HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:50 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Hobbyking Edge 540 v3 800mm CG

So it appears the common correction we are using to get this plane stable is a CG between 28-32mm.

If anybody is considering adding a gyro to this bird i've attached a picture below showing where one will fit quite neatly. Mine is glued in place with a dab of EPO glue. Dont use double sided tape as it wont stick reliably to the EPO.
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:40 AM
Joined Aug 2008
49 Posts
Gyro.. why need it ? mine is between my ears...ha ha..
ok. my view is that is added weight and this plane is really build for speed..

More flight experience. :
1. I am doing my via hand throw. You dont need to throw hard, but you do need to pump the throttle. Like i said, it is like the fun jet. In fact, i will recommend strongly not to throw to hard, but make sure you get enough thrust ... and point a bit higher than necessary...like 30-45% off horizon... then it just goes up and everything is smooth for there.

I didnt do that in my last flight.. was too cautious with the throttle, and the plane came down a bit hard. The force of it ripped the mount.. Fixable, but thinking if i should just strengthen it like Bravo47 did.

2. My plane dives at full throtlle as opposed to going up. I have it trimmed straight at half throttle .

So my understanding is that means that i need more up thrust in motor direction right ? Comments welcome ..

Problem is, if that is correct, then i have problem as i am max up out here because of the cowl. May need to do a bigger hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
So it appears the common correction we are using to get this plane stable is a CG between 28-32mm.

If anybody is considering adding a gyro to this bird i've attached a picture below showing where one will fit quite neatly. Mine is glued in place with a dab of EPO glue. Dont use double sided tape as it wont stick reliably to the EPO.
chessgame is offline Find More Posts by chessgame
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:58 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgame View Post
Gyro.. why need it ? mine is between my ears...ha ha..
ok. my view is that is added weight and this plane is really build for speed..
The gyro is probably not nessessary. I just added it as a precaution pryor to my maiden flight after reading all the tip stall complaints that now appear to be more related to a cg correction rather than the high wing loading that it was attributed to in the past. Weight gain with the gyro creates no problem for the kind of flight i engage in.

Regards the engine thrust angle. My mount is a 3mm base, 3mm x 20mm ss screws with lock nuts. There is a washer stack of 20x .5mm thick 3mm washers which equals 10mm per mount. Total cost was $2 as I already had a little piece of scrap 50mm alloy angle lying about my garage. So far flight tests have left me with the lower mounts 1.5mm or 3 washers shorter than the upper mounts. The thrust angles looks to be approx 2-3 right and 1deg down. Hobbyking recomend 3deg right and 0deg down thrust for this aircraft. I still have not done any fast flight yet on this aircraft because I'm waiting on some propellers to arrive, so these values could change. We have 40km/h winds forcast this weekend so I might be grounded for another week perhaps some glider flight if i'm lucky.

Mick
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
For those of you with one of these and a HK funfighter .

Which one would you recommend , or would you recommend neither ?

I'm looking for an aerobatic foamie , just something to practice a few manoeuvres and tricks on .

Thanks
AWalters is offline Find More Posts by AWalters
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:00 PM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,786 Posts
Funfighter is a better proposition IMHO.. just as much if not better speed with smaller packs. Flies nicer too.. RareBear/T28 & P47 all fly great! (own all of these). Not really aerobatic.. more speed machines for going fast and turning left. FF are T/A/E only.

There are better models for aero's if that's your thing..
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Aug 2008
49 Posts
Fun Fighter uses small packs 4s 800 mah. After that plane died, i really did not know what else to do with the packs. Speed wise, the fun fighter is really a bang.
But there is a max you can do with the upgrades because of the lack of firewall space and motor/esc combination upgrades

Racer is using 4s 1800 mah which i can use for my other planes..
There are a couple of mods this plane which can be done to strength the firewall especially for a more power motor/esc combination.. but the stock carbon reinforcement on the wings/elevator looks good.It is definitely more "aerobatic" but dont think this plane can ever compare with F3A kind flying or be slow in doing these aerobatics.. ha ha...

But i may be wrong on the being slow to do aerobatics becos someone posted here using 3s 1300 packs, and with a "light" motor/esc comb, 9x6 prop, maybe that is possible.

If u do choose the fun series, go for funfigher rarebear for looks.. the rest of the series for looks seems odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWalters View Post
For those of you with one of these and a HK funfighter .

I'm looking for an aerobatic foamie , just something to practice a few manoeuvres and tricks on .

Thanks
chessgame is offline Find More Posts by chessgame
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:24 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWalters View Post

Thanks
Hobbyking's YAK55 is a kick arse aircraft that will put a smile on your face. Its not the prettiest aircraft but has a huge fun factor and flies beautifully in all weather conditions.

Link - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17521

Mick
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:00 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
I managed quick flight tonight just before sunset. Its still going through the setup teething process, but im getting a little closer each flight. CG is set at 32mm from LE. The flight went ok I guess, but I had to switch off the gyro inflight due to some flutter. I messed up the landing three times as well. The first attempt was an over shoot then abort. The second time a clue less spectator did not see any probs driving under my landing approach, and on the third my vertical speed was too great resulting in me tearing off the landing gear Flying was uneventfull, but I still need to back off the AILE rate a little. I'm liking this aircraft, and I am hoping to get a setup that I'm happy with before I destroy it. The video quality is not the greatest as I just used some of them cheapo spy sunglasses off Ebay, but you can see this little EDGE550 can fly slower without tip stalling and its glide slope is quite long without a head wind to slow you down.

Mick

Link-
Hobbyking Edge 540 v3 800mm Racer (4 min 24 sec)
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:09 AM
Joined Mar 2011
24 Posts
Just got one of these , gonna be flying it on 3s and 2200 kv 2826/6 anyone else using similar setup. How are the stock servos?
collective itch is offline Find More Posts by collective itch
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:08 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
I just ordered the Edge ... always liked the look ...

I have a few 1500 - 1600 4S packs and also plenty of 2200 3S ...

When people quote control movements ... can they say how many mm up / down and where measured ? Saying % is waste of time to most ... and degrees is only a little better ! mm gives an absolute figure.

Cheers
Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:42 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by collective itch View Post
Just got one of these , gonna be flying it on 3s and 2200 kv 2826/6 anyone else using similar setup. How are the stock servos?
See my post #130.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
When people quote control movements ... can they say how many mm up / down and where measured ? Saying % is waste of time to most ... and degrees is only a little better ! mm gives an absolute figure.
See my post #87, third paragraph.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini-warbird retract mod
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:20 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk1 View Post
See my post #87, third paragraph.
I noted you were good enough to quote mm .... but look at others who are quoting % ... first I thought was DR or Expo .... but no - it's control movement ...

% of what ?

Just a note that I'm terrible for setting a high level of movement and loads of expo now ... I used to not use expo, but once I appreciated it's use - it's changed my ideas.

Cheers
Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:41 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
My Edge550 is getting close now to being dialed how i like it. So I cranked open the throttle this morning at the field for the first time. It flew very reliably with the exception of when it was at top speed near the end of a full throttle pass where I would get some flutter. The speed was I'm guessing at between 85-95mph. I know with my other foam models that anything in excess of 80mph starts to stress the wing into a flutter, but I do have a gyro on the AILE as well so that could still need a little tweaking. I should have had the sense to turn the gyro off before my pack was running low and try another pass. I will do that next flight. I'm curious though on other peoples experience at full speed. Could somebody tell me is their Edge550 stable at top speed, or does it get a bit of a wobble up?

Mick
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:10 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,786 Posts
Mine seemed pretty stable.. that was on 4S 1800 pack..
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:17 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletMaster View Post
Mine seemed pretty stable.. that was on 4S 1800 pack..
Thanks Bullet, i'll rein the gyro gain in a smidgen next flight and see how it goes.

Mick