HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:44 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,640 Posts
You sure you have enough watts there Ray?!

You have the 1700Kv motor in there now, right?
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:21 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,014 Posts
Using the Rocket 2215 1950kv motor.... I have the 1700kv also but won't be using that one...
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:38 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,378 Posts
With stock 1400kv motor, 7x6 APC prop I had following :

3S 2200 25C Turnigy Blue : 19A

4S 1600 25C Zippy Compact : 28A

Maths now ... 19 x 11.1 = theoretical 211W on the 3S ... 28 x 14.8 = theoretical 414W on the 4S ... I know that voltage dip on load makes figs lower ... I never noted down the W's figures only the amps !! Anyway - it shows that the stock motor is putting out fair load of Watts ....

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:50 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,640 Posts
Ok, I'm in! Clicked mine together tonight. AUW with a Thunder Power G4 45C 1750mAh is 23.2 ounces. Using an "old school" motor that I had lying around. Any of you'all remember the Little Screamers Super Park Jet? Used to be THE motor of unobtainium. Now?! We'll see how it does. Spinning an APC 7x5.

Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:23 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,378 Posts
Great but ...

What KV ?

If its 1400 or similar as the stock - then I suggest a 7x6 as stock.
G4 LiPo ? is that 4S ? 40C is way higher than you need ... as 3S on 7x6 and stock motor is 19A, 4S is 28A .... so a reasonable 25C pack is fine. My 4S 25C pack comes down cool.

Make sure ELEVATOR is no more than 5mm up / down on reduced and about 8mm on full ... fly on REDUCED ! Honestly - if you try on higher movement, the model dances allover and becomes uncontrollable provoking the others claims of stalls .. It's a high speed stall literally ... where you just lose co-ordination with the up / down of the machine.
Make sure elevator is dead centred by using s straight edge ! I didn't and paid the price.

Nigel
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:15 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,014 Posts
Got mine in the air yesterday after catching a bad receiver location on the range check. The plane flew ok but seemed to be just a hair tail heavy or the elevator is sticking a little. I forgot to oil the control rods in the tubes like I usually do and there was not enough expo in the elevator either. But it flew and once it was trimmed it did really good! Even had a great landing too! But as everyone has said it hit a little weed and they popped out...not even a drop of glue there holding them in!!! but its done right now. Next flight will be on 4s since it did feel good as it was but not quite as much as I am used to. Here is the fleet from yesterday and the watt meter reading of it on 4s....

It was a cold and windy day so I only got 3 planes in the air....

Battery is a China Hobby 4s 30c 1800mah. It is brand new so it will just get better from here.... Also going to drop down to a 7X5 if using 4s to keep the voltage drop down and rpm up.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:16 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,378 Posts
731 W ??

What for ? Definite overkill there !

I'm happy with my 28A on 4S ... maybe one day I'll push her harder ...

Nigel
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:38 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
731 W ??

What for ? Definite overkill there !

I'm happy with my 28A on 4S ... maybe one day I'll push her harder ...

Nigel
I only use what I need so it won't be full throttle very often. Uplines and fast passes on occasion....I love really big loops too!! And this is not the prop I will use on 4s either.. Going to go down in pitch...
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:32 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
It was a cold and windy day so I only got 3 planes in the air....
Nice collection. I like to take a full car to the field as well. I had a laugh the other day when a new guy to our field turned up and asked me to toss his fun fighter into the air for him. He passed me a busted up looking "Rare Bear" i think and told me to toss it under arm from a canopy grip. I did the toss but it rolled and dipped heavy into the ground on launch. I offered apologies, and he said don't worry about it and plucked another identical, busted up looking aircraft from his trailer. I launched again without incident. He turned out to be quite a skillfull veteran RC pilot that came prepared with multiple aircraft. The crash was "water of a ducks back" to him.
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:08 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
Nice collection. I like to take a full car to the field as well. I had a laugh the other day when a new guy to our field turned up and asked me to toss his fun fighter into the air for him. He passed me a busted up looking "Rare Bear" i think and told me to toss it under arm from a canopy grip. I did the toss but it rolled and dipped heavy into the ground on launch. I offered apologies, and he said don't worry about it and plucked another identical, busted up looking aircraft from his trailer. I launched again without incident. He turned out to be quite a skillfull veteran RC pilot that came prepared with multiple aircraft. The crash was "water of a ducks back" to him.
There were actually 2 planes missing here...LOL But yeah thats how it has to be! Don't let one mishap ruin the whole day of flying!!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:13 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,378 Posts
My standard inventory to go flying :

Cessna 182
T45 64mm
T45 50mm

then I decide based on wind / flight location another at least 2 models ....

The Cessna, Skyartec, is ALWAYS there as it is my warm-up machine that flies regradless of conditions ... I use it to a) loosen up on first flight, b) test the conditions up there, c) generally get ready to put the higher power stuff up there !

That way - I always have a good days flying despite any crashes I may have.

Nigel
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:38 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Oct 2003
113 Posts
Subbed.
yesbee1 is offline Find More Posts by yesbee1
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:09 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,378 Posts
Anyone any suggestions of materials / dimensions for Snow Ski's for this baby ? .... with the snow and weather I have here - I'm seriously looking to swap out the wheels and spats for ski's .....

Idea to have ski's at front and leave the wheel at rear.

Nigel
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Mar 2012
20 Posts
Nigel.......
You are a very patient man........

After reading pages 1-19 of this thread I'm going to have
to go slug down about a 5th of wild turkey.
Dutch rudder is offline Find More Posts by Dutch rudder
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:06 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch rudder View Post
After reading pages 1-19 of this thread I'm going to have
to go slug down about a 5th of wild turkey.
We have similar research methods

Back to the Edge 550. I had mine up and about this morning, but my good time was cut short when my wings appeared to be folding any time i pulled back hard into a vertical etc. I thought something was broken, or the wing had come unclipped, but it seems I am develloping clearance in the fuse wing mount. I am now considering gluing the wings in place. Has anybody else glued their wings in yet? and if so has this resulted in more aggressive crash damage? Either way I guess a new fuse might on the cards soon.

Its was flying so well now, so its a bit of a bumming having flapping wings

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47