HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:20 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,572 Posts
Video uploading when I posted this ... so keeop checking ...

HK Racer Edge 540 success 25-11-12 (0 min 0 sec)

Successful second attempt after slight mods to elevators etc.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:02 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Video uploading when I posted this ... so keeop checking ...

Successful second attempt after slight mods to elevators etc.

Nigel
Nice going. It sounds like you enjoyed the flight I had some fun with mine on the weekend as well when I maidened it again after rebuilding the front end following a heavy nose in crash the other week. It flew great apart from that I need to dial a little more AILE rate back in so it rolls a little faster. I had to laugh while watching the wings flex back when I would go vertical straight out of a full throttle pass. I didnt tear the gear off on the landing(this time) but it did spread and bend it back a bit. I need to think about a mod for the gear, or turn it into a belly lander I thing as I general need a little gear repair after each flight because my landings are a bit sloppy.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:19 AM
Joined Aug 2008
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
. I had to laugh while watching the wings flex back when I would go vertical straight out of a full throttle pass.Mick
Oh..that worries me. How fast were u going to see your wing flex on level flight ?

For me , i am worried about the plastic joint.. as opposed to wings flexing...the carbon rods seem to hold well for me so far. I am doing around 120 mph.

i did not pull when i am going full throttle.. but i am quite sure if i did some tricks like trying to snap it at full throttle on my setup i will snap the wings.
Did that on several other foam reinforced carbon planes and have learnt enough to avoid this. The only planes that seem to handle this well are the composites.. but well, that is a different league altogether...
chessgame is offline Find More Posts by chessgame
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:18 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,572 Posts
When I got home - found I'd lost one of the foam fairings to the U/C legs ... so 6mm depron cut to shape .. sanded ... glued on and painted.

Did I have a ball with her ? You bet. Once I had her sorted - she flew as I expected her to ... but I'm going to have to practice my landings for this babe ...

Nigel
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:49 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgame View Post
Oh..that worries me. How fast were u going to see your wing flex on level flight ?
I came in downwind and opened up the throttle. Once it passed me I pulled back on the elevator and watched it go vertical like a sky rocket with the wings bending back(looked like a about 5cm) under the stress of the turn. I did two passes like that before I decided it would be better if I didnt have to repair it again this week.

Mick
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:07 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,572 Posts
Interesting ... just out of curiosity .... I picked up my Edge and tried flexing the wings ... I could get a small amount, definitely nothing to note and then wing clips started to give. I stopped before damaging the fixings.

Nigel
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:08 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,704 Posts
Actually I found the wing attachment to be very durable; it's the best thing about the kit. In the two crashes that I had, plus one slightly rough belly landing, one or both wings were knocked loose and separated/detached...but there was no damage whatsoever to the wing or the attachment parts. I just snap-clicked the wings back in and all was well. If the wings had been glued in there probably would have been damage. So it's a pretty neat system. Kind of reminds me of those "crash-car" toys I used to get when I was a kid...where you would roll a model car into a barrier and it would break up into several pieces -- then you just reassemble the pieces and go at it again.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:14 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk1 View Post
no damage whatsoever to the wing or the attachment parts. I just snap-clicked the wings back in and all was well.
Same for me a few weeks ago when I had a heavy nose in crash. One wing just popped free. It broke the servo wires and separated the carbon a little at the wing tip, but no broken wing. So i was air born again a week later.

Mick
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:38 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk1 View Post
Actually I found the wing attachment to be very durable; it's the best thing about the kit. In the two crashes that I had, plus one slightly rough belly landing, one or both wings were knocked loose and separated/detached...but there was no damage whatsoever to the wing or the attachment parts. I just snap-clicked the wings back in and all was well. If the wings had been glued in there probably would have been damage. So it's a pretty neat system.........
I agree - in the crsah maiden I had - she was near vertical into the ground ... one wing just unclipped. Same - snapped it back into place and fine. Only damage was the rear locating pin being pressed into the fuselage when it came out.

Really impressed with the wing / tail snap together system.

Nigel
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:49 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,572 Posts
Is everyone flying other planes now ? Seems very quiet here ..

Nigel
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:37 AM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,535 Posts
my micro beast and a cap 232 rebuild is keeping me busy.
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:31 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2012
51 Posts
I bought the SBach 342 ARF Kit and put in a 2826 1400kv motor, 7x6 prop and running 2200mah 3S 30C LIPO. First time I flew it, it was really nose heavy and almost crashed it ... man, it was just sooo bad.

Re-balanced it with some nose weight and it still didn't fly well ... seemed underpowered (yes, they recommend 4S LIPO).

I swapped out the 2826 1400kv for a 2826 2200kv (like others have), took off the LG and she flies nicely now ... but I had to reduce my throttle throws to 20% (UP) as it was pulling 60+A and 450+ Watts.

Not it pulls 30A and 320W ... and flies nicely.
protoplasmia is offline Find More Posts by protoplasmia
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:09 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by protoplasmia View Post
I bought the SBach 342 ARF Kit and put in a 2826 1400kv motor, 7x6 prop and running 2200mah 3S 30C LIPO. First time I flew it, it was really nose heavy and almost crashed it ... man, it was just sooo bad.

Re-balanced it with some nose weight and it still didn't fly well ... seemed underpowered (yes, they recommend 4S LIPO).

I swapped out the 2826 1400kv for a 2826 2200kv (like others have), took off the LG and she flies nicely now ... but I had to reduce my throttle throws to 20% (UP) as it was pulling 60+A and 450+ Watts.

Not it pulls 30A and 320W ... and flies nicely.
The Edge 540 on stock motor and 3S is well powered ...

Why did you go for lesser kv than stock ?

Nigel
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:17 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2012
51 Posts
The recommended motor for the ARF Sbach kit was a 28xx 1400kv ... probabaly ok for a 4S LIPO ... but I opted to try it on a 3S LIPO (didn't want to buy 4S batteries just for this plane).

My mistake ... needs more power to fly well on 3S ... oh well .. all good now.
protoplasmia is offline Find More Posts by protoplasmia
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:37 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by protoplasmia View Post
The recommended motor for the ARF Sbach kit was a 28xx 1400kv ... probabaly ok for a 4S LIPO ... but I opted to try it on a 3S LIPO (didn't want to buy 4S batteries just for this plane).

My mistake ... needs more power to fly well on 3S ... oh well .. all good now.
I would have been inclined to try an 8x6 on the first motor - try and get thrust up on the 3S set-up.
It's something I thought about on the Edge ... but the 7x6 was excellent match.

Nigel