HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:55 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,575 Posts
It will be interesting as the prop size given with it indicates speed rather than aerobatics ... I may try a lower pitch and up the diameter ... but first will give it a fair go at stock.

What I am interested in actual real-life thrust vs weight figures ... if it's purely fast - then I will be looking to get the T:W up to make it more fun. HK say 1600 : 650 ... which if true is very good ...

I note that quite a few fly this on 3S and not 4S ... if it's still well powered that is good as I can substitute a 2200 3S for similar weight as a 1800 4S, which will make a good difference to flight times.

I have about a week before I return home ... so I'm itching to get back !!

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:54 AM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,704 Posts
Looks like Horizon is fixing to come out with a mini-Edge now:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-basic-EFL6250

Just a little smaller than the HK one, yet well under half the weight (close to a third the weight!). And 3S power not 4S. Now that's more like it. (Except that it's double the cost!)
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:19 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk1 View Post
Looks like Horizon is fixing to come out with a mini-Edge now:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-basic-EFL6250

Just a little smaller than the HK one, yet well under half the weight (close to a third the weight!). And 3S power not 4S. Now that's more like it. (Except that it's double the cost!)
I noticed its using a 450mah battery, and the weight reduction etc indicate its likely a floaty aerobatic model rather than a racer so it hard to compare to the Edge550 in this thread. It looks like a nice aircraft anyway.
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:49 AM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,704 Posts
Yes well as a so-called "racer," it's not really very fast. Like I said before, my Edge "racer" was about the same top speed as my stock Corsair "funfighter" on 3S LiPo, which I dopplered at 75 mph....and nowhere near the speed of one of my "funfighter" planes on 4S (which I clocked at 109). So the Edge "racer" didn't really excel at either aerobatics OR speed...which sort of makes me wonder what the point of the "racer" series is....other than being kind of cute...and cheap.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:18 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk1 View Post
..other than being kind of cute...and cheap.
A lot of men are attracted to "cute and cheap" even though they might not perform as well as a less glamorous types in the kitchen
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:10 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,575 Posts
As I read it ... comparison of this model with a Corsair on 3S shows little difference. But surely this model is spec'd for 4S and therefore an unfair comparison ?

What I would expect is better duration on 3S with less speed ... so I would increase prop on a 3S to get back up for aerobatics not speed. That means diameter.
On the 4S - run stock for speed ... or up diameter, reduce pitch for aerobatics.

Nigel
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:31 AM
Joined Aug 2008
49 Posts
Just to share,

I have clocked above 25 flights on this birdie and i am loving it.
Flight is based on 4s 1800 mah as recommended and i am using HK NTM

Motor is the NTM 28-36 696 Watts with the motor accessory pack with 40 amp esc. Speed is definitely above 100 mph.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21481

Here is a recent photo. I didnt use the attached spinner as i felt it was too big.

Landing this plane is like landing a fast funjet..... the glide is long even after cutting power at low attitudes....

will do mods later to push this bird faster. But this bird is well reinforced at the elevator etc ...
chessgame is offline Find More Posts by chessgame
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:54 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgame View Post
J the glide is long even after cutting power at low attitudes....
I was caught off guard by that as well. After reading all the tip stall/high wing loading complaints in the forums prior to my maiden I came in low and hot thinking this plane would drop like a stone once I powered off, only to have it sail past me like my Zephyr glider on a low wind day. I'm just waiting for this endless 30-40kmh wind from hell to depart my flying field so I can send it up with a GPS logger on board and confirm some reported speeds.

Mick
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:02 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,575 Posts
Now this sounds better !

No disrespect to prev. posts etc. but my take on the model given it's design parameters etc. made me go for it expecting speed and aerobatics. The glide in last two have noted does not surprise me ..

Boy am I looking fwd to getting home and opening my box !!
Once winter kicks in at home - I have packed snow / hard ice providing good runways where summer is rough ground.

Nigel
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:49 PM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,535 Posts
well I bought an sbach (supposed to have larger wing surface area so opted for that instead of the edge).
I run it on 3s nano 2200 because that's what I had handy at the time. balance was 55mm from leading edge of the wing and for the first time I didn't have to add any balancing weight. the a/c seemed heavy but I thought to give it a go....
its a flipping flying brick. landing gear is made out of 3mm wire and you guessed it
... its weak. prop is 7x5 if memory serves me right and with a 3s is ok. with a 4s it will probably operate at very low efficiency.
it fits on the back if my boot though and a carbon landing gear will go on her soon. I will look into a different prop and get this bird loose some weight. probably cut cavities at the wings and fit solarfilm or something. bottom line. if you expect this thing to be a floater think again. there is nothing to resemble an sbach here, just the looks. definitely not a 3d model, I wouldn't even call it performance model. flying brick is a more honest description, mind you its a good project to slim her down....
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:03 PM
H-King, DuraFly, Turnigy
Joined Mar 2008
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
well I bought an sbach (supposed to have larger wing surface area so opted for that instead of the edge).
I run it on 3s nano 2200 because that's what I had handy at the time. balance was 55mm from leading edge of the wing and for the first time I didn't have to add any balancing weight. the a/c seemed heavy but I thought to give it a go....
its a flipping flying brick. landing gear is made out of 3mm wire and you guessed it
... its weak. prop is 7x5 if memory serves me right and with a 3s is ok. with a 4s it will probably operate at very low efficiency.
it fits on the back if my boot though and a carbon landing gear will go on her soon. I will look into a different prop and get this bird loose some weight. probably cut cavities at the wings and fit solarfilm or something. bottom line. if you expect this thing to be a floater think again. there is nothing to resemble an sbach here, just the looks. definitely not a 3d model, I wouldn't even call it performance model. flying brick is a more honest description, mind you its a good project to slim her down....
I recommend using a 4s 1800mah otherwise your missing the point of this product.
will3d4food is offline Find More Posts by will3d4food
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:08 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,575 Posts
Have to agree ........the model does say it's a 4S machine ... seems a bit unfair to knock it when trying out on 3S ...

Bit like putting a Pinto engine in a Mustang !

Nigel
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined Aug 2008
49 Posts
I dont understand. Why are we talking about efficiency ?
This plane is pure speed.

i just want to make it go faster.. i dont care about efficiency

ok ok..

if u want to fly 3s.. upsize the prop.. you are not using the recommended battery, so u need to upside the prop. try something closer to 9x6 and u will find a better balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
chessgame is offline Find More Posts by chessgame
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:08 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgame View Post
I dont understand. Why are we talking about efficiency ?
This plane is pure speed.

i just want to make it go faster.. i dont care about efficiency

ok ok..

if u want to fly 3s.. upsize the prop.. you are not using the recommended battery, so u need to upside the prop. try something closer to 9x6 and u will find a better balance.
Totally agree .....

Nigel
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:00 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,575 Posts
OK - now home from travels and in a few minutes had this little baby together and ready to go.

I really like the wing / stab mount ideas with the locking tabs .... the dual rod elevators meaning that they can be tuned ....

I have a few items left over ... 2 clevis and two long machine screws .... nowhere for those to go !!

The motor mount on mine is straight with no bent corner ...

Only area I had to modify was to get mt 'pilot' in - had to remove the CF spar in the cockpit hatch ... cut out a section to glue 'pilot' to and then glue back in with CF spar ....

I put in a 1600 4S 35C Zippy compact and balanced just ahead of wing CF spar ... which looks fine by eye ! Remains to be seen what flight is like !

Really looking fwd to maiden once weather improves !!

Nigel