anyone else found they needed to do this??
medroller is offline Find More Posts by medroller
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:51 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by medroller View Post
I would like to get the racer back in the air and dial her in some more. Although , it was flying nice until the magnet came loose. I was going to give the motor a very thin shim for some slight down thrust. Anyone else found they needed to do this??
If mount is correct - the down and right should be fine.

My control surfaces are absolutely neutral - indicating that thrust lines are fine. They are stock.... even though I replaced mount with home-made.

Nigel
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:46 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by medroller View Post
I was going to give the motor a very thin shim for some slight down thrust. Anyone else found they needed to do this??
I'm running my engine angle 2deg right and 1deg down. When I queried this some time back, most recomendations from forum queries recomended 2deg right and a neutral zero deg down thrust for this aircraft.

Mick
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:16 PM
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Jul 2011
224 Posts
Quote:
If mount is correct - the down and right should be fine.

My control surfaces are absolutely neutral - indicating that thrust lines are fine. They are stock.... even though I replaced mount with home-made.

Nigel
I'd have to say my surfaces are pretty well neutral as yours are. If I do put any down thrust in , it would be paper thin. Anything like a washer would be to much for this size plane.
medroller is offline Find More Posts by medroller
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:20 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,646 Posts
Took mine out for flights today. Winds were a bit outtta control but we sent here up anyway! Things were going pretty good until something let the magic smoke out?! Mayday! Mayday! Emergency landing ...

A shout out to gp125racer for shooting the photos!

Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:42 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
You should try your luck in the Hobbyking photo competion with that last picture

What went pop anyhow?
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:46 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,380 Posts
OOP's .......

My EDF did similar one day !! ESC and motor were toasted ! Never did find out why.

Nice photos though ...

Bet she dead-stick'd fine ? Counter to what some reports say.

Only niggle I have with mine is the ESC has a bad low throttle area .. when bringing her in and reducing throttle - motor will suddenly stop where I want just a prop turning to help keep nose up ... I've reset throttle range ... tried all sorts but still it has this dead spot. When testing .. the motor suddenly kicks into life instead of controlled in as should be. Seems to be missing the bottom 5% bit ..

Maybe I'll swap out the ESC later ...

Nigel
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:28 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,022 Posts
I have to get a smoke system like that!! Looks awesome!!! LOL!!! Good job getting it back down... Mine is back together and should be ripping it up again soon!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:01 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,646 Posts
The smoke trail was pretty cool for sure. The winds were gusting around 15mph. I was nervous about the landing to come but when it went poof, the deadstick landing was one of my best landings on this model so far?! No damage at all from my deadstick in roughage other than the breakaway gear (again).
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:54 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,380 Posts
The landing gear breaking out ... I'm of the opinion I'd rather it break out clean without tearing the fueslage apart with it.
We can all beef up something like this - but then when it breaks out - it takes half the fuz with it !

Nigel
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:57 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,646 Posts
I would totally agree with you on that. Mine has broken out cleanly twice, with no other damage at all. Better to have that happen than to have its underbelly ripped open IMO.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:16 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,380 Posts
It may also teach old farts like me to land better as well !

Nigel